AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Which of these can be gill fluke bearers?

Registered Member

Default Which of these can be gill fluke bearers?

Hello lads. I have a little question about which of my fish can be gill fluke bearers. After a disaster yesterday where i lost my alpha male discus i'm not using pratzi ever again (2nd time with pratzi disaster...) and i will take care of gill flukes with the potasium cure.. However my question is simply if i can rule out any of my fish from the potassium cure since it's a lot of work with it and hard on the fish. Before any questions these fish is spread out in several tanks so don't worry about that.

Possible gill fluke bearers:

corydoras adolfoi
    lepardfrog pleco
    betta splendens
    pearl gurami
    gibbiceps
    ancistrus sp
    l-144
    siamese algae eater
    and my discus

I'm not adding the disease form since i just need to know if all of these fish can carry gill flukes, or not!

Thanks in advance,
    Fred

Default Re: Which of these can be gill fluke bearers?

I think all of them can have gill flukes except for the leopard frog pleco. Most fish can carry gill flukes, but I'm pretty sure that plecos aren't included. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

Real Name
    Rick

I dont see why a pleco couldn't host gill flukes...body flukes might have a little harder time.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

All of them plus the eggs can be all over the tank and nearly impossible to kill. Are you sure you have flukes? Have you seen them?

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    --Don--

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
    All of them plus the eggs can be all over the tank and nearly impossible to kill. Are you sure you have flukes? Have you seen them?

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    Pretty sure, yes. Occasionaly they will be breating with only one gill. They also have a habbit of breathing quickly. They seem to be scratching sometimes, too. Hmm, so if i need all of them in the same quartine tank during the potassium cure it will be well crowded. =/ Probably would turn out to be way to much extra stress. :/

Not only the fish, you will have to wipe the tanks too, so use the PP in every tank, and repeat treatment to get rid of the baby flukes once they hatch as you can not kill the eggs. Try to find out if the scale less fish you have are sensible to PP before using it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    Not only the fish, you will have to wipe the tanks too, so use the PP in every tank, and repeat treatment to get rid of the baby flukes once they hatch as you can not kill the eggs. Try to find out if the scale less fish you have are sensible to PP before using it.
    Yeah. My plan is to run the treatment in my 250liter tank that is currently drying up. I will move all my fish over there. Then i will dry out my main tank, throw away the sand, plants, dry out roots and filters... Oh my. One hell of a job i got carved out. But sounds to me like you saying that i don't need to dry out the tanks as long as i repeat treatments. I'm currious about that. Iv'e heard the eggs can wait several months with hatching and therefor i need to dry out all my equipment. Which one is correct? If your correct i would save a lot of work

Eggs will hatch if the rights conditions are met, eg. fish in the acuarium. Someone else might confirm it but I do not thing you need to dry out everything, just repeat the PP treatment every couple of weeks. In any case make sure of the life cycle of the fukes, the idea is to allow the eggs to hatch but treat before the baby flukes mature to reproduce.

Talking about BB tanks as a planted tank with substrate and so on will be to much of organic matter for the PP to be effective.
    Last edited by 100fuegos; 01-28-2013 at 10:28 AM.