AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: what metal material is used for screening eggs and where can you buy it?

Default what metal material is used for screening eggs and where can you buy it?

Hi Everyone,

Can someone confirm which type of metal screening is used to screen eggs? Also where can I buy some.

Thanks

Default Re: what metal material is used for screening eggs and where can you buy it?

Ive been using gutter gaurd ,its aliuminum,and you can get it at any big chain,Menards,Home Depot.Some on here use something similar out of platic.Mine came in a small roll.I boiled it before using.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Default Re: what metal material is used for screening eggs and where can you buy it?

Thanks for the feedback. I will give it a try.

Registered Member

Hi Bill. Can you expain what boiling the aluminun does to make it safe to use i the discys tank? I thought I read that aluminun when exposed to tak water with a pH below 7.0 and lower can be toxic to the fish. I understand that mosy hobbyist use galvanized netting, as galvanized metal neeting is safe as galvanized metal is used in make feed and water bowls for other animals without giving off any toxic residue into the water, thus making it safe to use a net guard for discus cone. Check out some of the discus cones used by most Asain discus/ angelfish on Youtube and one will see the wire they use is galvanized

Quote Originally Posted by ausuriello2nd View Post
    Hi Bill. Can you expain what boiling the aluminun does to make it safe to use i the discys tank? I thought I read that aluminun when exposed to tak water with a pH below 7.0 and lower can be toxic to the fish. I understand that mosy hobbyist use galvanized netting, as galvanized metal neeting is safe as galvanized metal is used in make feed and water bowls for other animals without giving off any toxic residue into the water, thus making it safe to use a net guard for discus cone. Check out some of the discus cones used by most Asain discus/ angelfish on Youtube and one will see the wire they use is galvanized
    I just boiled it because it was from Menards and I didnt know what nasty's it had picked up from the warehouse or being on the shelf.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by ausuriello2nd View Post
    It never occurred to me aluminum might be toxic at low ph,but a quick google search,and there was a lot to wade thru,appears that it is.Couldnt really find at how low,but quick scanned enough to cause me to stop using them.Picked up some other ones from a guy quitting,and they are galvanized,and they were my go to screens,so didnt use the aliuminum ones that much.Learn something new every day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

You may want to check into the galvanized as well, we used to breed and raise parrots and stainless steel was the only metal considered safe. I use plastic gutter guard to protect eggs in my tank, just be sure to weight it to keep it from floating up.
    Bill

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default what metal material is used for screening eggs and where can you buy it?

I also use plastic gutter guard. I hold it together with zip ties that weight it down enough to keep it on the bottom.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker