ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Room Temp

Default Room Temp

I use to raise Angels and had over 120 tanks of various sizes. Instead of buying heaters for each tank I heated the whole room. It made it easier to transfer fish from tank to the next. I bought 20 automatic water changers. They hung on the sides of the tank and sprayed a thin stream of water and also suck out water at the same time. I bred all the types of angel that there where at the time in the mid 90s. I usually kept the outside temp in the mid 80s. Just wondering what to keep the out side temp for discus? Mid 90s?

I am in a different house now and have well water that is not near as hard as the city water was. Right now I have a a 180 gallon tank with africans in it. I did have a variety of them but the red zebras took over. I also have about 6 tanks and some equipment left over from angel breeding. I did have some discus about 8 years ago but lost them because of heater failure. I had to get out of the breeding business because of the over head, humidity and a large family.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Room Temp

I heat my entire fish house. I try to keep the water at 82. I find keeping the air temp around 85 seems to work well for my setup.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

What kind of heater are you using. I was using a ceramic heater. Luckily I never had a brake down. Also John you are lucky being where you are. I live in Wisconsin where out temps can get below zero. I always am hearing what your temps are like as I have 2 kids in Houston. Although we had near 100 degree weather this last summer. I drive a Goldwing and it was like driving in front of a blow dryer. I have some issues to take care 1st before I set up for discus but hopefully I'll get going soon.

First off Houston sucks....I hate that place. Way to humid for me...LOL.

I use a 97% efficient propane furnace. I live out in the country so I do not have natural gas. On my first attempt I used electric heat but it did not work well. It was very expensive and the humidity was unreal. I had a dehumidifier but it could not keep up.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

I know what you mean the electric heater drove my bill up sky high. It was fun while it lasted though. My favorites where the black angels (lace and plain). Here's a link to the a forum with the above mentioned water changer. http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...anger-Meridian It looks like they aren't for sale anymore. I know if you have hard water they would clog up after a while. I have not looked into it but I am sure there is a better system by now. I still have a couple left and use them on my African tank.
    I have been to the discusnada site already. Thanks

Does this site have private messages?

Yes. Not sure it you have to have a minimum number of post or not. I have been here so long I forget what requirements apply.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

I had one of those water changers. It was a real handy gadget. I just moved it from tank to tank. That was in the early 80's. I don't think it is made anymore.

Registered Member

You have to have 10 posts before this site allows PM's

I still have a few of those water changers. Wonder why they are not on the market anymore?