AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Moon Dragon Flowerhorn Project. Just got about 600 wigglers from this pair.

Default My Moon Dragon Flowerhorn Project. Just got about 600 wigglers from this pair.

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: My Moon Dragon Flowerhorn Project. Just got about 600 wigglers from this pair.

What happened to the days of all these hybrids being sterile....guess we aren't as lucky anymore lol. Not personally a fan but wow, the eggs are everywhere.
    -Matt

Default Re: My Moon Dragon Flowerhorn Project. Just got about 600 wigglers from this pair.

ok now i get u hybrid guy lol
    mike
    37gal comm
    55 discus growout
    75 african cics

Matt, Central American cichlids can all freely hybridize with one another. This is unlike South American cichlids (except for festae, which are closely related to Central American cichlids). This is why you see so many hybrids of Central Americans.

Congrats but not my flavor.
    - Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    What happened to the days of all these hybrids being sterile....guess we aren't as lucky anymore lol. Not personally a fan but wow, the eggs are everywhere.
    Certain strains of flowerhorn are sterile. Most Kamfa males are either sterile or take 2-3 years to mature. An easy way to remember it is a Trimac based male will be fertile while almost all females are fertile no matter what strain. So typically a person will breed a trimac based fish aka Zhen Zhu to a Zhen Zhu based female or a kamfa female. What i did in the video is one way you create kamfa. You breed a King Kong Parrot female to a Zhen Zhu male and you will get better looking flowerhorns as far as body and fin structure goes. The females will be fertile while the males will be sterile. So you then pick out the most colored up female and breed her back to dad to help lock in the pearl trait. The pair that i crossed in the video will throw a small percentage of highly colored/pearled fish. This is what i'm after with this pair.

Quote Originally Posted by DLock3d View Post
    Congrats but not my flavor.
    Thanks! Yeah i know most people here are not into flowerhorns. I'm in the minority here. This is a discus forum after all, lol. My brother isn't into flowerhorns either but is big into discus and rams. Me personally, i love flowerhorns. I am not close minded about fish keeping. My 3 favorite types of fish are Rams, Flowerhorns and discus. In that order too. The reason i love these 3 fish is because of the broad aspect of entertainment and satisfaction they bring to the table. Discus are my peaceful fish when i want to just chill and watch graceful art in motion. Rams are my comical spunky little bursts of color that i love to watch when i want to be entertained and Flowerhorns are my big wet pets. Flowerhorns are the most intelligent of the 3, by far, from my experience and they are by FAR the most interacive of the 3. Mine are never afraid of my hand and they actually come to my hand if i stick it in the tank. They want and crave interaction. The only time i don't like sticking my hands in the tank is when they are spawning, lol. I love me a big beautiful flowerhorn that loves my company. They are colorful and very tenacious. They are 'THE' wet pet as far as i'm concerned and i love their agressive behavior that screams " I LOVE LIFE!"
    These are the 3 loves of my aquarium hobby. I enjoy them all emensely. I feel blessed to be able to find enjoyment and satisfaction in several different types of fish. I'm like this in other aspects of my life as well. Another is music. I love lots of different types of music. It would suck if i had to listen to one type all the time, lol.

Registered Member

Awesome and congrats. I've bred red Texas and have had a few fh's. nice to see something familiar here

Registered Member

Any update on these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by redlionvjx View Post
    Any update on these guys?
    Yes. I just had my first culling today matter of fact. I wish i knew how to post pictures on this forum but i do not. I will just paste a link again.

http://flowerhornrusforum.com/topic/8797796/1/#new

Default My Moon Dragon Flowerhorn Project. Just got about 600 wigglers from this pair.

Not seen so many eggs in one time do they lays so many eggs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SANDY

Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    Not seen so many eggs in one time do they lays so many eggs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, many of the big SA and CA cichlids can lay upwards of 2 thousand eggs in one spawning. It is no different for flowerhorns and King Kong parrots as they derive from trimacs, midas, viejas, etc.. Basically with flowerhorns, though, you need the big numbers because most of the fry in a spawn are not what the breeder is looking for so heavy culling is involved. Where as a good discus spawn may only contain 100-300 fry, the breeder is able to market a higher percentage of that spawn compared to a flowerhorn spawn which though may have 1000-2000 eggs, the breeder will likely only get about 2% of that spawn to market. It's just the nature of the beast.

The title of this thread says 600 fry but my count was off, lol. I ended up having about 900-1000.

I love my flowerhorn too. He is the hardiest fish I've ever had. He does not need but but one meal a day and weekly WC.

I have some nice pics to share soon.

Registered Member dadecountyalan's Avatar

please post them!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast