ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Moon Dragon Flowerhorn Project. Just got about 600 wigglers from this pair.

Registered Member

Default Re: My Moon Dragon Flowerhorn Project. Just got about 600 wigglers from this pair.

Most definitely this batch will be about 3/4 faders. i've notice most of the time i breed fhs. The females genes are more of a higher chance of what the frys will be.
    Imo, instead of breeding a female from that batch with the dad, find another male with bigger kok and pearls around the head, the frys will turn out to be your masterpieces.
    good luck with them. Dealt with the same amount of frys before and so much $$$ went to food. ;P

Default Re: My Moon Dragon Flowerhorn Project. Just got about 600 wigglers from this pair.

Thanks for the posts guys. I love flowerhorns very much. My goal is to create a strain with all of the desired aspects of a quality flower horn. Color intensity and contrast, thick square bodies, pearls throughout body and across the head, wrapped tail and ofcourse head. This spawn in this thread is one of many from this pair and I am no longer using the male in my breeding program. A lot of people think that a super flowerhorn is created through breeding two high quality horns together and you get the same quality fish. This is rarely true. It takes about 3 generations to get the kind of fish i'm after. This is why I have fry from 4 different sets of parents and am in the process of cross breeding them. It has taken me a long time to even get to this point but my patience seems to be paying off. Right now I have full body red fry with full body pearls and wrapped fins. And some fry already developing head. I think one of the worst mistakes people make when breeding flowerhorns is going for the head gene immediately while sacrificing color and pearl intensity. Flowerhorns have been bred for two decades now. All carry head gene. You just need the numbers to be able to get some fry with big head. That's why I have chosen breeders who come from stock with color and pearls and wrapped finnage. Wrapped fins are the hardest to get out of all the desired traits. Atm I am on my phone. When I get home I will snap some shots of a few fry to show off their progress. I have bred flowerhorns for years but it is only now that I have had the success that I have been having lately. I have found out that I have had to think outside the lines of traditional breeding methods to get where i'm at right now.
    Last edited by Bilbo; 08-02-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Bibo

Love to see your fish. How do you keep up with that many FH? I have one fader bought from Petco for $12 and he is growing out nicely except for his scared face. I'm just curious if it's from fighting. What do you think?

Btw, only 2% of this spawn faded.

Here are a few of my fry. They are 2 inches. Flowerhorns are kind of like discus in regards to their color development. Whatever you see at this small size will intensify drastically until they are about a year old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

If you shipped I might pick some of these up as I just started out with flowerhorns. They are fun fish for sure.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

I have shipped many times. But unfortunately these are not for sale. These fry are my breeder grow outs. The next generation is going to be much better anyway. If you would like to stay in touch, I would gladly hook you up next generation. It will be the completion of my Moon Dragon strain. You will need to prepare a tank for a BIG wet pet, though! LOL. These fish do great by themselves in a big rock display with the guests walking through the living room and saying "Wow!! What kind of fish is that!!" This is my goal. There are no main stream breeders of flowerhorns in the USA that offer consistant quality fish. I am trying to be the first.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbobaggins View Post
    I have shipped many times. But unfortunately these are not for sale. These fry are my breeder grow outs. The next generation is going to be much better anyway. If you would like to stay in touch, I would gladly hook you up next generation. It will be the completion of my Moon Dragon strain. You will need to prepare a tank for a BIG wet pet, though! LOL. These fish do great by themselves in a big rock display with the guests walking through the living room and saying "Wow!! What kind of fish is that!!" This is my goal. There are no main stream breeders of flowerhorns in the USA that offer consistant quality fish. I am trying to be the first.
    That's a great goal.

there is mine for an idea of what I have. It's obviously about 2-3 inches larger now and more colorful. Very similar to your male. I have no idea what strain it is as the only thing I know about them is that I have one in my basement. LOL They are very personable though!
    -Brandon
    B's Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by Trier20 View Post
    That's a great goal.

there is mine for an idea of what I have. It's obviously about 2-3 inches larger now and more colorful. Very similar to your male. I have no idea what strain it is as the only thing I know about them is that I have one in my basement. LOL They are very personable though!
    Cool beans! Yours is a standard zz strain. My male in this thread is a Platinum. I have had different males in my breeding program. Red Dragon, Silk and SRT males as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PP_GBR View Post
    Bibo

Love to see your fish. How do you keep up with that many FH? I have one fader bought from Petco for $12 and he is growing out nicely except for his scared face. I'm just curious if it's from fighting. What do you think?
    Most likely his scarred face is either from a vicious fight or a disease. Most flowerhorns heal 100% from fights though.
    As far as so many fry... cull, cull and cull again. I end up keeping about 2% of a spawn.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbobaggins View Post
    Cool beans! Yours is a standard zz strain. My male in this thread is a Platinum. I have had different males in my breeding program. Red Dragon, Silk and SRT males as well.
    Once again good luck and keep us updated. It will be interesting to see how your strain progresses.
    -Brandon
    B's Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by redlionvjx View Post
    Awesome and congrats. I've bred red Texas and have had a few fh's. nice to see something familiar here
    Thank you very much! And do you have any pictures of your Red Texas breedings? I have Red Texas blood in my line of Moon Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by PP_GBR View Post
    I love my flowerhorn too. He is the hardiest fish I've ever had. He does not need but but one meal a day and weekly WC.
    Flowerhorns are definitely fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Trier20 View Post
    Once again good luck and keep us updated. It will be interesting to see how your strain progresses.
    Thanks! And will stay updated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast