ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Southern California Discus Club

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

Default Re: Southern California Discus Club

BTW, this list of questions is just a start. It needs much more thought in order to be useful.
    No matter how hard you try,
    You can't beat fun!

Maybe we can organize a club inside the forum lol, welcome Spike, i like the sosial part of meetings my self I will talk to Ricardo

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

In the koi clubs, I've found that the newbies gravitate to the information aspects and the "old timers" gravitate to the social parts of club meetings. If you don't have both aspects, you lose one group or the other. But whatever you do, if you don't work diligently to exclude bickering, you will invariably lose members and, if it gets bad enough, the club literally falls apart. I strongly suspect that these principles would apply to most hobby clubs.

In successful koi clubs that I've been involved in, there is typically a meeting once a month at a member's home, at a koi dealership or at a public location with a koi pond. There is frequently (at least 1/2 the time) a speaker that presents information directly relating to koi. There is usually also a pot-luck lunch and social time. Recently there have even been Skype presentations from knowledgeable folks not located locally. This doesn't mean that a discus club has to follow this recipe but if no one has better ideas, going with a model that's worked for others may be a good first shot.

BTW, there is at least one online koi club.

Spike
    Last edited by Spike Cover; 10-22-2015 at 07:05 PM.
    You can't beat fun!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

I'm not willing to do the work but here's a suggestion... see attached.
    I'd recommend starting any survey/poll with questions 1 thru 6. If there is sufficient interest, then move on to the rest of 'em.

Spike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You can't beat fun!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Cover View Post
    In the koi clubs, I've found that the newbies gravitate to the information aspects and the "old timers" gravitate to the social parts of club meetings. If you don't have both aspects, you lose one group or the other. But whatever you do, if you don't work diligently to exclude bickering, you will invariably lose members and, if it gets bad enough, the club literally falls apart. I strongly suspect that these principles would apply to most hobby clubs.

In successful koi clubs that I've been involved in, there is typically a meeting once a month at a member's home, at a koi dealership or at a public location with a koi pond. There is frequently (at least 1/2 the time) a speaker that presents information directly relating to koi. There is usually also a pot-luck lunch and social time. Recently there have even been Skype presentations from knowledgeable folks not located locally. This doesn't mean that a discus club has to follow this recipe but if no one has better ideas, going with a model that's worked for others may be a good first shot.

BTW, there is at least one online koi club.

Spike
    Let me just point something out, when dealing with Koi as compared to discus, the following is a lot more broad reaching than that of discus. Discus tend to be a fish that many people simply do not purchase as often, for a myriad of reasons really.

Being that we are on a discus forum though, we have a lot of like-minded individuals. However, locally, we are a little more far in between. A few of us regularly talk to each other, but rarely meet. I'd be up for the idea of a local club, BUT, I believe starting slow would be the key. What I mean is, having a meet every other month or something close to that time frame. In this way, we have a chance to build up interest per meet. Additionally, the place where we meet may be a problem since I don't know many LFS's or the like that carry quality discus to sell. Which in turn would mean meeting at someone's home. Many people, such as myself, only have 1 tank and I feel it would be somewhat akward to have a meet at my place where all we have to focus on is one single tank .

I like your digital suggestion. I can definitely create a thread where we gauge the interest and I can make a poll. In this very thread we have had many interested to attend a meet, but time has come and gone since.

I am not trying to be pessimistic, but more of a realist as to what it may actually take to start/run/keep running a club locally.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

I'm okay with not having a club. I just thought since there is 12 pages to this thread, there might be sufficient interest to get something started.
    Again, I'm willing to participate but not to organize.
    BTW, being in Koi typically takes thousands of dollars to get started (and often tens of thousands). For that reason, I thought there would be more folks in discus as I presumed it only takes hundreds of dollars to start with them. I guess I was wrong. Or maybe you think there are more Koi keepers in So Cal than there are. Don't know which.

Please let me know if anything ever comes of the So Cal discus club idea.

Spike

BTW, What just happened? LOL
    You can't beat fun!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Cover View Post
    I'm okay with not having a club. I just thought since there is 12 pages to this thread, there might be sufficient interest to get something started.
    Again, I'm willing to participate but not to organize.
    BTW, being in Koi typically takes thousands of dollars to get started (and often tens of thousands). For that reason, I thought there would be more folks in discus as I presumed it only takes hundreds of dollars to start with them. I guess I was wrong. Or maybe you think there are more Koi keepers in So Cal than there are. Don't know which.

Please let me know if anything ever comes of the So Cal discus club idea.

Spike

BTW, What just happened? LOL
    Subscribe to this thread and I can start a new thread soon with a poll and all the questions you mentioned.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Subscribe to this thread and I can start a new thread soon with a poll and all the questions you mentioned.
    I am already subscribed. Thx... Spike
    You can't beat fun!

Real Name
    Ricardo

For all of those interested in a local SoCal group, please visit the thread/sub-forum here:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...a-Discus-Club)

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tanner

Hey! i am new to this forum but i live in Ojai, ca. i would be interested in going to any discus meets/events

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by aquatanman View Post
    Hey! i am new to this forum but i live in Ojai, ca. i would be interested in going to any discus meets/events
    There's actually a pretty cool one coming up. Follow the link:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...12#post1241712

Welcome to the forum.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Casey

Hey, my name is Casey. How do I become a member of this club and join your meetings?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by LidoVentura View Post
    Hey, my name is Casey. How do I become a member of this club and join your meetings?
    It isn't an "official" club. It is just a way for us SoCal people to know who is in our area. The most commotion we had was actually this past weekend with Joey coming down from Canada to do a demo at Uncle Sam's fish room.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bethany

This thread looks super dead but if there is anyone interested in starting this up again, I am in Costa Mesa, CA.
    Long time fish nerd... just getting started with Discus and I am starting to realize how little I know!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

Hi Bethany,
    There seems to be posts but no action save a meeting 3 or 4 years ago. Ricardo tried to get something going, started taking names and locations of those interested but AFAIK, nothing came of it.
    I'd like to know discus people as if I ever get past getting ready to get ready, I may actually get a discus tank and would love to live all the pitfalls vicariously rather that kill a bunch of discus on my learning curve.
    I'm in Mission Viejo.
    Spike
    You can't beat fun!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast