AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    If I was spending less on the tank maybe I'd try it as I would like to learn at some point but if I was buying a Miracles or Reef Savvy or something like that the added cost of them doing the holes is well worth it IMO lol. They'll polish up all of the edges and everything will be straight and under warranty haha.
    Very true. If I were in your shoes, this is what I would do:

I would purchase the overflow first. Sorry but I forgot to link you to the overflow I told you about on ebay. That one gets great reviews everywhere and everyone knows that seller.
    I would ask the seller to make a template for you. I know the seller does this as a few members mentioned it to me.
    I would then send that off to whomever you are buying the tank from, and ask them to follow the template for you for the holes. This way, when you get it in, there are no surprises.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Yeah good call on that. Here is the Ghost Overflow. It's about $200 from Synergy and $235 from Reef Savvy. But its an excellent design and super thin, that's the selling point for me. Savvy's is a bit more expensive because I believe its a more updated version. Savvy owns the rights to it, Synergy can sell it but they can't really change or update it like Savvy can.

http://synergyreef.com/product/16-sy...reef-overflow/
    http://reefsavvy.com/the-reef-savvy-difference/
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Yeah good call on that. Here is the Ghost Overflow. It's about $200 from Synergy and $235 from Reef Savvy. But its an excellent design and super thin, that's the selling point for me. Savvy's is a bit more expensive because I believe its a more updated version. Savvy owns the rights to it, Synergy can sell it but they can't really change or update it like Savvy can.

http://synergyreef.com/product/16-sy...reef-overflow/
    http://reefsavvy.com/the-reef-savvy-difference/
    Here's the thing, there are 2 things with those designs that the members over RC hate, and I know because I've actually read ALL of Bean's thread, both of them! They hate these "knock offs" because they aren't coast to coast inner overflows. They also have "teeth". You get the best surface skimming with no teeth, and the larger the surface area, the more thin the water that goes over the inner overflow. This is the reason I chose to go the DIY route because I wanted to go full coast to coast, however, due to the way my bracing is set up, I can't pre-build the "L" shaped inner overflow to weld it to the inner tank. This would allow me a wider surface area as well as no teeth to not break up the tension in the water fall effect. Additionally, I would prefer 3x 1" holes on the back of my tank wall instead of the 2x 2" holes that come with these kits.

With all of this being said and done, I still may end up going with one of these (more than likely the ebay one because those come with no teeth and look super clean as well) because I am not sure if I am up to snuff to actually do the DIY overflows. I'm trying tomorrow though and I will let you know if I fail or not, lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

A 16" overflow on a 20" side of an aquarium will almost be coast to coast lol (Only problem I see here is finding space for return holes without getting to close to the seams). I like the Coast to coast style and no teeth, I understand its better skimming but there is no protection from snails and other critters maybe even fish going over. It would be nice to not even have a box inside the tank though. If I'm custom building this tank I guess it makes sense to go coast to coast.

That being said I take stuff I read on RC with a grain of salt these days lol, site has been going downhill for a while. Still decent reading in searches and looking at previous posts but I prefer Reef2Reef myself.

Savvy calls theirs "Hybrid External"
    Last edited by Discus-n00b; 05-29-2015 at 10:50 PM.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

I agree with you, if you are going custom, you can have them do that U joint during production. It will look clean and it will get the overflow box outside only. I was thinking about actually trying that but with my bracing I thought twice and I'm glad I did. You raise a really good point though, you can customize to have less clutter inside. The one thing these "ghost overflows" have is that they are discreet.

And yes, 16" on a 20" side is almost coast to coast lol. You can have the returns drilled by them as well. 2" on each side is fine so long as you are looking at a 1" return and you can bush it down to a 3/4 to adapt a loc line

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Well I finally did it. I just pulled the trigger on an Apex controller. I've been on the fence about it for so long but I figure I'd rather spend the money now as insurance so I won't lose more in livestock. Especially in a small tank like this where things can change so rapidly. Plus I can always use it if I upgrade, should be one of those pieces of equipment that last me a long time. I hate seeing the black eye to my bank account but I'm sure that will heal once I get it setup. Excited! I got the base unit package (lab grade probe) and the Vortech module. I will probably get the conductivity probe and the PM2 down the road but it's not something I need right now. I feel like the pH and Temp changing would be more likely.

Anyway, that's the latest update. I'm still toying with the upgrade idea....even to the point of playing in sketchup. This is only a test! Don't get to excited just yet. Tank is mocked up as a 40x24x20 with a steel stand. Rough renders too, I'm slowly teaching myself 3D rendering and this is my first go at it from Sketchup, still needs work and I need practice.

Last edited by Discus-n00b; 06-08-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Looks great to me. Love the cut out with the tinted glass/acrylic. I should have thought of that for my heater controller. I didn't want to incorporate mine in to my stand because my son loves to fiddle with things, and a heater controller is something I know I do not want him messing with. I love the integrated skimmer cut out for the Bean Animal setup. Do you know the dims for the outside box yet? Will you be using T-Slots for the stand and what will you use as the skinning of the stand?

That Apex is no joke! I think it is well worth it in a SW tank. FW, not so much. If I were ever to do a SW setup, I know that will be one of the first investments. Synergy sump?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Ricardo, well like I said this is no where near materializing yet but if I had to choose everything then I would be using square channel steel. Along with this is me actually learning to weld, something I've wanted to do for a while. Have some machinist friends and such so I'd love to learn as I go about this. My goal anyway, add a skill to my collection. The square channel would be 1.5" and I believe .120" wall is the general standard used for this application. Skinning the stand will either be some type of acrylic or wood panels with magnets counter sunk into the back side, easy on easy off type of deal maybe some handles on the sides like grooves, not sure about that yet. The panel shown in the last render on the side probably will be off or modified as that would be the open sump side. I just wanted to show it skinned.

The skimmer will actually be in the sump. Plumbing will go down through the bottom of the overflow box through a hole in the stand to the sump, I need to render the back side and overflow box so you can see. Right now the overflow box is drawn up as 7" deep and 5" wide I believe. 1" drains.

Looking at a Trigger Systems sump actually, a bit cheaper than a Synergy but seems like enough space. Colors of the stand and stuff aren't finalized yet, leaning towards white skinning and something else on the stand (powder coat). Red seems kinda cool, Vertex type of color scheme. Just trying to think of something different than the usual white or black powder coat jobs. You'll also notice under the stand I have some L Channel steel acting as a shelf for my doser which will be easy access to dripping into the sump, and behind that is a red tinted acrylic shield to protect any wiring that will be in the front of the stand from splashes. I'll try and do a bit more work and render more views.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

I meant skimming from the actual slot at the back of the tank, as in skimming the top of your water surface, not an actual skimmer. Any plans on which skimmer to go with? I checked out a few during my research and they get pricey real quick.

Have you considered going with Quick Frame for the stand?
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2500266

My next build with be a stand like that with removable panels like you mention. Acrylic panels would be so awesome as well. I'd recommend some kind of frosted like acrylic where it blurrs the behind the scenes items, but doesn't completely block them out. Kind of make it like the pc towers with see through shells .

I got what you are saying through your rendering with regards to the rear of the tank. Very similar to my 56g bowfront with the grommets right? I'm assuming you will have some kind of pvc support there? I did not add any to my overflow box and I am still scartching my head if I SHOULD. From my initial inspection it looks like it will be able to handle the weight, but I thought about adding some kind of supports by way of triangle shaped acrylic pieces, but with the weld on in place, it makes it impossible to get them in there square now. I may just support the PVC some other way now. Think about that when planning out your sketches. I would recommend it.

I'll check out those trigger sumps. I haven't seen them yet, but any sump you go with will be awesome if they custom build it for you. Although the one I ended up with is super simple, it is rather practical for my needs.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Oh! Haha yes, I see now. I tried to go pretty much coast to coast, I have 2 extra holes drilled into the overflow box in the drawing, thinking about just running return lines up through the same box and either straight into the back of the tank from the box or over the top of that edge with locline but not interrupting the flow. I looked at that quick frame Ricardo however it defeats the purpose of me learning how to weld haha. Which is why I was even looking at a steel stand in the first place tbh.

I thought about a window on the side that will be servicing the sump, like a PC tower. Panel will still be removable but I want to be able to see in quick and know if something is wrong or if water is going where its supposed to. With a nice light under the stand I think this could look pretty cool. I was leaning towards white acrylic panels because white would hide any salt deposit drips fairly well. And it has a bit of gloss to it.

Good call on the PVC support, I will look into that. It's pretty funny, this tank started out about 40x18x18, then went to 40x20x20, now its at 40x24x20 and only 8 inches short of my current glass rimless housing the Tropheus LOL. These things grow like fish tales.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Oh! Haha yes, I see now. I tried to go pretty much coast to coast, I have 2 extra holes drilled into the overflow box in the drawing, thinking about just running return lines up through the same box and either straight into the back of the tank from the box or over the top of that edge with locline but not interrupting the flow. I looked at that quick frame Ricardo however it defeats the purpose of me learning how to weld haha. Which is why I was even looking at a steel stand in the first place tbh.

I thought about a window on the side that will be servicing the sump, like a PC tower. Panel will still be removable but I want to be able to see in quick and know if something is wrong or if water is going where its supposed to. With a nice light under the stand I think this could look pretty cool. I was leaning towards white acrylic panels because white would hide any salt deposit drips fairly well. And it has a bit of gloss to it.

Good call on the PVC support, I will look into that. It's pretty funny, this tank started out about 40x18x18, then went to 40x20x20, now its at 40x24x20 and only 8 inches short of my current glass rimless housing the Tropheus LOL. These things grow like fish tales.
    Yes they do, but when rendering them, it is much easier to adjust for things than when you have the physical object! lol.

As far as welding goes, it is pretty easy actually. Luckily for me, I know how to Tig and Mig weld since my brother and father in law restore cars, I learned early on. So long as you have the adequate tools, you are good. Cutting isn't all that difficult either with steel. I like the look of steel stands, but they have to be worked on well to be acceptable IMHO. That means a lot of grind hours on it for seamless look and powder coated. There is no denying the strength of a steel stand though. They are built like beasts!

Keep us updated man. I will currently live my SW fascination vicariously through you

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

That's what I was aiming for lol Tig and Mig.

LOL thanks, could be a while but it's never to early to dream it.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Got the Apex setup today, wow was not as simple and as painless (plug and play) as I imagined it. Was actually a bit frustrating but it is just as cool as I imagined. More so frustrating if your internet router is downstairs away from the tank with no hardwire close. Then after getting firmware updated getting it online and connected via wireless. I don't know fully what I did but it's working now. The whole system is switched over to it, kind of a scary feeling. Good thing I'm tired or else I wouldn't sleep thinking about it lol. It will be fine, just a change is not something us fish keepers do well. I am excited to actually SEE what my pH and Temp are doing overnight via graphs. High tech world. I feel like i'm entering a new phase of the hobby, ready to step the game up.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

New pics! First some FTS, took them with the peak lighting schedule on so they are a bit washed out. And don't mind the slick on the top of the water, gross.....took care of that with a WC afterwards.

CC Oakland A's, growing it on a magnetic disc. Side macro and full front shot.

Hawkins

Got to have some Slimer shots, few macros.

Top of the Cali tort

Smoothskin type. I think this may be my CC Needles in a Haystack. I have 2 pretty similar so I may have them mixed up. Anyway one from the front and from above.

Crayola Plana right under the Needles in a Haystack.

And finally, one of the Onyx Clowns
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Lets see an update my man!

Cafepress.com

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast