AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Seems like I always have some bad luck on Christmas eve with this tank. First year I had it I crashed the entire tank on Christmas eve by doing a WC with freshwater unknowingly given to me by the LFS, my fault for not testing it. And from then on it seems like I've lost a coral every Christmas eve since lol. I think it's because the holidays get busy and I don't keep up on my water changes properly. The Crayola Plana above in the last two photos is starting to STN from the base. So I'll probably frag some tips off and see if I can save them. I just mixed water today so I might do a WC tonight but it might have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. This is the only coral in trouble it seems, sucks though it was a nice one.

Good news is there is a coral live sale going on the date of the 26th so I might pick up some new stuff to put in it's place! We'll see. Coral dying sucks but freeing up space is always amazing.
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hope you can save the tips Matt.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Sucks Matt. I hope it pulls through for you. Live auctions can be a whole other problem lol

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Well I fragged off the branches but it looks like it's to late they are starting to STN as well. Oh well, I tried. Some SPS are just real sensitive to changes and I think the Alk may have dipped a bit to much. Everything seems to be back and stable now after the WC and all of the other coral looks excellent. Like I said, it sucks but it also gives me space to add another or two to the rocks! I've been wanting to make an order from somewhere like Battlecorals so this may be the perfect opportunity. Still need to trade or sell a few on my rack that I don't plan to ever mount to the rocks.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Hopefully will be taking some photos today. Fragged a few things including a very nice stick of slimer. Had to remount a few things as the epoxy was failing and they haven't attached themselves to the rock yet so that made me accidently frag a bunch of stuff. Mainly the Hawkins and Slimer.

While you wait always remember to wear gloves!!! I was lazy yesterday during my WC and something got me. Not sure what but it and my skin did not mix. Soon after the WC this developed on my hand, seen it happen before. Rash with small blisters that itches like crazy, much like some sort of sting. I'm guessing I brushed the rock with the palythoa on it that or my 2 brains are the only thing in the tank with active stingers that would cause this. Since its concentrated in going to blame the palys. Wear gloves!!!!

-Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Gloves is one thing that I rarely see reefers speak about. I think that either A) It is a given in their hobby and I am not attuned to it, or B) They are all dare devils

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I don't usually wear them if I KNOW that all I'll be doing is holding the siphon hose during a WC. If I know I'll be fragging or moving rock I'll put on gloves...usually. Got lazy this time lol.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I don't usually wear them if I KNOW that all I'll be doing is holding the siphon hose during a WC. If I know I'll be fragging or moving rock I'll put on gloves...usually. Got lazy this time lol.
    ...and paid the price. BTW, you can't update this thread and not include a picture of the tank!

I think my tank build is about to stall. My wife and I decided to plan a Hawaii and Disney trip in the next 6 months and most of the funds will be going towards that now . I mean yay for travelling, but not so much for tank building, lol.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Haha pics will come, I got home late today and the lights are already going down.

Hey I'd trade Hawaii for starting a new tank any day of the week. Disney is a good time but much different than Hawaii would be haha....good for the kids at least.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Haha pics will come, I got home late today and the lights are already going down.

Hey I'd trade Hawaii for starting a new tank any day of the week. Disney is a good time but much different than Hawaii would be haha....good for the kids at least.
    Yeah, it is for them that we are planning it. My son loves cars and my daughter loves Princess stuff, so win/win for them. It costs an insane amount of money to go to Disneyland now-a-days. Doesn't help that we will be staying at their hotel for 3-4 days

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I took some pictures but it appears as if my focusing screen is scratched. Going to see what it looks like in post, some dust spots too further in. I'm going to order a new focusing screen from B&H tonight regardless, I just hope nothing else jumps in my cart.....I've been eyeing quite a few things. In June I will of had my 5DII for 6 years, that's pretty good for one body I'd say this day and age.

Off to the editing desk, might post tonight might post tomorrow if there are any worthy!
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Will look forward to it Matt.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Here are a few

-Matt

Wow Matt. you have some nice looking sticks in there. gloves? yeah. I have heard of many reefers that use them, I don't myself, although I am sure the first issue will change my mind.

Beautiful pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Ricardo

This is so NICE!

Those are some nice 'sticks'

Cafepress.com

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast