ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Something I also need to consider is upgrading. I'd love to upgrade the tank so maybe I should just hang on to the money and wait it out lol. No use buying a new HOB skimmer if I'd have a sump on the next system. Would be nice to make the move by the end of the year but still TBD.

Side note, I haven't dosed this tank with anything in a month. Slower growth for sure but still looks great. I want to get back to it, just need to figure out numbers again as far as how much per day.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Something I also need to consider is upgrading. I'd love to upgrade the tank so maybe I should just hang on to the money and wait it out lol. No use buying a new HOB skimmer if I'd have a sump on the next system. Would be nice to make the move by the end of the year but still TBD.

Side note, I haven't dosed this tank with anything in a month. Slower growth for sure but still looks great. I want to get back to it, just need to figure out numbers again as far as how much per day.
    Yeah I gotcha, be careful for RTN or STN in the Acropora of your calcium or kh gets to far out.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Matt

I'm feeling major regret not drilling my 100gal tank when I had it made. Would make such a nice reef tank, but it's not drilled and an HOB overflow just isn't as good. If it was drilled it would cost me less to turn that into a reef than get a new tank and upgrade almost from scratch. Might look into having to go traditional style rather than a new peninsula, will cost less but not sure yet....not sure it's what I want lol.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Zach

I'm feeling major regret not drilling my 100gal tank when I had it made. Would make such a nice reef tank, but it's not drilled and an HOB overflow just isn't as good. If it was drilled it would cost me less to turn that into a reef than get a new tank and upgrade almost from scratch. Might look into having to go traditional style rather than a new peninsula, will cost less but not sure yet....not sure it's what I want lol.
    Why not drill yourself and put a ghost overflow?
    -Zach

Real Name
    Matt

Don't trust my drill work, especially on the 100gal that cost an arm and a leg. And moving it is a whole other process itself. Don't even know if I can drill the back.

I guess a new custom tank 70gal or under isn't THAT expensive all things considered but I wish I could avoid it haha, more money for stock and such. Originally, and currently, looking at a 36x20x20 type of tank with a ghost overflow/bean animal on a short side, but might look into 36x20x16-18 type. Got to check price difference, only about a 10gal difference I think.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Get someone to drill it for you. If you decide to drill yourself. Let me know. I'll shoot you a link for drill guide and bit as well as a few vids. It isn't so difficult. A friend helped me out and after seeing him do it I was like, "I could've done that!". Matter of fact, I'm drilling glass today

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I'd have to turn it on it's side though right to keep it wet? That's the problem lol. That's at least a 3 man job, tank is incredibly heavy. And I'd need to move the tropheus out of course first.

Problems 2 and 3 are the glass is scratched and the starphire is on the wrong 3 sides....but that's not a big issue with that size tank I wouldn't care about peninsula. Scratches would be.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Actually, let me take that back. Cracked a huge pane of glass just now. I know 2 areas where I went wrong but still lost a good pane of glass lol.

Moral of the story, it is EASY if you do all the necessary steps

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Question is would you be willing to risk a custom made low iron/starphire 100gal that costs over $1000 to do it? LOL That is why I am hesitant. While drilling it may save me money, it could also cost me a lot more money if it goes wrong which is easy to do. I think I'll leave it be for now and start looking into a totally new setup. Going to wait to see what the quotes come back as.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Question is would you be willing to risk a custom made low iron/starphire 100gal that costs over $1000 to do it? LOL That is why I am hesitant. While drilling it may save me money, it could also cost me a lot more money if it goes wrong which is easy to do. I think I'll leave it be for now and start looking into a totally new setup. Going to wait to see what the quotes come back as.
    If you pay a pro to come do it they'd probably do it for a good amount but you'd still be able to save over a new tank

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I drilled a $2k+ low iron 150g tank, three times as a matter fact.

Oh, I'm also Ric's friend.. Lol

It can be done very simply, just gotta plan it out to the T.

Real Name
    Matt

Been having nutrient/algae type issues. Not really issues, but algae seems to be springing up fairly quickly. More than my WCs seem to be taking care of it. Could be because my skimmer isn't running correctly 24/7, just keeps losing the prime it seems. I guess I need to bite the bullet and get a new skimmer. Was trying to wait for an upgrade but I think this may be one of those smart investments you need to make even before selling/trading your car. Thinking about putting an Algae scrubber into this setup as well just to have more passive nutrient export....or re-direction really. Any thoughts?
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Been having nutrient/algae type issues. Not really issues, but algae seems to be springing up fairly quickly. More than my WCs seem to be taking care of it. Could be because my skimmer isn't running correctly 24/7, just keeps losing the prime it seems. I guess I need to bite the bullet and get a new skimmer. Was trying to wait for an upgrade but I think this may be one of those smart investments you need to make even before selling/trading your car. Thinking about putting an Algae scrubber into this setup as well just to have more passive nutrient export....or re-direction really. Any thoughts?
    If you have plans for a future tank, make sure you get a skimmer that will cover the new tank dims and stocking nicely rather than getting one to fit your current tank. I like the idea of algae scrubbers. Joey (King of DIY) had a cool build thread on one that looked pretty useful. I also saw this one:

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I would Ricardo but the problem is a new tank would be drilled and have a sump and a skimmer that lives there, for this tank I pretty much have to go HOB with whatever I do currently.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

I would Ricardo but the problem is a new tank would be drilled and have a sump and a skimmer that lives there, for this tank I pretty much have to go HOB with whatever I do currently.
    oh crud, I forgot you have to go HOB. Well, in that case I would shop used locally and hope for the best and try to get some back when selling which almost never happens. You may have to part it out and that way you can get close to what you paid for it.

Cafepress.com

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast