ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Default Re: 6.5gal Nano Reef Build

Way to go Matt, looking forward to seeing it all together.
    Jorge Q

Registered Member

This was my old nanocube. Keeping an eye on this thread

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks all. Rex, really nice tank. How many gallons was that and what were the dimensions? Looks a lot like the setup I want. Mixed reef from softies to SPS and a pair of clowns. (Hence me wanting t upgrade this build to a ~15gal lol)
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Just wanted to update. Pulled the trigger on the 15x15x15 cube. Rimless and all sides low iron glass. It's being built right now, should have the tank in a matter of weeks/days. I've updated the first post to reflect the changes to the tank as far as equipment goes.

Going to stick with the light I built, don't think the 3" extra will cause me any problems. If it does I will just add more LEDs to the heat sink.

Pat, thanks lol. Bob was on another forum with me many moons ago, I'd like to think he was at least half joking that's how he is.
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

LOL Matt, shall I undeleted it?...you can to if you wish
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Matt

Here are some photos of where its going....at least until I get a PicO stand for it, which are currently in development.

Thinking about putting 5% window tint on the back of the tank, not full black but not going to show wires or the filter either. Its easily removable and won't leave any residue on the glass as well. Don't worry about the hand prints on the glass, will get those off before I fill it up! DIY full spectrum LED above it, bent conduit light hanger screwed to the stand. Still have to do some wire management but this is it so far. Got it sitting on some black neoprene cut to size ontop of the wood. Same stuff I used for my 100gal rimless from Miracles that you see part of in the photo.

-Matt

Looking great so far Matt! My advice on the substrate from personal experience with both vortech powerheads and caribsea substrates is to avoid the really fine sugar size and even the next size up although alot of people are attracted to the appearance it is a complete pain in the a** it will blow around and create craters and dunes exposing the bottom glass and it can be a losing battle. I personally went with the caribsea seaflor special grade and it is by far one of the best caribsea substrates its fine enough for sandsifting species of fish to be happy yet it wont blow arond or displace all that much, not to mention that it also imo looks really good. I would turn my mp40 on 100% on all modes and it would stay put. I also have had both the sugar size and the next size up and I dealt with the problems that I listed above constantly. Either way keep us posted, excited to see how it all comes together for ya.

Real Name
    Matt

Here is the tank wet and with life. Picked up a nice piece of live rock from a local shop that a local club cookout was held at, was a good size and shape for my tank. Came with some polyps and mushrooms attached and found 3 snails that snuck in. Using it to get my tank going, had the mindset that if everything lives great. So far everything is doing well even through tank startup/cycle. Snails are always out foraging, polyps opening up a bit, and mushrooms seem to be enjoying themselves.

I'm a bit behind on photos, this one was the day it was setup, the day of the cookout. Today I came home to a nice diatom bloom in my tank so its moving in the right direction. Sorry even I'm not the best taking pictures of LED lights. I'll practice.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Set up my auto top off today. I'm so giddy about it. I've always had to top off the tank myself but for $100 I've now automated that process. And a 5gal bucket reservoir should last me quite a while. Perfect timing to because I'm headed to the beach on Sunday for a couple of days. This thing is awesome for a small tank like this where a little evaporation could cause trouble with the pumps, filters, powerheads, etc.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Just wanted to update this. My full clean up crew should be here either tomorrow or more likely Friday. Coming from Reef Cleaners. Had a big hair algae outbreak during the cycle but its dying down now....very quickly actually. Things are looking really good, water is clear, hitchhiking coral is open and doing well. I'm happy with it so far. I still want to add some more rock, and that will come soon as well.

I hate having expensive hobbies. So many things I want but can only get so many at one time. Do I want new wheels for the car or more reef/discus first??
    -Matt

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Just wanted to update this. My full clean up crew should be here either tomorrow or more likely Friday. Coming from Reef Cleaners. Had a big hair algae outbreak during the cycle but its dying down now....very quickly actually. Things are looking really good, water is clear, hitchhiking coral is open and doing well. I'm happy with it so far. I still want to add some more rock, and that will come soon as well.

I hate having expensive hobbies. So many things I want but can only get so many at one time. Do I want new wheels for the car or more reef/discus first??
    Reef and discus....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    -Zach

Real Name
    Matt

Picked up a few more pieces of rock today. Found some more coral hitch hikers and a ruby mithrax crab. Heres what the tank looks like currently. All the coral you see cam attached to the rocks.

Only livestock right now is inverts. Snails, ruby mithrax crab, and what looked like a small urchin attached to one of the rocks....we'll see if that makes it. Not sure which rock it was under.

All white LEDs

Whites + violet + Ocean Coral White LED

All of the above + Blues. Extremely hard to take pictures of blue LEDs. Looks whiter in person and not as purple like the picture shows.
    -Matt

Hows the nano coming along?
    The fixture turned out great, and the colour temp looks to be very nice.
    Looks as though you got some cool hitchhikers on your rock.

Real Name
    Matt

I probably should update this huh haha. Its going good. Bit of hair algae I need to get out but the water is crystal clear, everything is doing good. I did lose some Zoas for some weird reason, just melted away while others are going strong. Maybe to much flow on them or something. Surprisingly, my starter SPS frags are thriving compared to my softies like Zoas.

I got a really cool Urchin hitch hiker, did I mention that before? When I found it first it was the size of a dime or smaller, now its spines make it look like the size of a golf ball. I'll try and snap some pics of the inhabitants and tank tomorrow.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Heres my latest updated photos. Sorry they are so bad, its SO hard to take pictures under LEDs. You can see my Monti cap really doing well, I have a green slimer on the bottom that I will eventually move up. Acans are behind the slimer on the bottom against the rock. Zoas all over the rocks and 2 frags of purple death palys beside the slimer. I have a brain that hitch hiked on my rock that I nursed back to health on the smaller front rocks, doing VERY well. Also on that front rock is my GSP that is not open as this was just after a WC. Couple of mushrooms on the rock and you can see my urchin in those photos, probably the coolest part of my tank atm lol.

Still a lot of growing to do but doing well.

-Matt

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast