ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Totally disgusted right now. Really really perturbed. Bought what I thought was premixed saltwater from the LFS last Tuesday in anticipation of the holidays and for my water change the next monday (today). Well, turns out its actually freshwater and I didn't figure that out until it had been sitting in my tank for at least an hour. Decimated my pod and mysis shrimp populations, killed most of my snails and limpets, killed my urchin, and the corals are still pending. Mostly all acros and montis. Still have a bit of color but you can clearly see some hanging on by a thread at this point.

Had to run out to petsmart 10mins before they closed to pick up salt so I can mix it myself from now on. Did another WC with saltwater, but not sure whats going to survive at this point. Really really ticked off right now. I understand this might of been an honest mistake as simple as picking up the wrong hose with a boggled mind on a busy day, but when I go in and pay crazy money for salt and water and say twice all jugs saltwater I expect to get saltwater. And if there is a question, ask me to double check. These are living creatures and aquariums we are dealing with, not easy to just laugh off a mistake.

I have not been able to get in touch with them yet as its late at night, might go up there tomorrow. Mainly just want to inform them of the mix up hopefully so it won't happen to anyone else. I doubt they could do anything for me at this point a week later. I just needed to rant here because of all the time and money I put into this tank to do it right, keep it consistent, and get some amazing corals only to have it all but flushed down the drain at this point. Frustrated to say the least. Just got in some of the best Acros I've ever had....close to $400 in SPS on the brink of biting the dust.

I knew I didn't fully trust local shops for a reason. Give em some faith and a little bit of rope and its turned into a noose.....good news is now I have a giant bucket of Instant Ocean and access to an RO filter so no more LFS water for me. Beyond pissed.

Heres to hoping at least some of the coral pulls through.
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Aw Matt, really sorry. I started mixing my own as running to the LFS was a hassle. Really sad to have the tank came together and this happens
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Wow... sorry to hear the bad news... I hope the store can at least give you store credit for the salt water you pay for that was fresh water.

Real Name
    Matt

At this point I've done everything I can to correct the tank and I will now label this a massive loss of life, near complete loss of life in this tank. I will be restarting saltwater after the holidays. Really really bummed atm.

Lessons cost money, good ones cost a lot. I just got a dang good lesson. Thankful to have my health and the ability to spend money on this hobby though when a lot of people are struggling out there. I'm now going to go enjoy Christmas with the family and deal with the tank at a later date. The tank can always be restarted. Merry Christmas all!
    Last edited by Discus-n00b; 12-24-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    -Matt

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

How sad Matt. I wonder if the lfs has an insurance policy to cover employee accidents like this? Worth asking about. You can't save the ones that died, but you may be able to recover some of their cost? Hope your family holiday goes well!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Matt

So this is still going. Finally building back up after a few months. Just got a coral order in to restock the tank with. Consists of:

1. Tyree Bali Tricolor
    2. Sunrise Explosion Milli
    3. Copps Hulk Milli (Lived through the crash)
    4. ORA Red Planet
    5. Crayola Plana
    6. Cali Tort
    7. Tyree Pink Lemonade
    8. Leng Si Cap
    9. Bonsai (Sorta live through the crash)
    10. Bali Green Slimer

You can see on and in front of the rock to the right my LPS that took a hit that are slowly rebounding. My brain up top and acan below. Sorry about the purple hue, LEDs are a camera's worst enemy.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Just playing with some macro, trying to learn how to photography under blue LEDs lol
    -Matt

Nick Klimkowski

Great pic Matt, your photograph always blows me away. The clarity is outstanding.

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks! Took me a while to get the clarity seen above. Still toying with it. Just so tough to shoot under LEDs especially blue ones with no flash.
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Gorgeous Matt, you have me missing my reef tank.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

Great project you've got here !! I'm especially fond of the conduit idea for your lighting. Very ingenious for sure. Sorry to have read about the water issue and losses in the tank. Horrible situation. The photos you've captured are gorgeous. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what are you using to take such awesome shots ?

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Gorgeous Matt, you have me missing my reef tank.
    Thanks Pat. Its going well since I restarted, really love the little tank. I really want a bigger tank but its just not in the cards right now. Going to be moving it to its own stand soon I think, should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
    Great project you've got here !! I'm especially fond of the conduit idea for your lighting. Very ingenious for sure. Sorry to have read about the water issue and losses in the tank. Horrible situation. The photos you've captured are gorgeous. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what are you using to take such awesome shots ?
    Thanks. I use a Canon 5D Mk II camera with either a 100mm macro lens or a 24-105mm lens.
    Last edited by Discus-n00b; 03-24-2014 at 12:04 AM.
    -Matt

Registered Member treemanone2003's Avatar
    Real Name
    George

Thanks for sharing Matt. I've got a Nikon d5100 that I only started to play with last year. While in New Hampshire last Sept for the race I did (don't ask how) manage to get a few more like this. I guess the next rainy day it's time to practice on the stock I got from Kenny.

Real Name
    Matt

Frags frags frags I'm addicted to frags!!!

-Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Beautiful Frags Matt. I hadn't read this thread up until now. Sad that it happened to you but I'm glad this is back in the up and up. Sadly, I know you are having trouble with your wilds so it seems like a never-ending thing. I hope all gets settled soon.

Photography-wise, have you ever tried focus stacking with these tight macro shots? I remember doing a reverse macro shot with a 135 2.8 w/ a 50 1.4 and did a 25 capture stitch. I had to break down the shots by groups or else the computer would just crash on me. Do you use CS6?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast