ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: 14gal Nano Reef Build

Well just pulled the trigger on some fish. A tailspot blenny and Tanaka's Pygmy wrasse are going to be on their way to me soon via Live Aquaria's Diver Den section. Will look at other fish at a later date.
    -Matt

incredible pics!

Real Name
    Matt

Well good news and bad news. Good news is the fish came, bad news is the Wrasse was DOA. Blenny is doing fine. I guess the wrasse just don't ship as well as others? At any rate, called up Live Aquaria and got a refund, easiest and best customer service I've experienced really took not even 5mins.

Guess this means I need to go fish shopping again.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

To be honest, I feel more secure leaving my discus at home for NADA than this tank. Family is going to come feed it and stuff but it makes me nervous. Fingers crossed!

Heres another small update. First the reference picture to when I first got the frags. This time comparing frags #7 and 3.

Frag #7 is a Pink Lemonade, 3-4 months of growth, good encrusting and a bit of outward length.

Better view of the background here, this is my Copps Hulk Milli (from the man himself) and a baby frag of the same that broke off the day it arrived to its left. Getting some awesome green color on it. #3 in the first photo, hard to compare growth on this one but where its green is where it seems to be growing.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Heres another update. First my Blenny, love him!

And here is I guess this is about 2 months of growth on some coral.
    CC Oakland A's
    Before

After

CC Angels and Demons
    Before

After

-Matt

Real Name
    Matt

To follow up the last post here is a short 20 sec video showing the polyp extension on the Angels and Demons. Short but watch in HD for best viewing! I'll have more videos later!
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

So I put some Berghia Nudis in not to long ago. Of course they disappeared in a day but I noticed a few of my larger Aptasia have magically disappeared so I'm hoping the Nudis are enjoying the feast and being fruitful in the rocks. I'm juicing a few of the aptasia myself, trying to keep them under control but leave the nudis something to eat. Trying to rid the rocks of them before I start gluing frags down. However I feel like its time to get some new coral....someone stop me

Heres another video (watch in HD of course). All of these really short videos are just workups to hopefully a longer more cinematic type video later on. I guess you can only watch polyp extension for so long, I'll include other stuff eventually lol.

New friends! Picked these up from the LFS today. C-Quest line Onyx Clownfish specially ordered from Sustainable Aquatics! Terrible Iphone photo. One is a bit larger so I hope they end up bonding.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Someone stop me, I have multiple new toys coming for this tank next week. My credit card hurts, please help!!!!!!!! Ouchhhhhhhhh. But i'm excited lol. You'll have to wait and see whats coming...

On another note, here are better pictures of my clowns.

-Matt

The dark side is always strong lol

Trung.

Real Name
    Matt

It really is, though I might be tempted to call it the light side haha. Don't get me wrong I like discus.......but they aren't interesting. At any given time I can look in my reef tank and see numerous critters and species going about their life foraging food, moving from place to place, interacting with each other. Its the whole ecosystem. It just is 10x more interesting than anything freshwater I've kept before. Also throw in the growing of coral, its the most amazing thing, so much cooler than just seeing a new leaf sprout off of your plant IMO.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

I saw some crazy looking clownfish on YouTube the other day that were mindblowing! I followed some link from Joey (DIY King) and I thought I had bookmarked it. If I come across it I will link it later.

edit:

Found it, it is around the 5min mark, and now that I see it again, the clownfish look like yours!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtekO7RRRcA

How much do those run for? They look really nice.
    Last edited by rickztahone; 07-25-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks. The ones in the video seem to be "Black Phantom" clowns. Same type, different color morph basically. Mine are Onyx. This pair ran me $150 for both special ordered from the LFS, so $75 each which I find to be a very good price for true C-Quest line Onyx clowns that are already colored up. Got them out of the original shipping bags from the wholesaler, never touched the LFS water. Not to mention I avoided a shipping charge.

I was looking at some of the crazier designer clowns but I just couldn't help but love the more classic look, and while I wrestled between Darwins (all black) and the normal, these popped up and I get best of both worlds. They really are striking in the tank.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

That is awesome Matt. I honestly didn't know the had different morphs? Is this similar to discus having different strains?

Lastly, are clown fish difficult to raise? How would you compare them to FW? More like a goldfish----------angels----------discus? LOL

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Heres just a sampling of some of them offered. Most all are Ocellaris variants. Bred for certain traits with the patterns, sometimes crossed with the blacks to add that in the lines. Its a whole other world that some people don't realize is out there. They don't pull all of these fancy whites out of the oceans!

http://www.seaandreef.com/marine-orn...ish/clownfish/

Not really experienced breeding and raising clowns. However IMO, growing them out from juvi stage, is the same or easier IMO (compared to discus). Though the same basics still apply. However breeding and fry stage seem to be a bit more difficult. Maybe not, but there seems to be a lot more people breeding their discus at home more than their clownfish.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Whoa, that is a whole lot of clownfish varients! I really liked the gold stripe maroon. I'll tell you right now though, I'm not even going to click the link to see more pics. The last thing is another hobby. I will live my clownfish liking via your thread

Cafepress.com

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast