AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Jager 150W heater... condensation inside...

Registered Member

Default Jager 150W heater... condensation inside...

I never thought it would happen to me.... I have 2 jagers in my 75 gal. I noticed my fish were getting spooked time to time..... Two of my blue diamonds got a nice big bruise on the same spots on their heads. I was observing the tank today and saw that there was condensation inside one of my heaters. I turned the heater off..... and the fish seem to have calmed down....
    I am going to switch to titanium heaters.... Any recommendations??
    ~Ashish
    http://ashtricusdiscus.blogspot.com/

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Re: Jager 150W heater... condensation inside...

I doubt your problem was caused by the Jagers. I have had three of them for more than two years with no issues and they generally get good reviews here. Mine also develop a bit of condensation, which often goes away. Seems to be a normal process. Did you check your water parameters? How many and how big are your WCs?

I've got 8 of them, have seen condensation at times....have had no ill effects
    Bill

Were they getting spooked when the heater was coming on. I have jaggers too in my barrels and they have condensation but still work fine.

Real Name
    Matt

Same, had a bit of condensation but never a problem. Might be water issue.
    -Matt

Registered Member

That it good news!
    I do about 80% water changes (half of it aged water) every other day and a 5 gal bottom vaccum every day.
    Today when I shuffled my floating water sprite bunch, I noticed tonnes of bubbles in it (Definitely not pearling LOL). Looks like I had a micro-bubble problem from my last water change. That might explain the stress.
    ~Ashish
    http://ashtricusdiscus.blogspot.com/

I quit using Jager heaters several years ago but recently purchased more after seeing that they were once again getting glowing reviews around the various forums. There was a period in time where people here were abandoning the "new" Jagers (non-green ones) because of various issues and switching to titaniums. I figured maybe Jager fixed some of the issues they were having.

Apparently not. I've been using a brand new 200-watt Jager for a week now in a 60 gallon cube. Set to 88F it will only heat the tank to between 80 - 82F. Also, tonight during water changes, the suction cups gave out and the heater fell to the bottom of the tank, spooking my discus and sending them crashing into the glass. It's amazing that they haven't been able to improve their suction cups in the past decade or so.

It'd be nice if the Marineland Stealths hadn't started exploding. Up until they were recalled, all my heaters were Stealths and they were much better at accurate heating. They did die sometimes, but were much cheaper to replace than Jagers.
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-23-2013 at 11:00 PM.