AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh the stupidity of me!!

Default Oh the stupidity of me!!

So last night I was looking at my setup and decided that I really needed to change the plumbing on the top two tanks. One I needed to to sterilize so I could put a Cobalt pair in it since they were cleaning a cone in one of my community tanks and I wanted to get my Yellow Diamonds in a tank of their own. The other tank held my SS/Turq fry. I thought since their drains were connected by PVC and since this is California, it might be best to remove that connection just in case the earth moved like it does sometimes here. Earthquakes! Why worry about them when you have ME? Not 20 seconds into the project ~CRACK~ I shattered the fry tank!! Did I mention that it was 10 PM and I did not have an extra tank that was ready to go at a moments notice? Yeah so...Water was now cascading out of more than 20 cracks in the tank and pouring all over my floor and into the tank beneath it. Which I might add is not connected to the system so it will not drain on its own and it was filled with Cobalt fry and their father. The expletives that came out of my mouth would have made a sailor blush. I rushed around grabbing different pieces of PVC to hook together like an erector set so I could drain the SS/Turq fry tank straight out the back door. Not the fry, just the water. Thank goodness earlier in the day I had separated my T-Aqua Turqs (Old German) into two different tanks so I could grow them out. Well back those 42 fry went into their old tank. I had to get another hose and put it into the Cobalt fry tank and keep that slowly draining since it was also over flowing at an alarming rate thanks to THE STUPIDITY OF ME. As I am standing their watching the tanks drain, a shard of glass popped off the top tank and fell to the floor. FLIGGITY SHIGIGT! Now I do not know about you, but I have a vivid imagination. I could see that tank just bursting open like that window did in that movie with Samuel Jackson and the sharks and dumping my fry all over the floor. So now I am scrambling up the step ladder scooping up fry and putting them into to the now vacated tank. Meanwhile all the fry wanted to gather at the front of the tank where it was cracked and I did not want to touch, because I knew it was going to pop wide open. They did not make it easy for me, but I saved all the fry. Now however I am a tank short and no Petco $1 sale is on the horizon.

What a night!!
    Note to self: DO NOT mess with SHIGGIT in the middle of the night. Oh and you need a few more couplings and a couple 90 degree 1" PVC fittings

Stupidity = Mishka

Real Name
    Tony

Default Re: Oh the stupidity of me!!

oh wow what a night!!! i am glad you're ok and same as fish. it happens to all of us 1 way or the other.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Glad you and the fish are ok too.

What a night, at least you learned something from it

Sorry to hear about the tank Mishka! Glad to hear that the fish and more importantly YOU are ok! Lesson learned LOL.
    -Jeff

Mishka you had the whole day to Mess with that tank and you decide to do it at 10 pm. cleaning up probably took you till 1 or 2 in the morning feel for you. Been there done that.
    Walter

NADA MEMBER

Thanks guys. Yes Walter I know that. Hence the title of the thread. No more Rock Stars after 6PM also.

Mishka

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Lol that sounds like something that would do at that time of night. Glad to hear everything but the tank and the floor turned out ok.
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

awesome read I felt like I was almost there going through the entire experience with you
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Glad that you saved the frys Due to my schedule, it only allow me to WC after 10pm. Couple times I was also think of alter the plumbing but thought it is better do it on the morning. I have couple leak during the alter. Imagine if I let it sit for over night I might end up in your shoe too. Have you consider acrylic rather than glass. I know the cost is factor but it is much stronger than glass
    Tony

Registered Member Inland Empire Discus's Avatar

Mishka,

Considering I have done the same thing before I had to just laugh, sorry you had to learn the hard way that you do not want to mess with hard plumbing once it is in place.
    You should use a strong dose of PP instead of Bleach that you do not have to take the tank out and drain it so many times. PP works great in really high doses and you do not have to worry about if it is all out of the tank when done.
    Bill

Thanks guys. All are doing well. Time to get that top 50g running today and I mean today not tonight.

Mishka

Need help moving tanks i can stop by on my way home for a quick move, I know how your back is.
    Walter

NADA MEMBER

Thanks Walter. I did it and cut my finger in the process. Right back up to the title on this one. Can anyone say Dumb@%&? Why did I try and save the bulkhead? Why? LOL Fortunately it's not bad, but really the bulkhead only cost me $3.00. I should have left it alone, but I have to hoard all my usable tank parts. And Bill I always forget that I can do that with the PP. The bleeding has stopped back to work I go. Walter the Cobalts are going to get their own tank today. Of course the way things are going maybe I shouldn't promise that....lol

Mishka

Real Name
    Merry

I'm glad the babies are ok. What you described sounds eerily like my husband. I have been known to go to bed with things one way, and wake up to something completely different. Glad everything came out well in the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast