ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: ***!

Registered Member

Exclamation ***!

Coming back from work i noticed this on one of my discus. and i cant seem to identify what type of a disease it is.

photo (16).JPG

Registered Member

Default Re: ***!

I hope someone can identify what this is ... that is a dead fish to me.. Very sad!

Fill out the questionnaire at the top of your thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
    my fish is having as posted, started last friday but it was only having reddening thought it was costia.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
    head pointing up, excess slime, white like crystals on the red area and not eating

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
    did a salt dip and added interpet no.9 anti internal bacteria then did a 3 50% wc in 2 days and dosed with interpet no.8 anti fungus.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
    60g talk, 3 months, 1 7" golden arowana and 3 blue torquise 2.5"

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
    50% wc daily, BB and aged water.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 88

- ph 7.1

- ammonia reading __0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ___1

- well water ??

- municipal water ??

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

photo (17).JPGphoto (18).JPG

Registered Member

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
    my fish is having as posted, started last friday but it was only having reddening thought it was costia.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
    head pointing up, excess slime, white like crystals on the red area and not eating

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
    did a salt dip and added interpet no.9 anti internal bacteria then did a 3 50% wc in 2 days and dosed with interpet no.8 anti fungus.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
    60g talk, 3 months, 1 7" golden arowana and 3 blue torquise 2.5"

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
    50% wc daily, BB and aged water.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 88

- ph 7.1

- ammonia reading __0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ___1

- well water ??

- municipal water ??

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

photo (17).JPGphoto (18).JPG

Sorry to see this. I could be wrong but it doesn't appear to be fungus. The dip you did if you followed specs should make him look terrible so don't sweat it yet. Keep cool, I've seen worse open soars and they have recovered. If you have a QT tank and hes in it I would treat immediately with an antibiotic. I prefer tetracycline, many like furan 2. I wouldn't use eurythromycin because you don't know what he's suffering from. Tetracycline covers both gram positive and gram negative. Follow the instructions to the letter and do a full dose. BE SURE not to mix meds. If he is still under meds ( typically within 24 hours) you'll have to wait a bit (and do partial WC) - Obviously you may lose him, but you may not. If you don't have a QT tank you have a bigger problem. Any useful antibiotic is going to wipe out your good bacteria in your tank.