AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Strange breeding behavior......

Question Strange breeding behavior......

So I have 6 discus in a community tank (w/apistos and a bristlenose). One pair of discus spawn weekly and each time they get the fry to the point where they are freeswimming and attatch but within 12 hrs after that all are eaten. Okay, none of that is strange but during the last few spawns a 3rd discus starts guarding the eggs with the mom after they are laid while dad stays close by. On occassion the mom will chase off the other discus but otherwise allows it to help. I know with 100% certainty who laid the eggs because I watch it happen (okay, I'm a perv, lol). I do not know the gender of this 3rd discus since it has never spawned with another.
    Why is the 3rd discus "helping"?
    Why do the confirmed pair allow this?
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Strange breeding behavior......

Animal behavior can be interesting to watch. Remember it is very easy to get discus to foster raise. When their hormones/instincts kick in they are very strong. The other fish is simply "wanting" to raise fry. The parents are not running it off because it does not appear to be a threat. On a slightly different note I have seen times when 2 females and 1 male would spawn together and raise the fry. I have also seen 2 males try to spawn together.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

I have a snakeskin that tries very hard to get fry in the next tank to attach to her. One of the setbacks of my pairs being able to see each other. At first I thought she was trying to eat the fry but when I try to do a water change she bites me. She won't lay if the other pair is on fry.
    - Dan

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Animal behavior can be interesting to watch. Remember it is very easy to get discus to foster raise. When their hormones/instincts kick in they are very strong. The other fish is simply "wanting" to raise fry. The parents are not running it off because it does not appear to be a threat. On a slightly different note I have seen times when 2 females and 1 male would spawn together and raise the fry. I have also seen 2 males try to spawn together.

-john
    Thanks John, I take it that this behavior is not a way to help determine gender since it sounds like a male is just as likely to be the 3rd wheel as a female. Correct?
    OC

Quote Originally Posted by DLock3d View Post
    I have a snakeskin that tries very hard to get fry in the next tank to attach to her. One of the setbacks of my pairs being able to see each other. At first I thought she was trying to eat the fry but when I try to do a water change she bites me. She won't lay if the other pair is on fry.
    Wow, not even in the same tank, that is very interesting Dan.
    OC

It's a 75 gallon with clear glass dividers siliconed in. So, technically it is the same tank.
    - Dan

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

I would bet it is a male. If it was a female it would have laid eggs by now. I think it was a show in Europe where two Stendkers in different tanks tried to spawn. The female would lay eggs on the glass and the male in the tank next to her would make runs up his side. The instinct to reproduce in healthy fish can be very strong.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

I would bet it is a male. If it was a female it would have laid eggs by now.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the input.

I think it was a show in Europe where two Stendkers in different tanks tried to spawn. The female would lay eggs on the glass and the male in the tank next to her would make runs up his side. The instinct to reproduce in healthy fish can be very strong.
    I guess so!
    OC

I would bet it is a male. If it was a female it would have laid eggs by now. I think it was a show in Europe where two Stendkers in different tanks tried to spawn. The female would lay eggs on the glass and the male in the tank next to her would make runs up his side. The instinct to reproduce in healthy fish can be very strong.

-john
    LMAO! A peep show!

I saw a similar thread by Mishka where two males and a female were making runs together, so I guess everything is possible.

Real Name
    Rick

I have had as many as 6 fish all spawning together collectively and have had two males co-operate and raise fry together (foster).

Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now that they are wrigglers they are not tolerant of the "3rd wheel". Poor discus keeps trying to help though
    OC

Glad you got the wrigglers. Which one is singled out?

Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    Glad you got the wrigglers. Which one is singled out?
    The confirmed pair gets the fry to the point of attatchment every week but then they are eaten since it is a community tank. I really do not want any more fry (I have several dozen in a 55 I need to sell soon) otherwise I would put them in their own tank. The "3rd wheel" is the non-biological parent of the wrigglers.
    OC