AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frozen brine shrimp?

Default frozen brine shrimp?

don't laugh at me really i have not used the frozen brine shrimp before and now i would like to try them as a treat and calcium supplement. Just wondering if they are clean and safe food? Do they foul the water and possibly carry any parasite or disease? I can get Hikari and SF Bay locally, are they equally good? Thanks!

Xiaofei

Default Re: frozen brine shrimp?

brine shrimp are in SALT water.. they don't carry anything that would harm freshwater fish

i prefer feeding LIVE
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by vss View Post
    don't laugh at me really i have not used the frozen brine shrimp before and now i would like to try them as a treat and calcium supplement. Just wondering if they are clean and safe food? Do they foul the water and possibly carry any parasite or disease? I can get Hikari and SF Bay locally, are they equally good? Thanks!

Xiaofei
    As skip stated, you are safe to feed. I feed both frozen and live BS. I favor Hikari, no scientific support, just what I use.
    Pete
    MAGA

I personally don’t care for frozen Brine Shrimp. They hold very little nutritional value. "empty calories"
    -Jeff
    When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by PAR23 View Post
    As skip stated, you are safe to feed. I feed both frozen and live BS. I favor Hikari, no scientific support, just what I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    brine shrimp are in SALT water.. they don't carry anything that would harm freshwater fish

i prefer feeding LIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff O View Post
    I personally don’t care for frozen Brine Shrimp. They hold very little nutritional value. "empty calories"
    -Jeff

Thanks alot Jeff, Peter, and Skip!

When you talked about the live ones, do you mean the live baby brine shrimp that you freshly hatched? Or there are some place we can get live adult ones? just thought the BBS too small to feed for 3'' fish, and it's such a pain and mess to hatch them....

Really I'm just planning to use it as a calcium supplement to ensure balanced fin and gill plate growth, and there is already enough protein and other stuff in the major diet.

Thanks again,
    Xiaofei

not BBS..

BRINE SHRIMP FEEDERS from pet store.. never bought them online.. but they are available..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Thanks alot Jeff, Peter, and Skip!

When you talked about the live ones, do you mean the live baby brine shrimp that you freshly hatched? Or there are some place we can get live adult ones? just thought the BBS too small to feed for 3'' fish, and it's such a pain and mess to hatch them....

Really I'm just planning to use it as a calcium supplement to ensure balanced fin and gill plate growth, and there is already enough protein and other stuff in the major diet.

Thanks again,
    Xiaofei
    Yes live adult BS from local pet shop. I mainly feed live BS to maintain their "predatory" skills since I do not feed any other live foods. Also a lot of fun watching them chase BS around.
    Pete
    MAGA

Registered Member

They are empty calories, as previously stated, BUT... when mine get finicky, as they sometimes will, they will still go for the brine shrimp, at least giving tem a bit of energy. Mine actually prefer the frozen spirolina (sp?) cubes to the regular. Personally, I think it's the green color, but somewhere else in the forum, there's a thread about whether or not they can see color (I think they do!)

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    not BBS..

BRINE SHRIMP FEEDERS from pet store.. never bought them online.. but they are available..

Yes live adult BS from local pet shop. I mainly feed live BS to maintain their "predatory" skills since I do not feed any other live foods. Also a lot of fun watching them chase BS around.

Oh I didn't know i could get live BS from a pet store. That's cool and I will go and check after work today. Do you use the feeder all the time or it's Ok just simply net them out and throw them into the tank? For the leftovers how long can you keep them alive?

Thanks again,
    Xiaofei

Oh I didn't know i could get live BS from a pet store. That's cool and I will go and check after work today. Do you use the feeder all the time or it's Ok just simply net them out and throw them into the tank? For the leftovers how long can you keep them alive?

Thanks again,
    Xiaofei
    I do not use a feeder. Pour them from the holding cup into a fine fish net, a quick rinse with tap water and straight into the tank they go. The fish go nuts trying to catch them. I usually use the entire portion so I can't tell you how long they will survive. I buy just enough for one feeding.
    Pete
    MAGA

I do not use a feeder. Pour them from the holding cup into a fine fish net, a quick rinse with tap water and straight into the tank they go. The fish go nuts trying to catch them. I usually use the entire portion so I can't tell you how long they will survive. I buy just enough for one feeding.
    just curious what is the packaging of the live shrimp and what's the price?

Xiaofei

just curious what is the packaging of the live shrimp and what's the price?

Xiaofei
    At my LFS, they net it out of a tank and place it in a small plastic container for transport. Its about $1.50 per portion/cup.
    Pete
    MAGA

Brine shrimp are a lot like frozen blood worms in terms of nutrition. They do cloud a bit of the tank, but the discus will still eat it.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

At my LFS, they net it out of a tank and place it in a small plastic container for transport. Its about $1.50 per portion/cup.
    Thanks peter. eventually i found a petstore that carries live BS yesterday evening. They charge $1 per portion but the portion they used is just a tablespoon I got two portions and fed half of them last night. They did bring out the wild side of my fish and it's so much fun to watch them chasing the little bugs lol. i left one portion in a cup and this morning they are still 100% alive. I'll probably feed my fish the live ones twice a week from now on.

Xiaofei

Thanks peter. eventually i found a petstore that carries live BS yesterday evening. They charge $1 per portion but the portion they used is just a tablespoon I got two portions and fed half of them last night. They did bring out the wild side of my fish and it's so much fun to watch them chasing the little bugs lol. i left one portion in a cup and this morning they are still 100% alive. I'll probably feed my fish the live ones twice a week from now on.

Xiaofei
    That's great Xiaofei. I always enjoyed watching the fish chase them all over the tank. They are not cheap but keeping discus isn't either I'm glad you found a place that sell live BS. Have fun.
    Pete
    MAGA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast