AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Very Stressed Discus

Registered Member

Default Very Stressed Discus

I have raised my 6 discus from fry and have had no bumps in the road till today. Until about a month ago I have been doing twice a week 90% water changes (120gal tank). Lately I have been over run at work and can only get to the tank on Saturday or Sunday. Today I do my water change just like every other time and all the discus all of the sudden stress out like I have never seen.....They turned VERY dark and were huddling in a corner, two were even resting on the bottom. I lost my runt discus but he never got about the size of a 1/2dollar, had flared gills and had a hard time eating, I was surprised he lasted this long. I checked the water temp through the whole process, nothing was out of place.

What am I missing? Is it due to not doing the water changes twice a week? I even added a couple pathos plants to help with nitrates till I am able to get back to the twice a week schedule.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Very Stressed Discus

have you tested your water parameters before and after? You might have a fluctuation in something that is causing the stress.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

I had a similar problem. Check your tank pH and your change water pH every time you change water. They both can vary!!
    If there is a big difference change a lot less water, maybe as little as 10-20%. I am not sure what exactly is a big difference,
    MY GUESS (That is only a guess) is .4 pH is about the maximum difference without lessening the amount of water changed.

Registered Member

I have not checked my water PH before and after for a few months. I will start there and see if something changed since then.

Registered Member

Default Very Stressed Discus

Did you quarantine the plants prior to adding? Did the plants go in prior, or after the symptoms.

Have some PP on hand?

Registered Member

nothing of your location is listed so I'm guessing here.
    Have any melting snow in the area? Usually water plants as much as double chlorine additions whenever there is melting. Could also be that there are high nitrate/ammonia/nitrite right out of your tap. Chances are really good in this situation that the problem is your new water, not something in your tank.

Registered Member

Also, test your water from the tap. If you're on a municipal water system, they have a habit of changing their treatment processes without telling anyone, so it may be something as simple as adjusting to the new disinfectants. If your municipal water system has gone to the "new" clorine dioxide mode of disinfectant, you will probably have to run carbon with your filtration, as I do (thanks a lot, city water /endsarcasm...)

Did you remember to add dechlor?
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC