AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Emergency break out, need advice!

Registered Member

Default Emergency break out, need advice!

I've read that salt dips can be effective, but personal experience has been very harsh on fish. If given the choice, I'm more comfortable with PP.

Default Re: Emergency break out, need advice!

Salt baths are fine and effective if done right. You will also need to treat that tank or you will be putting the back in the fire. Once you do a salt bath they will have no slime coat. They will look horrible. It will take a few days to look good again. Most people hate Melafix but if you can get it I use it after a salt bath. I prefer 4 minute salt baths w/ 4 teaspoons per gallon. Some people go longer with less salt. Your call. Once they hit the water chase them with your hand to make them swim to clean out their gills. PH is IMPORTANT !!! I tank 2-3 gallons on tank H2O they are already in, put it in a bucket, mix the salt, and the races begin. You must treat the tank with one of MANY products. Quick cure is harder to find now then it used to be.

Real Name
    Rick

Most people hate Melafix but if you can get it I use it after a salt bath. I prefer 4 minute salt baths w/ 4 teaspoons per gallon

So this is what it has come down to now, the self appointed resident expert is recommending melafix? Are you serious? Oy Vey!

I think simply needs to develope an medication IQ test before anyone is allowed to post advice in the disease section.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have an incredibly low IQ....obviously....but it does work as a salve after a salt bath. Truth sucks.
    You can listen to anyone you want. You should listen to your fish. They will tell you what they want. Member TFSRI, N.A.D.A

Registered Member

Default Emergency break out, need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post

So this is what it has come down to now, the self appointed resident expert is recommending melafix? Are you serious? Oy Vey!

I think simply needs to develope an medication IQ test before anyone is allowed to post advice in the disease section.
    Easy there Rick, Sammy is just trying to help. Would have been great if the actual resident expert was around to post his/her recommendations, but I guess the lesser IQ folks had something to share as well. Sammy just posted his experiences, still up to the OP to choose his path of treatment for his fish.

Some of the people on this board crack me up. A person asks for advice...I respond with factual experience to HELP them. Because you don't like my advice I gotta hear your crap. Whatever. I will CONTINUE to try and HELP anyone who asks explaining what remedies HAVE WORKED for me in the past. I will go away when the mods kick me off for following the rules and trying to assist people. Think and say what you want. Like me, you don't know all the answers and I will continue to explore discus health to no end. Even if I have to defend Melafix, which I have stated is PRETTY USELESS except for SLIME COAT healing...FACTUAL...As a friend has told me in the past..."don't knock it till you try it" your self proclaimed resident expert is here to assist even you.
    You can listen to anyone you want. You should listen to your fish. They will tell you what they want. Member TFSRI, N.A.D.A

lol...yuz guyzzz....does sound like plants could be the isssue, certainly the temp swing didnt help, heck could be none of the above..hah.. I am "NO" expert in disease by any stretch, but having planted tanks without discus my experience I always disinfect my plants with 19 cups of water and 1 cup regular bleach, soak for 2-3 mins and rinse in water then soak in prime solution for 5 mins and put in QT tank for plants. You can also us PP to do the same. Some plants cant take the soak so be careful. How did you QT the plants? Certainly alot of people on here have great experience on disease and hopefully I will never need there advise, lol but I am sure at some point I will, listen to them and make your best educated choice on how to treat. These guys on here are well experienced in those fields.....GOOD LUCK

I'm still jerked about this comment - I don't know anyone else anywhere who has invested the time and money and space to help sick discus. I have an open door policy for anyone who gets the fish to me. I use my experience to try and save the fish. I then return the fish to the original owner if they want it. I do all this without charge. I have a sick bay wing FULL of 20 highs running constant heat and electric. Humping through no less then 7 assortments of food and a constant production of beefheart. I go through more food per day then most small breeders and I don't make a dime from it. I've taken in entire shipments from stores and run a 14% loss rate. AND even better I gotta read a puked out comment because Rick doesn't like my advice. Hey Rick, Have you saved over 700 DISCUS ??? Didn't think so. To think I manage my family, all this, AND two successful businesses one of which is a major player in the State of RI ....all with a low IQ. Rick = newsflash= help somebody if you are able, if not, GO AWAY...and find out who your talking about before you smash trash at them. Some people are more important in the Discus world then even you.

Real Name
    Rick

Melafix is good for one thing and one thing only.....healing of superficial cuts and scrapes. I am not even sure what "slime coat healing" is. The makers of melafix, API, have never even done any testing on the stuff. It's nothing more that a tea tree oil derivitive that is organic based and might in some cases actually act as a food source for certain bacteria.

It is not anti-bacterial as claimed. To date there has been but one actually independent study done of the medication performed by Dr. Johnson over at Koi-vet.
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 02-20-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Did I say it was anti-bacterial? Do you know what part the slime coat plays in healing minor scrapes? Do you think I don't know its tea tree oil derivative? Do you think I take chances on sick discus by putting something in the tank that I am not familiar with? Rick - what happens to a slime coat after a salt bath? Why did I recommend a salt bath instead of PP? Whatever Pal - you keep your ego and your front up. I'll keep trying to save fish.

BTW - fortunately I got a shipment of 9 juvies this morning who need help and are a little more important to me then your opinion. I'm out,.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    BTW - fortunately I got a shipment of 9 juvies this morning who need help and are a little more important to me then your opinion. I'm out,.
    Were these Shawnhu's fish by chance?
    Stephen
    NADA AUSTIN 2014 SOS Crew Texas

Dear Rick and Sammy, I really appreciate the sharing and the help for which are very important for me and others who might get into similar situations as references. But there is no need to argue as there are always differences when it comes to Knowledge vs Personal experience.

Thank you all other members for your advices as well.

Since I have aquarium salt in my apt. I did a 5-7mins 2% solution salt bath for all my discus. (is it necessary that all of them need to "roll over" during bath?)

Btw I am treating the tank with API General Cure that has Prazi+Metro, is that good enough? +90% WC very 2 day

All the best,
    Byron
    -Byron

Real Name
    Rick

How long after the new plants were added did the symptoms occur? did you break the heater at the same time? Why is your temperature set at 87?

Do you have a current picture of the fish?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baygon:

I have used Melafix and Melafix for as long as I have my son first fish. It was 6-7 years ago. If you want to treat your fish with Melafix, it must be used with its sister counterpart, Pimafix. No matter what illness you are treating for, you must use Melafix & Pimafix together. Otherwise, it does not work alone.

HTH.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast