AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Friends raising a single batch of Red Turqs, a group experiment.

Default Re: Friends raising a single batch of Red Turqs, a group experiment.

Excellent idea Rod. I am really looking forward to the updates. In particular I'm interested to see if you all experience that great Piwo growth rate. Dang I want some Piwo's.......
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Rodrigo thanks for starting this thread. It will be great to see pictures on a regular basis and most of all we get to see the different patterns develop.

The parents:
    Dad on the left

Mom

I'll see if I can dig up another picture later.

Neither one I would consider a straight line Piwo but that's the fun. To see what developes. What's in the genes!!

If you notice the males dorsal it looks like it has been trimmed. Genetic defect or what I don't know. It's always been that way. I haven seen any of the fry with it.

I used a 50 gal tank for this spawn
    Free swimming 11/21/12.

BBS started 11/26/12. Their main food was BBS for 4 weeks. They literally swam with BBS 24/7 for that period. During this time I introduced them to my seafood mix, Discus Bio-gold and Hi-Pro Growth flake from Angelplus. Currently the get seafood mix 2x daily and the flakes to wash down the seafood.

All this time I did twice daily 80% water with 12hr aged tap water. No declor. I use a matrix carbon filter.

Temp 82 F
    PH 7.2
    TDS~ 100
    The rest ain't got a clue.

I picked 10 and tossed them in a 29 before they all went bye-bye.
    Conditions and feed hasn't changed still 2x daily water changes I can't get out of the habit.
    Most are pushing 3in +

A few pictures from 02/17/13

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
    Excellent idea Rod. I am really looking forward to the updates. In particular I'm interested to see if you all experience that great Piwo growth rate. Dang I want some Piwo's.......
    Larry
    I believe under Alex's top conditions and feed he can achieve 1 in + per month growth easily.

Real Name
    Wes

The parents look great. Looking forward to following this thread.
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WelcomeRich!

So, the bigger ones are at around 3 inches 3 months in...not bad at all!

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    WelcomeRich!

So, the bigger ones are at around 3 inches 3 months in...not bad at all!

Rodrigo
    Gotta think of a bigger tank real soon. Maybe a 90 is in my future. I guess the rabbit may get a new location!

Registered Member dadecountyalan's Avatar

wow rodrigo, you could already tell those fry are going to be amazing. im sure your going to get some amazing turqs

rich t,

those red turqs you have are beautifull. they may not be straightline but they are amazing, i dont see pairs to often that i like both mom and dad equally. great fish.

p.s
    is their anyway i can subscribe to this thread?

Please keep pics coming weekly,thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dadecountyalan View Post
    wow rodrigo, you could already tell those fry are going to be amazing. im sure your going to get some amazing turqs

rich t,

those red turqs you have are beautifull. they may not be straightline but they are amazing, i dont see pairs to often that i like both mom and dad equally. great fish.

p.s
    is their anyway i can subscribe to this thread?
    Thanks! It will be interesting since I got 30 of these fish, I think I will have the widest variation of size and quality in the group, like I mentioned before, I will not cull any fish so we can see how they all turn out!

To subscribe to a thread, go back to the top of the page and check the "thread tools" on the right side of the first post of the page.

Rodrigo

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Rodrigo, is everyone starting with a group of 30? Is no culling a personal choice or group choice?
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Rodrigo, is everyone starting with a group of 30? Is no culling a personal choice or group choice?
    Pat
    Pat
    Everyone has a different amount. Rodrigo likes to go big!!

Rich

Pat
    No Pat, most of the guys have between 6-8 fish. I got 30 since I wanted something to grow out for myself and since we sell all of our stock, nothing better than some nice fish from Rich!
    The choice not to cull is my personal choice so we can see how they all turn out. I want to show how much variance you can have in a single batch.

Rodrigo

Pat

There was a total of 80. I culled one.

Rich

Pat
    I started with 8. Hoping I don't have to cull any. Also, correct me if I'm wrong Rod but there are no "rules" other than sharing our methods of growing out fish.
    Pete
    MAGA

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Rich

Rodrigo, will be fun to watch and best of luck to everyone. I have a group of eight from Kraig and there is a fair amount of variety in my group.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast