ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Friends raising a single batch of Red Turqs, a group experiment.

Registered Member dadecountyalan's Avatar

Default Re: Friends raising a single batch of Red Turqs, a group experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    Thanks! It will be interesting since I got 30 of these fish, I think I will have the widest variation of size and quality in the group, like I mentioned before, I will not cull any fish so we can see how they all turn out!

To subscribe to a thread, go back to the top of the page and check the "thread tools" on the right side of the first post of the page.

Rodrigo

holy ****!! awesome man! ive always wanted to do something like that. man i can imagine it already seeing all those fish older swimming in the same tank. awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by PAR23 View Post
    I started with 8. Hoping I don't have to cull any. Also, correct me if I'm wrong Rod but there are no "rules" other than sharing our methods of growing out fish.
    100% correct, this is not a contest, no rules...just fun and observation so people can see the results of our personal discus keeping ways! My end game is a couple of pairs to keep me busy, and hopefullywe can help some new keepers make their choice on how to keep their discus.

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Awesome! Looking forward to all the updates and good luck to all.
    Babar

This will be a fun one to follow!
    When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Ok I love this thread.

Mishka

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and Homesteader TNT77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff O View Post
    This will be a fun one to follow!
    +1
    Tara Bennett
    Phone: 815-876-0516

Great fish Rich!
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    Great fish Rich!
    Thanks Jim. It was a lot of fun.

Rich

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Damn wished that I could have been involved...LOL. Great looking fish. Personally I hate it when the striations are straight. I prefer a scribbled pattern.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Great idea Rod!
    I want to first mention how thoughtful it was of Rich to share these piwows with us. He did and excellent job raising them.
    I need camera card so for now I'll just give conditions and feed.
    I have 8 of them now in a 29 bb, ac 50, sera 125w, airstone.
    water is tap/ro mix with 1/16tsp safe. 400us, ph 7.5, kh 5, gh 4. temp 84. my water changes as I am in the middle of the reservoir and catskill aqueduct so sometimes 70us sometimes 450+us hence why I use ro/tap, at least I can keep changes close.
    wc 95% 1X a day aged water. My tap is run through carbon,1 micron and uv.
    feed, sera discus granules in am. bh/pro growth flake in auto feeder 3x a day, fdblkw or super veggie kelp flakes 1x after auto feeding, rich's sea food mix at end of day before wc.
    I had 9 all are about 1.75". I culled one it was dark and darting, scoped found 0 parasites,worms or protists but overstuffed intestines with sea food mix. I believe a larger piece of spinach blocked intestines and it was a matter of days before bacteria set in and bloating. I will be taking all spinach out of any feeds from now on. These fish eat like pigs. I just think one over did it but spinach does not seem to digest well in them anyway.

edit: ac filter is 70. fish last week culled one was 2.75" not 1.75
    Last edited by jimg; 02-21-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    Jim

Great thread!! I will follow the evolution of the different batches, all of you are using a WC pattern that goes from 1 90% WC per day to 2x90% WC per day, it would be curious to see the growth rate differences with a more conservative WC pattern

Rod,
    I'm in ... and will update and participate as best I can. I was lucky enough to be given 6 of these beautiful juvies from RichT this past Sunday. Rich, I can't thank you enough for your generosity here, nor can I say enough about the job you did raising these fry. They are beautiful fish already. Thank you so much !!!

Mine are still settling in a bit and I will post on them in the next day or so.

I initially had placed them in a 29 Gal tank, but then opted to move them to a 55gal. Currently they are in a bare bottom 55 gal tank. I am running 2 cycled sponge filters...no power filters at this time. temp 84-85F. 50-75% water changes per day. Foods.. Beefheart seafood mix, Freeze dried Australian Blackworms (feedings 3-4 times a day).
    My water is well water, aged, pH 7.6-7.8

I am not going to re-invent the wheel on these fish.. One of my focuses here is red turqs and these are going to be raised with future breeding stock in mind... old school good discus husbandry and care.

Thanks again Rich, and to all those in this fun little experiment. Best of luck with your Gems.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Rod who is making book on this thing and what are the odds? I want to put $20 on Rich.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Rod
    Thanks for the score card!

John
    What's the over-under?
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Rod who is making book on this thing and what are the odds? I want to put $20 on Rich.

-john
    Me to! LOL

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast