AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DIY Remineralization for RO Water

Default Re: DIY Remineralization for RO Water

A recipe I got from Ian Fuller a while back was 1 part marine salt, 1 part epsom salt and 2 parts calcium carbonate. I just mix with tap water here, but the above mix is what I'd try if I needed it.

Registered Member

Hi all, just wondering if anyone is still using anything like this in their water?
    Anyone from Australia mixing their own or using anything similar?

Cheers

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

I use RO water and reminerilize it. Its used on all my fw planted tanks and non-planted. I do not breed.

I shoot for 4 dKH and 4 dGH

For dKH, I use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) at 2.5 tsp for my 40g RO storage bin.
    And dGH, I use children's plaster of Paris (CaSO4, calcium) and Epsom salt pure (MgSO4, magnesium) at ~1.5 tsp calcium and 1tsp magnesium in RO storage bin

Since all my planted tanks get N,P,K and minor trace elements on a regular basis I do not add any to the RO. Been doing my RO for 8 yrs this way.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Syris71 View Post
    I use RO water and reminerilize it. Its used on all my fw planted tanks and non-planted. I do not breed.

For dKH, I use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) at 2.5 tsp for my 40g RO storage bin.
    And dGH, I use children's plaster of Paris (CaSO4, calcium) and Epsom salt pure (MgSO4, magnesium) at ~1.5 tsp calcium and 1tsp magnesium in RO storage bin

Since all my planted tanks get N,P,K and minor trace elements on a regular basis I do not add any to the RO. Been doing my RO for 8 yrs this way.
    Cheers for the relpy

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Syris71 View Post

I'm going for dH/KH of 3+ myself... so I'd apply your amounts to a 50gallon water change. But I'd like to prepare enough of that for 4 water changes, so 200gallons. Could I mix those amounts in 2L of water and dose as 500mL each water change?

Is it possible for these minerals to stay in suspension in a 2L solution for 3 or 4 weeks?
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Peter

<continued as I couldn't edit>

I imagine the answer is no... to pre-dissolving all dry components into a stock solution... Just looking to leave the water in my RO Storage untreated so that I can pull from it on demand for top-offs (I live in the dry desert so water top-offs are daily)... Was looking for a way to treat RO Water during Water changes as it arrived in my 2-section sump (which holds about 35 gallons of water) and circulates to the other 6 tanks in the system.

The alternative is two RO water storage containers... Larger with re-mineralized water (with a heater and airpump) for water changes.. and a smaller untreated for top-offs... I have a second spare Mag5 to transfer the water and can wire up a few more level switches... Just need to have the solenoid that turns off supply to the RO Unit looking at the high level float switches in both storage containers.... Fun stuff.
    Peter

learning never stops

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Not sure if they would stay in solution without some kind of agitation. The calcium seems the hardest to keep mixed, I run a Mag 5 when mixing it and then leave a old wavemaker powerhead in the storage running 24/7. I still end up with some white crud buildup on the bottom of the barrel. Not sure what it is, could be calcium falling out of solution After a month of this I end up rinsing/cleaning out the storage bin.

I do use this re-mineralized RO water for topoffs. The largest tank I have is a 55g open top and add about ~2.5g/week before WC. Since I do 50%WC on this tank it 'resets' the GH/KH values, to a point, if topoffs were causing a drift in values. I have tested my tank KH/GH values at the beginning and the end of the week, the values stay fairly consistent. But I live in a high humidity area, whereas you are in a drier environment I'm not sure if your topoffs would have more impact. Might be worth testing if you have a spare tank in the fish room.

Real Name
    Peter

My top-offs are big.... 15+ gallons a week. so for now... My 5 day water changes are supervised so that I can perform the re-minteralization as the 53 gallons arrives....

The top-offs are automatic, so at least I'm not dragging a bucket and putting 3 gallons in my sump nearly every day.

I'm going on a large working trip that will occupy me for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm literally going to do about an 80% water change (two 50 gallon water changes back to back over two days) and then instuct the person looking after my fish to just feed each morning... once a day. I'll cut back on the auto dosing of micro and macro nutrients as well.

I might come back to a few fish that didn't make it... and a jungle of aquatic plants.... maybe some algae, but that's fine. Later part of July I'll tackle this whole water change remineralization thing. I'm thinking I'll do two storage containers... one that is mineralized.... a 58 gallon batch at a time.. with an airstone and fountain pump moving things around... Just before water changes that will occur every 5 days I can just really agitate it with a paddle to get things suspended again as it pumps over to the FIshNook for 25 minutes.

I'll keep a smaller 30 gallon vessel to hold pure RO water for top offs and my quarantine tanks.

I'll have to work my mojo to keep the RO Unit filling both containers and stopping which ever one gets full.... and then turning off the water supply when both are full. I've got a number of additional float switches and solenoid valves laying around and I can just put another RaspberryPi4B and NodeRED solution to manage it (I own all of the stuff, it's just putting in the engineering/programming effort). Actually, it would probably be better to just expand the solution that is already in the fishnook. I have a really good wire chase to run the additional sensors and switched outlets.
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 06-25-2021 at 11:38 AM.
    Peter

learning never stops

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234