Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two of nine discus rubbing on equipment

Default two of nine discus rubbing on equipment

I have not noticed anything different in the discus other than this
    DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

noticed the last day or two a couple of fish were rubbing on equipment

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

no

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

I have used aquarium salt last two WC first dose was 1 tablespoon per gallon 2nd dosed 1 tablespoon for each gallon replaced after WC

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55 gallon, bout 8 to 9 months old 9 discus from 3.5 to 4.5
    5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

I do a wc of 70 percent at night tank running for 9 months BB and age water for 24 hours

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _85.6

- ph __6.8___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _o___

- nitrate reading _5ppm___

- well water ____

- municipal water _yes___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
    added 3 discus about 1 week ago, QT

I have looked at previous threads and saw some alittle information on this so if this is repeating information I apologize just want some thoughts to correct so that it does not get worse. Like I said nothing looks wrong with them, eating, color looks good no sores or mucus issues. I top off with RO water after I feed in the morning and vacuum whats left over.
    [I]You can't get lost if you don't know where your going...................

Default Re: two of nine discus rubbing on equipment

Always the same fish flashing?
    How often? Once a day, all the time?
    After WC?
    Is your filter outflow throwing out a lot of fine bubbles?
    How often are you feeding, and what?
    Is the water cloudy from feedings?
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

I have seen the same fish do it twice and the other once. I have only seen it happen 2 of maybe 3 times in 3 days. Not after WC during the day, do Wc at night. No bubbles. 3 to 4 times a day feeding, water not cloudy from feeding, I vacuum the bottom in the morning time after i feed before to go to work. I dont over feed .
    Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    Always the same fish flashing?
    How often? Once a day, all the time?
    After WC?
    Is your filter outflow throwing out a lot of fine bubbles?
    How often are you feeding, and what?
    Is the water cloudy from feedings?

Troy:

While you're waiting for others advices, scrub the tank, wash everything and add 2 Tbsp salt/10 gl. How are they breathing?

they seem to be breathing normal, no clamp fins or flared gills nor breathing from one gill, thought maybe gill flukes but dont see any signs of it that I can see. I have noticed a small very small less than 1/8 inch white spot on one of the side fins not sure if its damage from the tank or other fish. Fish seems to be swimming fine, eating. Dont them rub alot of coarse not home alot, was off yesterday seen it once. Had a memeber tell me yesterday (experienced member) that sometimes like us they have an itch, which makes sense. Now the little spot shows up. Doing wc everynight about 60 to 70 percent topping of with 3 gallons of RO.

Hi Troy,

My guess is a parasite, most likely Flukes.. when a fish repeatedly flashes like that something is irritating its gills and since its more than one fish, I would lean towards Flukes being the cause since everything else is looking good. That pimple may just be coincidental...Discus do get these from time to time.

If you haven't treated for flukes before, I would suggest reading up on them and possibly trying to use Formalin or prazi to treat them. If the flashing issue subsides with prazi, you can be pretty sure the problem is flukes. If the problem subsides with Formalin its a good indicator that its probably a parasite, and again my hunch would be Flukes.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks Al, I appreciate your help and others.....I have never treated for anything only WC WC and more WC lol....I will try to find how to use and I dont know if my LFS has such medication but will check.

I was looking through some threads and did some reading. I found prazipro on ebay and not formalin. In your opinion and i have read different ones, makes it little confusing, what is the absolute best to kill gill flukes. My plan is to order it and hold on to it and keep watching after 60 to 70% wc that I have been doing for awhile just to be sure. I dont want the matter to get worse and spread out but also dont want to use meds unless last resort. I have a blue diamond female that had her breeding tube out and is doing alot of shaking around others for about a week or so, like she shimmers and shakes, I am guessing that happens to draw a mate, never breed so I would think its part of way of getting a male. I have seen my fire red swim to her sideways when the BD does it, guess I am right..

Kens fish have prazi pro at really good price
    -Ismael

Troy,
    I can appreciate your dislike of using meds...I wish more were as cautious. Using Prazi is generally very safe.. and its a very good fluke treatment... but unfortunately with meds like this, resistance does start to develop in the bugs, and Prazi is no different.
    The benefits of trying prazi first is that it is relatively specific...It works on flukes and on tapeworms... it may be useful for some other worms...but since its so specific, if you see an effect on the flashing, its a really good indicator of the problem being flukes.... of course best would be a microscope check....but thats not useful to most.

As for the best fluke treatment...everyone has one... Formalin, PP, prazi, organo phosphate pesticides....they all have advocates and problems.... If the tank is barebottom.. PP can be very effective when used properly... I like to do a multi-step treatment..

You start with Prazi... which kills most flukes... let them rest 2 days then follow up with PP or Formalin for anything you missed. This method works best if you also thoroughly rinse out your sponges and wipe down the tanks prior to treating.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

thanks al, I appreciate you taking time out to help with this. I will get some prazi pro and PP. I will start with the prazi for first dose then do PP treatment. So I should only do one dose of prazi and rest for 2 days and start PP. How long should I do PP treatment for? also I put a video here can you take a look at it and tell me what you think. Thanks again man for all your help and support.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...g-on-equipment
    http://s1337.beta.photobucket.com/us...98352232195166
    Last edited by troysdiiscus; 02-26-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Troy:

When are you starting treatments? I think he meant full course of Prazi then rest 2 days before PP. Wait until he confirms then start treatments.

I have to order it first, thinking of ebay or if yall know of a cheaper place to get both. Yeah I will waite cause I hanve never treated discus before, have others but not discus so makes me REALLY nervous, want to be sure I do it 100% correct...
    Quote Originally Posted by PP_GBR View Post
    Troy:

When are you starting treatments? I think he meant full course of Prazi then rest 2 days before PP. Wait until he confirms then start treatments.

I'd would order Prazi from Kent's Fish and PP from here: http://www.sciencecompany.com/-P6403..._campaign=prod
    I prefer the lab grade PP.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by PP_GBR View Post
    Troy:

BINGO

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast