ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something I do here and why.... QT Procedure

Registered Member

Default Something I do here and why.... QT Procedure

Quote Originally Posted by PAR23 View Post
    Shawn. I thought salt baths help built up the slime coat not eliminate it. Salt dips will strip away their slime coat. I agree PP will strip them of their slime coat.
    You're absolutely right, a strong dip strips and a mild bath aids.

Default Re: Something I do here and why.... QT Procedure

Quote Originally Posted by Don in Virginia View Post
    Al,

Suppose a 30 gallon tank and you're getting 2 new 6-inch fish. Would a 90% w/c once a day be enough to prevent ammonia poisoning? And, how many days do you wait until introducing a cycled filter? Thanks.
    Don,
    Alots going to depend on the shape of the fish and what you feed them. The first day I get in fish I don't feed them at all. And if the shipper did their job well.. they will have been fasted as well before shipping. If thats the case, theres little waste day one from feces...just ammonia excreted from normal functions...so day one, a huge water change at the end of the day is fine. Day 2, I feed sparingly...and only a clean food. One feeding is fine...maybe 2 if they aggressively eat the first. I clean all wastes after giving them about 30 mins to eat... rather than a large 90 % wc... I prefer to do 2 large ones... morning and night....usually 75-80 %..sometimes more. Ammonia tests kits would be adviseable and let the results guide your water changes , though I don't use them myself with this procedure anymore.

If the fish traveled well, I may add biofilters in 3-4 days... sometimes I go longer....Technically with these kinds of water changes... you will slowly very slowly have a bio filter develop,but cycling a tank with fish in it is risky and not my goal.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    well, this was still STEP ONE from AL.. maybe he will had number 2 soon..

I've posted and shared that many times Skip... I suppose I could update that whole procedure again.. It has changed over the years in response to what I have learned and experienced.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I've posted and shared that many times Skip... I suppose I could update that whole procedure again.. It has changed over the years in response to what I have learned and experienced.

-al
    No need al.. was jus trying to get back on ur topic in ur op and away from bath salts and pp
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

I am with Skip on this one. I see no need to take a fish that has been stressed and then decide...hey I think it will be a great idea to strip away its natural defenses against illness and stress it some more.....I don't bring in a lot of fish but when I do I use nothing but clean water and good food.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    I don't bring in a lot of fish but when I do I use nothing but clean water and good food.

-john
    That there is the truth and the best thing you can give your new fish... I see no reason to PP or salt bath a new fish, but everyone has their own method that works for them.

Real Name
    Francis

Great post Al.......when I bring in new fish and all equipments brand new(heater,air stone and sponge filter) and old tank soaked in PP solution.......my good friend once told me....

You don't really need benefitial bacteria in the start.....really smile.gif

You can have the tank running and put in discus and try to feed slowly for the first 2 weeks ...gradually reaching to normal feeding rate or the rate you prefer. By then, the biological filtration will be establishes and working effectively bi itself.

If you were to use a filter media or any equipment from another tank or another culture, you might just accidently innoculate disease from the other fishes to your further discus and that disease may not be harmful to the existing because the fishes there already got the immune but introducing it to the new discus might just make the discus sick if not mortality.

unquote

Ps

of course you need max water changes daily.....plus add some acriflavine to prevent any secondary infection during shipping.
    Last edited by seanyuki; 02-27-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks, Al.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Don,
    Alots going to depend on the shape of the fish and what you feed them. The first day I get in fish I don't feed them at all. And if the shipper did their job well.. they will have been fasted as well before shipping. If thats the case, theres little waste day one from feces...just ammonia excreted from normal functions...so day one, a huge water change at the end of the day is fine. Day 2, I feed sparingly...and only a clean food. One feeding is fine...maybe 2 if they aggressively eat the first. I clean all wastes after giving them about 30 mins to eat... rather than a large 90 % wc... I prefer to do 2 large ones... morning and night....usually 75-80 %..sometimes more. Ammonia tests kits would be adviseable and let the results guide your water changes , though I don't use them myself with this procedure anymore.

If the fish traveled well, I may add biofilters in 3-4 days... sometimes I go longer....Technically with these kinds of water changes... you will slowly very slowly have a bio filter develop,but cycling a tank with fish in it is risky and not my goal.

hth,
    al

Al, I can only draw on my medical background.
    In the late 70s it was the norm to treat severe burn patients with strict sterile isolation procedures. Specially vented rooms, care givers in sterile suits, some even UV treated food if the Pt was eating. With large areas of skin loss from the burn, the pt lacked the antimicrobial effect of the skin, overwhelming secondary infections were the main cause of death. Isolation didn't help. Why? Because as soon as the pt coughed, pooped etc there were plenty of bacteria to cause an infection.
    Your fish bring their on colonies of bacteria with them, some good, some bad. If their immune system is down they will contaminate themselves.
    Your fish do well, I suspect, for the same reason they recover from trauma in nature. By doing large volumes of water changes you are diluting out the pathogens and the healthy fish takes care of the rest. So unless your seeded filters have some bad *** bacteria, they probably don't expose the fish to any pathogen it doesn't already bring to the tank. Your good fish keeping gets them over the hump of shipping trauma.

When the new fish go into the display tank or you introduce a display fish to the QT tank, the new fish may see pathogens from the old system, but again a healthy fish will either have the immune history or develop immunity to show no side effects. Again, this from a Discus novice, I think the "magic" of big WCs partly has to do with recreating the natural environment where the ratio of water volume to fish dilutes out pathogens.
    Last edited by SMB2; 02-27-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    Al, I can only draw on my medical background.
    In the late 70s it was the norm to treat severe burn patients with strict sterile isolation procedures. Specially vented rooms, care givers in sterile suits, some even UV treated food if the Pt was eating. With large areas of skin loss from the burn, the pt lacked the antimicrobial effect of the skin, overwhelming secondary infections were the main cause of death. Isolation didn't help. Why? Because as soon as the pt coughed, pooped etc there were plenty of bacteria to cause an infection.
    Your fish bring their on colonies of bacteria with them, some good, some bad. If their immune system is down they will contaminate themselves.
    Your fish do well, I suspect, for the same reason they recover from trauma in nature. By doing large volumes of water changes you are diluting out the pathogens and the healthy fish takes care of the rest. So unless your seeded filters have some bad *** bacteria, they probably don't expose the fish to any pathogen it doesn't already bring to the tank. Your good fish keeping gets them over the hump of shipping trauma.

When the new fish go into the display tank or you introduce a display fish to the QT tank, the new fish may see pathogens from the old system, but again a healthy fish will either have the immune history or develop immunity to show no side effects. Again, this from a Discus novice, I think the "magic" of big WCs partly has to do with recreating the natural environment where the ratio of water volume to fish dilutes out pathogens.
    Agree with you here Stan on the husbandry and water changes.., and its definetly not a sterile tank once we put the discus in it will quickly get populated by bacterias from the discus... but heres where I think it plays a role on disease prevention side of things.

Theres a situation that is known to happen when 2 discus meet that are from 2 very different settings. Its kind of like when you go on vacation to somewhere like Mexico and you are from CT.. They tell you not to drink the water... why? because you aren't used to the bacteria in it and get sick. The locals have no issue with it as they have developed immunity from exposure. We see this alot in Discus... you have a healthy tank of discus from breeder X, buy discus that healthy from breeder y.. mix X and Y fish and one of several things happens... none get sick, one gets sick ,the other gets sick... rarely both can. They just aren't used to each others bacterial colonies.

I think that by allowing the fishes slime coat to heal before they meet non-familiar bacterias ...its a possible that we minimize the chance that one will crash since that slime coat is the first line of defense. Should it be absent, It may be easier for a potentially pathogenic bacteria to get a foothold.

In theory at least... I am sure that the clean water is also a factor.. but I think we tend to overlook the importance of the fishes slime coat...and with discus..that slime coat is definetly complex .

or it could just be me, running off at the mind again.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I think that by allowing the fishes slime coat to heal before they meet non-familiar bacterias ...its a possible that we minimize the chance that one will crash since that slime coat is the first line of defense. Should it be absent, It may be easier for a potentially pathogenic bacteria to get a foothold.

In theory at least... I am sure that the clean water is also a factor.. but I think we tend to overlook the importance of the fishes slime coat...and with discus..that slime coat is definetly complex .
    I like the analogy, but the above is the take home message I think. As an aside, given the above reasonable argument, I wonder why we see so many photos of people holding fish especially out of the transport bag.
    Last edited by SMB2; 02-27-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    ...I wonder why we see so many photos of people holding fish especially out of the transport bag.
    Stan,
    It makes a great picture...and if the fish are not stressed from shipping, and have not lost much of their slime coat in the shipping and handling part, they probably recover pretty fast. That aside, many people also use a prophylactic treatment of antibiotics... which is not something I recommend. I think my method here would accomplish much the same as the antibiotics without adding the risk of creating a resistant bacterial strain...Thats my opinion though, others may feel that benefits outweigh the risks.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12