AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I do here and why.... QT Procedure

Default Something I do here and why.... QT Procedure

Hi all,
    This is not an experiment , but its a procedure I have taken to using here the last few years when I get in new fish. I guess you could call it step one of my Quarantine Procedure. I thought I would describe it here, explain my rational for doing this and open it up for discussion. I am not advocating this as something you should do, or need to do, and I have no proof that it actually makes a difference....but it seems like it should in theory.

So heres the scenario. You are expecting some new fish in and have done all those things that have been recommended..Separate area from your existing tanks (check), quarantine tank with stable water of the appropriate temperature (check), separate equipment (check), prepared to be patient for weeks of observation (check), Biologically cycled Filter (check)..

okay.in my case..... scratch that Biologically cycled filter... you might ask why knowing that having one will keep the ammonia and Nitrites safely converted to less toxic nitrates. Its common for people setting up a quarantine tank to have a good cycled filter....often plucked right out of one of their healthy established tanks. I used to do this ,...most do.

I started doing things differently a few years ago. I set up my QT tank "sterile"... well not sterile... but I bleach it, rinse it well, wipe it clean, run it with no biological media...just clean water... and my new fish go right into this. I tend to look at things I do from a biological point of view and I got to thinking about the fishes immune system..Its first line of defense is its slime coat and skin...thats where many antibodies are...Problem is when you net fish, ship them, handle them...the slim coat is destroyed or severely damaged... so if you put this fish into a tank with water teaming with bacteria that its never encountered...it has the potential to be stressful at the least, or could lead your new fish to crash badly as many have experienced.

My thoughts/theory was would it not be better to let the fishes slime coat heal first before it encountered an onslaught of bacteria and potential pathogens? So thats what I do... clean tank...no biological filtration...just lots of water changes day and night.... This I do for several days until the fish have really settled in and healed... Its amazing how much faster minor fin damages heal this way as well.

After a few days...I will then add a biological filter from a trusted tank...and I have never had a problem with the fish this way. Now a disclaimer... Everytime someone makes a claim like this 50 people jump in and say "I've always done it the other way and never had a problem." I don't doubt you in this case....and this method isn't meant to be proposed as better than using a QT with a cycled/seeded filter.... But I do think it has merit and may be a very good alternative.

Additionally.. If you do use a cycled or seeded tank filter and the new fish get sick...you really have no way to know if the new fish brought it in or are reacting to the bacterialogical fauna of your existing tank. However, if the fish break down with a bacterial infection or parasite infection in that biologically lacking QT tank...it raises questions on the health of the new fish.

I also like to consider my fish husbandry using similar rules that we might apply to other animals, for instance... is it best to let a scrape or cut be exposed to pathogens or heal first before that happens. Obviously, we want the wound to heal a bit...which is why we make bandaids!!

So thats its....not a huge radical change from what most may do, but its something I do here.. and I can't prove it makes a difference one bit.. but from a "gee that makes sense "kind of way it seems a no brainer.

hth,
    al

ps... YOU DO NEED TO CHANGE LOTS OF WATER TO REMOVE WASTES AND AMMONIA THIS WAY OR YOU WILL KILL YOUR FISH!!!!
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-26-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Something I do here and why.... QT Procedure

Oh and another thing... If you do it this way and do need to treat.. You don't have to worry about killing or impairing your biological filter.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Interesting perspective. I tend to not add any seeded sponges either, but I do add pure pond balls. Do you think those might have an effect on on a fishes immune system?

Mishka

Al..
    TcT has one tank is fishless cycle at all time.. well my last visit..

He had like 4-6 hydrosponges.. in there and he added flake food everyday to decay..

Its seemed like a sound procedure
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Hi Mishka,
    I'm Honestly not familar with that Pure Pond balls. I would assume that if they are seeded by something like ammonia commercially, they are probably fine. If they are seeded by existing tanks or ponds...then they are probably similar to any other filter.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Skip,
    I've done that as well...I use clear ammonia to keep those going....and they are a very good way to keep a biological filter going thats free of pathogens... They really are great to have on hand..

thanks,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Hmmmm I think next time I get new fish I will try your way.

Mishka

I have always setup my QT without an establish filter or sponge and never have any issue with my new fish...

I have a very similar thought process like yours Al. I feel during the QT period, not only am I trying to protect my current stock but also attempting to keep the new stock from getting sick with new pathogens which exist in my tanks. It is a two way street.
    Pete
    MAGA

Al,

Suppose a 30 gallon tank and you're getting 2 new 6-inch fish. Would a 90% w/c once a day be enough to prevent ammonia poisoning? And, how many days do you wait until introducing a cycled filter? Thanks.

Registered Member

Default Something I do here and why.... QT Procedure

Al,

I don't ship in fish like you folks do, but this is actually the same thought process in treating with salt and/or PP. Both these treatments strip away their slime coats and along with that their natural defenses. I try to advocate the use of these treatments in a dip or a bath to be followed up by a sterile tank rather than an established tank.

To add to that, what I personally do if my water was of low KH and PH, I choose to not change the water since ammonia is non toxic in low ph situations. Introducing tap or other water sources during this critical time could be a game changer.

P.S. I am NOT advocating you do this, as you may KILL your fish. This is something that I do, and have found it to work.

Shawn. I thought salt baths help built up the slime coat not eliminate it. Salt dips will strip away their slime coat. I agree PP will strip them of their slime coat.
    Pete
    MAGA

not sure what Salt Baths and PP have to do with QT procedures of fish when you first receive them..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    not sure what Salt Baths and PP have to do with QT procedures of fish when you first receive them..
    Right or wrong, some people use it as part of their QT procedure.
    Pete
    MAGA

well, this was still STEP ONE from AL.. maybe he will had number 2 soon..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast