AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Planting dishes

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Planting dishes

I have been making and offering my planting dishes for some time now. But now that I have posted some pics of how they work and grow plants in a BB discus tank I am getting more interest. So here are some pics of a recent special order I had from a SD member. Also included here are pics of some of the dishes in use in my tanks. I use sand, fertilizer sticks and Sword plants and Crypts. Other plants do well too. Most of my dishes are $10 ea. plus shipping. Sizes are 6-10". I have several colors of clay, they can also be glazed in lovely colors to match my glazed cones, and I put a hole in the bottom of each. I offer much larger dishes if needed. If you are interested just let me know, I can make yours this coming week. Thank you for checking out my posts!
    Barb
    Attached Images Attached Images

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Default Re: Planting dishes

That`s exactly what I`ve been thinking of doing to my discus tank. Great idea! Is it possible to make a more rectangular shape? glazed also? I would like one ~8" by 16". How much to ship to nova scotia, Canada?
    Last edited by Glenn36; 03-03-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Yes, I could make that. It would be heavy though, I will estimate postage to NS would be about $25 and that would be a $35 dish if glazed. Unglazed would be $25. his large a dish would be much harder to make. You can send me a pm if interested and to get more info. Thanks Glenn,
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

These are very nice! I will be starting another tank (tetras) & will order some

Joe

Thanks Joe, just let me know when you want dishes for your plants.
    Barb

Registered Member

I would like 2 planting dishes myself please send me a email on how to contact u my email is
    Ernie950x@gmail.com thanks. Ernie

New pictures taken today. My tank is 125 gal. with a 1/2" sand substrate. However, I can grow lovely swords in my clay planting dishes, with the sand 2-4" deep in them. I add fertilizer sticks to the sand, that is all. Debris on the sand in the dishes is easily blown out onto the tank floor for quick removal with my syphon. I find that this is a great way to have the "planted tank" look, without all the problems with cleanliness with the gravel bottom, planted tank. I also have Anubias on a couple pieces of driftwood in here.

I make and sell the dishes, all sizes from 6" up to 12", in terra cotta, or white, or tan or even black. Two colors can be swirled together. Prices range from $8 for the smallest, up to $20 for my largest at !2" diameter and 3-4" deep. I make drainage holes in the bottom of each dish, to help with air exchange for healthier roots. A piece of filter floss over the holes keeps the sand or gravel in the dish. These are also great for bare bottom tanks, they sit well and look good on bare glass!
    Barb
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barb the ones you made ME are SO so so so pretty they are glazed with the swirly pattern and i simply must get some pictures for you since im sure everyone will want them, however they are for smaller plants only, i wish i could afford to buy bigger versions ully glazed !!! perhaps you could do a quote like the same exact material in a cone, but just in pot shape, that would be the next size up from the ones you made me !!!
    - Marnie
    www.bootcamprescue.com

I need to see pics Marnie. I have forgotten what I sent you before. I can glaze the xlg dishes, but it would be quite a bit more in cost. A $20 planting dish, glazed, would go up to $35. The glazes I make myself, and they are rather pricey. I just made your swirled clay dishes this morning!
    Barb

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by musicmarn1 View Post
    Barb the ones you made ME are SO so so so pretty they are glazed with the swirly pattern and i simply must get some pictures for you since im sure everyone will want them, however they are for smaller plants only, i wish i could afford to buy bigger versions ully glazed !!! perhaps you could do a quote like the same exact material in a cone, but just in pot shape, that would be the next size up from the ones you made me !!!
    I would love to see pictures of your planting dishes.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi