ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P.

Default R.I.P.

It's been a tough couple of days for me. To say that I've been distracted is a complete understatement but best describes the fog that I'm in emotionally and mentally.

I learned Monday that my good friend and fellow shipmate Christian Pike, US Navy Chief Cryptologic Technician (SW) , was shot in Afghanistan.

Based on new information I've edited the initial thread to refelct the following:

I've been in touch with Chris's girlfriend, Morgan. She informed me that the inital account of the incident was is not entirely accurate. Below is a more accurate account....

Chris's mother, Diana Pike, made this statement on Facebook:

‎"3/14/13 my son Christian Michael Pike died from his injuries sustained in battle on March 10th. Christian's injury caused immediate brain death. The AK round came from directly above, Christian never saw it coming and did not suffer. He was part of a five man team which engaged in a firefight with approximately 16-1...8 enemy troops. Chris was alone on one roof top, his friend and team mate, Ben Pitassi heard, "Chris down," and saw Chris lying prone on the adjacent roof top. Risking his own life, under heavy fire, Ben climbed off his roof top and traversed the compound climbed up to Chris, grabbed by him by his body armor and got him office the roof. Ben provided immediate life saving measures and call to medivac while continuing to protect Chris an participate in the battle. The helicopter landing under heavy fire and got Chris and continued life saving measures. The four remaining brave Navy men continued fighting the enemy force for an additional 10 hours. Six to eight enemy combatants were killed, to include the man who shot Christian. The battle ended when the remaining force ran away like a bunch of babies (my emphasis).
    My extreme gratitude is extended to Ben Pitassi and the flight crew who risked their lives to save my son. I spoke with Ben this morning and he apologized for not being able to do more. I told him what the neurosurgeon told us, Ben's action were miraculous as the surgeon had never seen anyone with Chris' brain injury survive for any length of time. I thanked Ben for giving me another day with Christian - my time to tell him good bye. 20 years ago his father Michael, passed away and Christian got the change to sit at his beside in much the same manner as I sat with Chris. Ben and a heroic flight crew gave me invaluable time and Christian hung on until Jared Wittman could make it to his side.
    Christian was so proud to be a Navy Chief with the SW Special Ops group and he was living honorably a life he chose. He wouldn't have it any other way and neither would I. There is a line from a movie (which of course I cannot recall right now), "I would rather have a short live of something wonderful than a long life of nothing special." Christian lived every day, fully and with joy in his heart. He was beautiful, compassionate, honorable, happy and he loved his friends, family, and Navy borthers and sisters with all his heart. He and his sister are my heart. Thank you all so much for your love and prayers as I know your prays gave me the miracle of time. I love you all."

My last interaction with Chris was in September 2012 at a picnic. We have a small pool of mutual friends and did this frequently. We exchanged many stories about our time in Iraq and Afghanistan. We talked about the many things that come with deployments to these areas of the world and what we do to cope with what we see and hear at war. At no time had the thought entered my mind that I would never be able to talk to and welcome back my friend, Chris. I was foolish to assume that he would return safely and I wish I would have taken more time, one more minute to enjoy his company.

Chris was an amazing human being and a skilled warrior.

chris.jpg
    Last edited by Chad Hughes; 03-15-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Details of actual events changed
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: R.I.P.

Hugs Chad and sorry about the lost of your friend. Hugs and prayers to his family.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks Pat. I appreciate that.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers to his family...

Chad,
    Prayers for your friends family and you and his other fellow brothers in arms. Our military is exceptional and can never be appreciated enough.

AF Ret. MSgt.
    Last edited by DLFL; 03-13-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    Dick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Tim Allen

No good and very hard to handle in a tough time. RIP
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Chad I have never been in combat but I can understand the bonds that form when serving in those situations. I have the deepest respect for all of those have served to protect the freedoms that many of us take for granted. Thank you, thank Chris, and thank all of those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice so the rest of us can enjoy this life that we have.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Chad,
    I am so sorry for your loss there bud, and the loss of their loved one that Christian's Family is dealing with. I don't think we can ever say thank you enough to those of you that serve our Country. Rest in Peace Christian Pike, and THANKYOU.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Sorry to hear this Chad I had a good friend from high school commit suicide 7 year ago. I know his life ended differently then your friend but it is still loosing a good friend and a buddy. Sorry this has happened I am sure he was a great guy.
    My wife names my fish

Real Name
    Dave

My Brother my prayers are with you and with him and his family. If there is anything I can do I am willing. RIP sailor.

David Gray
    USN AMHAN 05 Jul 88 -04 Jul 92 VA-145 home port Whidbey Island Naval Air Station deployed with CV-61 USS Ranger
    USNR Seaman, Fireman, DC3, and finally MA3 03 Jan 1993-July 2000, Inactive Ready Reserve 2000-2003
    Army Civilian Security officer 27 Oct 97-31 May 2002
    Army Civilian Explosives Operator (Toxic Materials Handler) 01 Jun 2002-22 Dec 2003 (worked moving, monitoring, and cleaning up spills with chemical weapons at the Umatilla Chemical Depot in Eastern Oregon)
    Army Civilian Ammunition Inpector 23 Dec 2003-09 Aug 2012 (job ended due to mission complete)

So sorry to hear the bad news Chad.

Not a lot more can be said that you don't feel already friend.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I pray that your wonderful memories will sustain you thru this rough time. Prayers for you and his family.

Very sorry for your loss Chad. Thank you and all of your friends for your service.

Rod
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Sorry to hear this Chad. Losing a friend is hard thing. I have a friend in the Navy who is stationed in San Diego that I ended up staying up until almost 4am last week when he got news one of his friends was shot during his deployment. He was with the soldiers family when he got the news which made it worse. Stay strong my friend!
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Default R.I.P.

Thank you to you and Chris and everyone who serves! Everyone in the military past/present/ or future has my upmost respect!

Prayers for Chris's family and friends as they cope with the unexpected loss.
    SOS Crew Texas
    Show Committee for NADA 2014 AUSTIN TX

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast