AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building a small fish room in a 200 sq ft building outside.

Default Re: Building a small fish room in a 200 sq ft building outside.

Just saw this.Nice,neat little project.Cant wait to see it done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Nice!! Looking great!!

Yah its coming together. Its not like the others with stacks of tanks. But I think it will work fine for now for my hobby. Have several 20's,29,70 and 129 gallon tanks fitting in the room. Cant waite to get the tanks out of one of our bedrooms. Then I can have another room for company.

Moved fish into building. Still have stuff to finish though. Will post a picture when we get the drainage in. Had set back though electricity not working on one wall, so have wires hanging across, but hope to get it fixed soon. It sure is nice having the sink close to the tanks. Ordered an RO system should come in this week. The filter I have in the building will help keep the water at a more manageable mineral levels for babies. It was way too much stuff in out water earlier.

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Very nice.
    Cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Well got our water lines hooked up to each tank. This is so nice. So much easier to add water. Still need to put the drain lines in. separated my blues into one tank and my reds and Albinoes into my 70 gallon tank. Hope to get pairs. Have a water softener and 20's set up. Had one pair but after several failed attmpts, (the eggs always turned white even after using the water softener. So I think the male is not fertilizing the eggs( even though I was guaranteed he was a male,) So separated them and hope to get another pair.

You mentioned water softener, is this really what you are using??? I hope you really mean that you are using RO water. Have you tested the water to make sure hardness is in a range that would allow a chance to the spawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlprice45 View Post
    Well got our water lines hooked up to each tank. This is so nice. So much easier to add water. Still need to put the drain lines in. separated my blues into one tank and my reds and Albinoes into my 70 gallon tank. Hope to get pairs. Have a water softener and 20's set up. Had one pair but after several failed attmpts, (the eggs always turned white even after using the water softener. So I think the male is not fertilizing the eggs( even though I was guaranteed he was a male,) So separated them and hope to get another pair.
    Jorge Q

Sorry I dont know why I said softener, I am using a RO system. The TDS was at 60. I used a KENT product and the pH was 7. Everything seemed good.

Hey, whats ph/tds on regular tap water? Since u have already attempted few times now, try reading about the usage of methylene blue on eggs, its helps prevent pathogens attack on eggs/embryo's and also it acts as a hydrogen peroxide,my few cents.

The water is completely cleaned through the RO system. TDS is 0 then I add supplements back in being 60 tds and 7.0 pH. My regular tap water is 180 tds and 7.6 pH. Which my young fish do great in. I have not gotten any fungus on my eggs, it seems to be a fertilization problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlprice45 View Post
    The water is completely cleaned through the RO system. TDS is 0 then I add supplements back in being 60 tds and 7.0 pH. My regular tap water is 180 tds and 7.6 pH. Which my young fish do great in. I have not gotten any fungus on my eggs, it seems to be a fertilization problem.
    So this is very interesting, I have successfully bred them before in my tap water which has quite a bit more TDS than yours. By any chance did you even try to breed then in your straight tap first to confirm the pair?? I would have first confirm that they do make wigglers in tap and if proven, then I would try some RO if the percentage of wigglers needed to be improved.

Then again there is a chance that male just not up to the game.
    Jorge Q

They layed for almost a year in the normal tap water, but never got successful batch. The eggs would always turn white. not fungus white, just white like they were not being fertilized. The male I had was supposed to be a confirmed male. So dont know what else to do or say. i thought maybe I had something in my water that may have be causing this.

+1

Dlprice45,how the male breeding tube looks like, can u take a pic if possible? What are you feeding ur fish? y can't u give a try with MB!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAngels View Post
    So this is very interesting, I have successfully bred them before in my tap water which has quite a bit more TDS than yours. By any chance did you even try to breed then in your straight tap first to confirm the pair?? I would have first confirm that they do make wigglers in tap and if proven, then I would try some RO if the percentage of wigglers needed to be improved.

Then again there is a chance that male just not up to the game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123