ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a small fish room in a 200 sq ft building outside.

Default Building a small fish room in a 200 sq ft building outside.

Hi, I have had Discus tanks in a back room for some time and realized that I am going to destroy my house with all the spillage water changes I make every day. so I have decided to build a nice setup in a small outside builiding. I have a lot of glass aquariums that Im going to attempt to drill a hole in to have an outlet for water drainage. I am just beginning so we are insulating and thinking about how to keep moisture from accumulating . thinking of using green board on walls and linoleum floor maybe? and an outlet for water to escape the building in case of water spillage. would a dehumidifier work well enough or should we have a different air exchanger? We live in a moist climate in Washington on an island. so rains a lot here. We have power to the building so at least we have that to start. I just want to be able to change water more efficiently with PVC and better set up. Dont plan to be big fish breeder just a hobby, but want to have enough to have a couple breeding tanks and grow out tanks.

Default Re: Building a small fish room in a 200 sq ft building outside.

So any advise?

Default Building a small fish room in a 200 sq ft building outside.

Sounds like a fun project. I always like a good fish room creation. I would recommend that you insulate the room well, and use either a blue drywall for bathrooms or possibly some form of ridge plastic for the walls. This will help with any moisture build up. Not to sure about the weather in your area but insulation will help going a long way to maintaining a constant water temp. Don't forget the ceiling as well.

Floor drain and ridge up plumbing for sure it makes water changes so much easier, you could run that pipe right out into your garden if you wish to be a little greener.

Floor press tiles or linoleum are all good options. As for Humidity control I have about a 200 square foot fish room in my house I have a humistat it's a switch like a thermostat only it turns on once you reach a certain humidity level. Mine is connected to a 150 CFM bathroom fan and vents outside of the house. It just come on and goes off when it's needed. Much cheaper then a dehumidifier and its adjustable so in times of high ambient humidity you can turn it up.

Other items to consider enough space for your water storage tank and enough room to look at and enjoy your fish as well.

Good luck and if you want pm me some pictures or a drawings and I will give you some advice if you so wish

Good luck
    Andrew

I think I would use the vent fan during warm months and use a dehumidifier in winter. Pulling 20f degree air into your 85f degree fishroom doesn't sound good to me.

Registered Member

If you plan on painting any parts of the interior of the building, there is a paint that prevents/kills mildew. I think its called Kiln? Not really sure of the name, its pretty common though. A hardware store could track it down for you.

Quote Originally Posted by decoy50 View Post
    If you plan on painting any parts of the interior of the building, there is a paint that prevents/kills mildew. I think its called Kiln? Not really sure of the name, its pretty common though. A hardware store could track it down for you.
    Kilz

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
    --Don--

I have some pictures of the room I used before and the building it will be movinginto as soon as we get it all done[/ATTACH]DSCF2371.JPGDSCF2372.JPGDSCF2361.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dlprice45; 03-30-2013 at 10:08 PM.

DSCF2368.JPG Well the building is smaller than i thought, but I will have to work with it. We have a plan to have a full row of tanks and two tank high on a side wall and near a door. We are going to insulate first. My husband is making some vents along the top and we are going to paint the inside boards and use cork boards along the bottom to help it breath and vents to help moisture get out. May have to use a dehumidifier but not sure we will see how it works out. My husband want to make the drain and intake lines on the outside of the wall. We have a ways to go.
    Last edited by Dlprice45; 03-30-2013 at 10:13 PM.

It's small, but you are really going to enjoy it. You said it's 200sqft, so that is probably about 10' x 20'. You'll be able to get a lot of tanks in there, and it will be effecient to heat.

Keep us posted.

It is small. Smaller than 200 sq ft. I think its 8' x 20', but I think it will work for my hobby. At least my house will be saved. To many water changes gone wrong with water on the floor. May have to redo that room when I get everything moved out, oh well such as life of a fish crazed hobbiest

Even if you only have one long wall for tanks, 20 feet of tanks is a big increase over what you can have in your house. If you ever decide that you need a little more room it looks like a simple design that would be easy to expand.

That is true. I was thinking that to.

DSCF2376.JPGDSCF2379.JPGWell putting insulation in and water resistant boards over that, with air vents on top and bottom. will be painting over this board with exterior water resistant paint. Still have a ways to go. Once i paint will put Linoleum down with water able to drain ourtside if there is a spill and then the water lines, and electricity into the building. Fun Fun ;-)

Hey does anyone have plans for how the drainage should be hooked up? We were thinking of making holes 2 inches from the bottom on the side of the tank and have gravity take it out. Will be drilling holes in glass tanks, so wish us luck there. Anyone have diagrams of the drain ? Trying to get ideas.

Registered Member

If its not too late a sky light has done wonders for me. For the flooring can you use a rubber membrane for roofing to seal floor and joints? I have a cement floor with a floor drain. I drain directly on the floor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast