ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a small fish room in a 200 sq ft building outside.

Default Re: Building a small fish room in a 200 sq ft building outside.

DSCF2464.JPGDSCF2466.JPGDSCF2465.JPGwell we took a break and now we are working on it again. Digging ditch for electricity and water lines. the building is insulated and has 3 vents and got vinyl to lay down on the floor and a large sink to put in the building. Cant waite to get this finished. Need to hook up a RO system. My water seems to be to hard and the eggs dont make it well. At least I think thats why.

Well put vinyl down and hooking up electricity into the building. We also are getting ready for water. Trying to figure out how to hook up the drain lines. I did a diagragm of how tanks will be put up. Need to build the shelves. Got more tanks than I thought, may have to expand this building in time, uhg. Its supposed to be a hobby, oh such as life
    Last edited by Dlprice45; 06-10-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Electricity in and drain and water in, building stand this week and then rest of water hook ups. The building got a lot smaller now that shelves are getting built. Hopefully this will owrk for my hobby. Really looking forward to getting the fish in there.

dIprice, may I ask what our foundation is made of?? from the pictures it looks like a normal shed raised floor and that would surely not hold up with the amount of wait from all the tanks. Just a thought.

I also have mine outside, but it's directly on a concrete slab.
    Jorge Q

It is not a concrete floor. I have it on a solid wood floor. We have like real thick floor joist underneath. My husband agreed it was strong enough. but I am only having one row of tanks on the long wall and just 2 shelves on one end, so not the normal double stacking of tanks. Hoping I wont need anymore space or otherwise I will have to extend the building and we may build a concrete floor if we extent out. wish I had the room for double stacking of tanks, but as you mentioned the floor may get to overloaded with that. we just barried the drain lines outside and painted shelves to be put in. It will be a small cute hobby building. look forward to having the efficiency of changing water faster and not worrying about spills. concrete is definitely the best option though.,

Copy, looking forward to pictures of the final setup. Congrats
    Jorge Q

Fun projects setting up, all will be good when completed. Not along span from what I can see with weight, however, I would probably get some cap blocks and run along the side of the wall that you are running the tanks on for extra support, with added weight and moisture maybe a good idea....just a thought...good luck, looks like fun!!!
    [I]You can't get lost if you don't know where your going...................

We also have a floor drain, so water shouldnt get on the wood floor. Although i understand moisture may be an issue although we have put vents in. We will see, may have to put in a dehumidifier. My husband worked with the roof so water wont accumulate, it will have a spot to drain out. I dont quite understand what he did, but trust it will work. he is pretty good with solving building problems. Still working on the idea for draining each tank out. though we will put a solid pipe in corner of each tank down to 4"-5" off the bottom and a flexible hose will be used to take out debris and such. we are using a pump to drain out, not sure on the strength. We are also pumping water into tanks out of storage tanks. One tank will be RO water for my breeding pairs and another for regular changes with young fish. It will be a tight fit. Still have a lot of kinks to work out.

That's such a tiny little building. I can't wait to see it filled up with fish. It will be a happy, tiny, building!

I think it will be a happy building. I thought of planting a Lotus in one of the storage tanks for fun. think that would dirty the water to much? I am also going to paint the outside of the building tan with picture of Discus on the front with flower beds around the entrance, so going to make it a cute hobby room.

Additional $$$ on Solar power for fish room heating can be fun too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allwin View Post
    Additional $$$ on Solar power for fish room heating can be fun too!!!
    Yeah. If I were you I'd go o harbor freight and get their solar panel set up its cheap and could cut cost tremendously. I'd pay for itself within a year easy. I'd have it run lighting and maybe daytime heating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Need some fishy designs or illustration? Like my avatar? When i'm not messing with fish, I'm a designer and illustrator. Check me out!
    ewrightdesign.com

You know I will mention that to my husband. Its not a very big area to heat, but solar would be helpful and more affordable in the long run. although we dont have the sun as much as some of you guys. Would be nice to make this building self sufficient. Heating the water would be a lot cheaper if we could use solar or something like that.

Well one step at a time. We will use the electricity at this time.

DSCF2476.JPGDSCF2475.JPGDSCF2477.JPGDSCF2478.JPGOk we are getting close. Have electricity, water and drainage. Still need to hook up RO system, although its close and pumps to drainage system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast