ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 125 Gallon Discus Tank Ideas

Registered Member Isn't Discus A Sport ?'s Avatar

Lightbulb 125 Gallon Discus Tank Ideas

Hello, and first off I would like to mention I'm new here and it took me 5 minutes to find out how to start a thread! Now onto my topic. I am getting a 125g down the road and I know that I will stock it with discus for sure, but I want to know what fish should go with them. I was thinking Siamese Algae Eaters and Corys but I would like some advice. I'm just trying to plan and make this tank perfect because it is all I would have money to buy. Also, if this changes anything, it will be heavily planted with a sand / fine Fluorite substrate. Filtration Eheim 2028 for 158g. The tank will be fairly high in lighting, too. I know that that isn't the best for discus so I will have a lot of retreats is they feel it is necessary. I will be housing 6 discus, too. Feel free to ask for anything I might have left out in order for you to get a better suggestion. Thanks

Default Re: 125 Gallon Discus Tank Ideas

Just about anyone will say that keeping a barebottom tank is best for discus for many reasons, however, if you're keen on going the planted/community route. I would highly recommend adult discus for this setup. If larger adult discus are not in your price range, i'd suggest getting some smaller ones, grow them out and once they are big then you can add them to the planted scene. just my 2 cents. Good Luck!
    Mike

Thanks. Oh, and this is what I mean, leaving things out. I was kind of in a rush when I was creating this and forgot to mention that they would be about 5-6". Also, I am thinking bottom feeders and or algae eaters because I want the discus to be the "attraction". There will be no carpeting plants and all of the sediment will fall onto the sand which I will siphon up. If it does fall into the sand and sink then I'll stir it up and let it sit for a few minutes. Isn't sand substrate the same as a barebottom (besides the plants), you just have to be more careful?

Should I get SAE's? I've heard from mixed reviews w/ discus that they attack the discus and are too active. Yes, I'm talking about the true SAE's.

Registered Member

I do not know about SAE's, there are opinions both ways. Cory cats are good. The opinion on SD is that Sterbai Corys are best at Discus temps. I have only had Sterbais so I am not sure about the rest. I have Clown Loaches. I have not had a problem but I think there are rare bad reports. People say they are too active but my Discus disagree! I would not do Clowns in a BB tank as they need places to hide. Bristle Nose Plecos also get good reviews on SD but I have not had them.

Most SAEs will become a problem as they get larger. If you want a clean up crew for the bottom, go with corys. You can fill out the upper levels of the tank with deep-bodied tetras like lemons, serpae, black neons, or rummynose.