ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: bottle filters

Registered Member

Default bottle filters

In the post about friends having a contest with the rt"s in Rods tank there are 2 filters that intrigue me. Are these home made or purchased? If home made what is the filter media and are there holes in the bottom of the bottle by the cap?
    Thank you
    Jay

Default Re: bottle filters

I remember Josie from Chicago Discus doing a tutorial video about it.. I could not find the llink though.. The media used is K1 and if I remember correctly she also sells it. Look though her section to see if you can find the info you are after... You'll see that she uses these bio-filters quite a bit..
    Jorge Q

Registered Member

Thanks Jorge. I will follow up on that.
    Jay

Here's how to make one, compliments of Josie http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=media+bottle. I myself have a bottle in every discus tank i own.
    Mike

Registered Member

Thanks Mike. Will start making some myself. Where can I get K1? What exactly is it? How many filters would I need for 75 gal some with 6, some with 10 fish in them?
    Jay

There is a complicated formula for the "exact" ammount if thats what your looking for i think Joey explains it in one of this videos on this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ild&highlight= however, in my 75g i have 1x 1.5L bottle. 60% full with K1, Josie sells the K1 and if you look around im sure you could find it elsewhere. To sum what exactly it is up shortly, it is a bio media, beneficial bacteria will host on the K1 pieces, the great thing about K1 is that it is self cleaning, as it cycles in the bottle the old dieing bacteria will fall off and only the strong healthy bacertia will stay attached. Unlike a sponge filter that can eventually host Bad bacteria over time if not maintained. It does take a few weeks for the media to get "seeded" so you may not see complete movement in the bottle right away. Just be sure when purchasing you get LEGIT K1 Kaldnes, not the chinese copy counterpart that is subpar.
    Mike

Real Name
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Thanks Mike. Will start making some myself. Where can I get K1? What exactly is it? How many filters would I need for 75 gal some with 6, some with 10 fish in them?
    Jay
    http://www.koienterprise.com/Koi-Pon...edia-p-50.html
    They sell K1 and info about it
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    grass acssc

The filters about the all bottle this was the topic that I got from my college for making an assignment on this. I search a lot on this but could not find any data so I took help from https://www.alltechbuzz.net/english-grammar-check/ this was the company that work in this city since long they create my assignment or I will pay them for that.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by 0Dgreen View Post
    ...Unlike a sponge filter that can eventually host Bad bacteria over time if not maintained...
    I've never heard of this. Know of several discus keepers who use only sponge filters and never clean them.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Never experienced "bad" bacterial with sponge filters or mat filters.