ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!! ASAP.. Discus DYING/ new tank... how to fix this

Registered Member

Default Re: HELP!!!! ASAP.. Discus DYING/ new tank... how to fix this

Quote Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
    Your tank is cycling and you really need to either be doing near 100% changes at least once a day with aged water or get do a complete change and add 2 large bottles of tetra safe start and not do anything. Either way don't do anything to the filters while it is cycling and don't feed at all at this point and use prime between changes. Filter substrate ammonia/nitrite removers are just going to make the cycle last longer. Hopefully they are healthy enough to recover. Toss the melafix in the trash btw, dosing with metro is just going to add to the problem at this point IMO.

I have been using the bacteria boost bottles. Is tertra safe the same thing? and if I add alot will it suck out all the oxygen?

Registered Member

I don't know too much about diseases and cures, but I saw you said you had a hospital tank? If I were you, I would take all my discus and put them in the smaller tank with nothing but heater and sponge filter. Large water changes would be easier in a smaller tank with nothing but discus. I would then clean out my 90 gallon real good and wait for it to cycle before re-introducing the discus.
    Khoi

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by SaucyKP View Post
    I don't know too much about diseases and cures, but I saw you said you had a hospital tank? If I were you, I would take all my discus and put them in the smaller tank with nothing but heater and sponge filter. Large water changes would be easier in a smaller tank with nothing but discus. I would then clean out my 90 gallon real good and wait for it to cycle before re-introducing the discus.
    Yes we do, the only caution I have with this, is will it stress them out more / will it make them worse? Can 10 Discus fit into a 20 gallon long lol? I will do whatever it takes.. Just dont want to do any more "wrongs" at this point.

Sunshine,

Many people come to this forum in your very position, so no need to feel sorry.

For now, leave out all the extra stuff. No more additives. Just stick to clean water treated with Prime. You can't go wrong with this combination. Discus can go months without eating and should not be your focus at this point. In fact, stop feeding for about a week to allow your water quality to imporve and filter to mature.

I do have a question about your tap water. Tap water changes by locations. Since you will be doing large water changes, tap water quality is important. Do you know or have you tested your tap water for pH swings? A simple test will show if you have stable water. Draw a sample of water (about a half gallon) and test the pH. Record that value. Place an airstone attached to an air pump in the sample of water and let it bubble for about 24 hours. Test the pH again. If the pH rises significantly, you have excess CO2 in your water and will require aging for healthy discus keeping.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When did u add new fish exactly.. ?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sunshine, I am hoping the WCs will help with them being dark and the slime coat shedding.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    Sunshine,

Many people come to this forum in your very position, so no need to feel sorry.

For now, leave out all the extra stuff. No more additives. Just stick to clean water treated with Prime. You can't go wrong with this combination. Discus can go months without eating and should not be your focus at this point. In fact, stop feeding for about a week to allow your water quality to imporve and filter to mature.

I do have a question about your tap water. Tap water changes by locations. Since you will be doing large water changes, tap water quality is important. Do you know or have you tested your tap water for pH swings? A simple test will show if you have stable water. Draw a sample of water (about a half gallon) and test the pH. Record that value. Place an airstone attached to an air pump in the sample of water and let it bubble for about 24 hours. Test the pH again. If the pH rises significantly, you have excess CO2 in your water and will require aging for healthy discus keeping.
    I have not done that to test my city water. I will do that tonight when I get home.

Good news though!!!!!!!!

My husband just called and he said they were all out eating, fins are up, sitll dark some of them, but he did feed them LOL. I told him to put in the prime and let the rest alone. I even suggested we put a blanket over the tank so to keep it as calm as possible. So moving them to the other tank may not be good right at this point, but we will keep an eye on them and use this as our last resort. (well our sunshine fish is the only one still sort of hovering, hope she will come around)... How do I post photos???

A BIG THANKS TO YOU ALL... MAN I FEEL BETTER ALREADY!!!!!!!! I HOPE they can pull through.....

Registered Member

okay.... so I shouldnt be to worried about that at this point, is that slime a disease?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    When did u add new fish exactly.. ?

we got them (the 4 news ones) from somethingphisy website on thursday march 14th, put them on our smaller tank for two days, then changed out our whole 90 gallon to substrate eco complete on Friday night then, added all fish back into our tank on Sat. They all did good the first two days, then crashed!..

Welcome to SD sunshine! You have got good advise already, clean water is the best medicine for all ailments. Keep the water changes going.

May I also suggest to read the stickes in the begginer section, they will help you better understand the best practices and what to avoid. Happy reading!
    Babar

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sunshine, discus have a heavy slime coat normally and when they get stressed they can shed it hence that greyish stuff you are seeing.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

The most important thing besides water changes is........... Don't panic!!!
    -Ismael

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    Welcome to SD sunshine! You have got good advise already, clean water is the best medicine for all ailments. Keep the water changes going.

May I also suggest to read the stickes in the begginer section, they will help you better understand the best practices and what to avoid. Happy reading!
    thank you...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Sunshine, discus have a heavy slime coat normally and when they get stressed they can shed it hence that greyish stuff you are seeing.
    Good!!! Hey I just posted some photos in my profile... if you all want to see my tank and babies..... ps.. I really love the colors you have on yours Second hand.. what are these one called?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by a volar View Post
    The most important thing besides water changes is........... Don't panic!!!

Feeling somewhat better.. thanks to you all....

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast