ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A new RT pairing.

Default Re: A new RT pairing.

Hi Keith,

I was very nice meeting you on Sunday and thanks for the beautiful fish, supplies, and food. Everyone is doing well and loving your beefheart. Fresh Madison water last night (I've gotta simplify the water change system), breakfast with beefheart, and brunch with freeze dried worms, yum. Off to find supplies to make a diy hook for the return water, as my hardwood floors didn't appreciate the hose falling out of the tank as I refilled it at midnight last night ; > )

Here are some pictures to remind you of what they look like;

Craig

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Thanks for the update, that is a pretty familiar looking sight. They sure do converge on Al's FDBW's. I made my return water hook out of PVC. A couple elbows and a shut off valve thrown in for good measure. It's nice to be able to control the flow sometimes, and really handy to quickly shut it off if you have to.
    President - North American Discus Association

Hi Keith,

I just returned from Menards with the ingredients to make a system similar to what you mentioned. On my drive, I was wondering, with our water, do I need to age the water for 24 hours, or just fill from the tap after adding Safe to the main tank? I'm not looking to cut corners at this early stage in the game, but if there is little if any difference in aging our water, then bye-bye 32 gallon drum.

Craig

Real Name
    CozyKeith

I honestly don't know. My routine is to age, aerate, and heat the water, and not use dechlorinator. The main purpose of aging is to avoid pH bounce, but you could test "our" water to see if it's necessary. I don't know what the exact measurement points are other than when it comes out of the tap and 24 hours later. Perhaps test it ever 8 hours. Less than a fluctuation of 1 and you can skip the aging.

Keith,

Thanks for the testing suggestions. For now, I'll keep aging and not cut corners. I haven't completely flooded the house yet, but trying to settle into a comfortable water change routine. A potable water hose connected to a 3000 gallon/hour pump flows faster than a smaller diameter python hose into the 29. ; > )

Regarding Al's FDBW's, what the heck is in it, testosterone, estrogen? I usually cut one cube in half and feed in two areas. After everyone has a few bites, it never fails that the two aggressive fish drive everyone away from the food. All is peaceful with the beef heart, but not Al's FDBW's.....gonna give two fish a big time out, our cut the cube into 15 tiny pieces.

Off to enjoy.
    p.s. any new fry?

Real Name
    CozyKeith

lol, you'd have to ask Al about what's in the FDBW's. They do love to tear those cubes up. I wouldn't worry about putting 2 fish in time out, they'd probably just be replaced by two more.

I've had eggs laid a few times, but the males are either too young or just not with the program. All in good time.

Ps - I love the avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    Keith,

Thanks for the testing suggestions. For now, I'll keep aging and not cut corners. I haven't completely flooded the house yet, but trying to settle into a comfortable water change routine. A potable water hose connected to a 3000 gallon/hour pump flows faster than a smaller diameter python hose into the 29. ; > )

Regarding Al's FDBW's, what the heck is in it, testosterone, estrogen? I usually cut one cube in half and feed in two areas. After everyone has a few bites, it never fails that the two aggressive fish drive everyone away from the food. All is peaceful with the beef heart, but not Al's FDBW's.....gonna give two fish a big time out, our cut the cube into 15 tiny pieces.

Off to enjoy.
    p.s. any new fry?

Just saw this post! (thanks Keith!). No secret ingredients there Craig, just good tasty worms that Discus apparently like as much as I Like Steak! You might want to try to feed one cube first, let the bullies have their way, then try another cube for the other...also helps to spread them out.. press one to the tank wall at each end of the tank.

best always!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hi Al,

Thank you for making those tasty worm available to us so our fish can go so nuts. I have been cutting a cube in half and putting it on each side, and will probably learn to quarter the cube. I've found that one or two aggressive fish just "sit" on the cube and grin back at the others (if a Discus can grin). I have to start saving my coins for a kilo of worms...

Keith,

I just wanted to drop in and thank you again for providing other's with very nice fish. I'm really enjoying growing out these Discus, and it wouldn't have been possible without breeders like you-thanks. I hope that I can provide close to the care that you provided. Hope to see the gang soon, since spring is kind of here.

Craig

Before (compared to the size of the FDBW's cube);

After;

Is it time to think about going bigger than the 29 gallon?

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Thanks Craig, the fish look like they're doing quite well. Glad to hear you're enjoying them, hope your daughter getting a little enjoyment out of them too. Mine seem to be eating more voraciously every day and are putting on nice growth as well.

I would guess your 29 will do for a while yet, but on the other hand Petco has a dollar a gallon sale going on now.

Registered Member

Looks nice.

Mark

Thanks guys,

I'm trying hard and having fun at the same time. Keith, I tried to take your advice regarding the $1/gallon sale, and ended up in Petco at Lake Geneva, yesterday. All out of fresh 55's, which I really don't need another anyway, as I could drain the dozen drainage ditch rescued Gold fish, clean, and add the Discus.... I think I'll partially fill the 72 bow front and be done with it.

Yes, my daughter and son are getting some enjoyment from the fish. For some reason, both kids thought the RT’s would remain brownish and kind of drab in color. Thus, they fondly referred to them as "fish poo Discus". I finally showed both a picture of the beautiful adults, to which both kids snapped, "Why didn't you tell us they looked like that"! Sheesh, teenagers. Daughter would rather do this; https://vimeo.com/91129849 O.K. with us, as it keeps her out of the mall and away from boys. ; > )

Off to feed the fish,

Craig

Real Name
    CozyKeith

The dog agility thing looks like it would keep a person fairly fit too. Looks like she's doing almost as much work as the dog is.

It shouldn't be too long before they forget their pet name for your discus, except of course when you remind them of it.

Hi Keith,

Thanks to your super Beefheart mix and Al's FDBW's, your discus now look like this at 4months +2 days of age (Happy Birthday);

They seem quite happy in their new 72g tank.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Indeed they do, well done.

Time for a fish update;

Still growing well and the colors are really starting to develop.

Thanks for the new hobby Keith and Bill!

Craig

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast