ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rams, Lots of babies.

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Default Rams, Lots of babies.

Have had a lot of activity in the fish room lately but it's not discus. I am having success with my rams. 3 tanks with ram fry. Tried to let the pairs raise fry just to enjoy the show. They would be great parents for a while and then the whole batch would be gone overnight.
    Decided to take the eggs out and raise some batches. Have 3 tanks with different spawns going now. May have fry in the near future.
    I have the pairs spawn on ceramic tiles that I made into a triangle. It is like a cave to them. When the pair is done I immediately remove the tile with the eggs on it and place it into a tank with methylene blue. R/O water and some Replenish to bring the TDS to about 50 and the eggs have had great hatch rate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Rams, Lots of babies.

Good luck. I have always enjoyed Rams. Every few years I will see some come though the local auction. I get them, raise some fry, and then sell everything off.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

I have been looking to buy some rams, would you be willing to ship? And when do you think they might be ready to sell? Thanks.

Real Name
    Tim Allen

I myself too have had some luck with the Blue German Rams. Took a while to get them to spawn and now first time and they are raising them like fantastic parents. The Male is doing 90% of the work and wont let the female too close. It must be the month for sucessful spawns My PE x RGA have 3 week old fry aprox 65 and my high body leopards have finally proven and have around 80+ 1 week old fry. As for the rams I love them and their attitude looking like well over the 100 fry in their too .
    70% of my Discus stock is from Rod Lewis Fishmania in Brisbane can't fault the Discus quality & health all from Jeffory @ FTZ amazing Discus.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

John they are a fun little fish with their fiesty attitudes and great looks. Don, the first batch is about 10 days old now. I will post when they are ready, I should be able to ship fish, I have all the supplies. Timmy it sounds like you are having great success right now. I hope it spreads to my discus. Are the seasons the same as in the USA. We are coming into spring now.
    Sorry for the grainy pic. It was an I phone pic.
    This batch of rams came from Turks rams last year. He has very nice stock. I got these shipped when they were pretty small but they grew nicely.
    Bill

I'll be interested in a school of them as well. They're cool little fish.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    David

I would be interested in a school too. We bought 4 males in January (from a reputable LFS) that didn't last through quarantine.
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Cool. I will get them up to an inch or so and then post when they are ready. I can grow them larger also. I raised these guys about -- years ago in college. It was hard to get females. All you usually found in the stores were males.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Bill, if you have enough I would not mind giving the rams a go. I really do like them.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Rams would look good in your wilds tank Pat. Why not add more to the already giant list of things you do and tank care of already, Lol.

Bill, do you feed right off BBS? My rams (10 pair) are in my community tank and want to pair them off as well in a 20 gal. Do yours not raise them at all or just occasionally?
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Pat I think I will have plenty. Just the first batch alone there has to be 150. Jeff I have one pair that will raise them for about 5 days and then gone. Right now I have 3 males in with a bunch of females in a 60 gallon. They spawn and I remove the eggs right when they are done. Once I get more than I want I'll let them try on their own again.
    They are too small for baby brine shrimp at first. I have some really small micron fry food. I also grind up some flake and granule food. I start BBS when they are large enough.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They would Jeff and have had them before
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I definitely would like a few. And I'm within driving distance. Lucky me....if you have extras.

Rams do great in discus conditions. I think that's why so many discus hobbyists are wildly successful with them. If you read non-discus cichlid sites, most people have terrible luck with them. Rams love the warm water and very low DOCs/nitrates. Sound familiar?

Wild rams are usually pretty good about parent raising. I've had the occasional tank-raised pair successfully raise fry but it usually takes them a while to get it right.

If you have nice, healthy young rams it shouldn't be too hard to find homes for them. They are always in demand. Post some pictures of the little ones when they get larger.

Real Name
    Tim Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    John they are a fun little fish with their fiesty attitudes and great looks. Don, the first batch is about 10 days old now. I will post when they are ready, I should be able to ship fish, I have all the supplies. Timmy it sounds like you are having great success right now. I hope it spreads to my discus. Are the seasons the same as in the USA. We are coming into spring now.
    Sorry for the grainy pic. It was an I phone pic.
    This batch of rams came from Turks rams last year. He has very nice stock. I got these shipped when they were pretty small but they grew nicely.
    Bill
    Bill the seasons are opposite here we have just came out of summer and now into autum. The rams do like pretty much the same as discus and the spawn was triggered by not touching the water for 4 weeks and set at 6.8 PH TDS 80 and then added 15ltrs of R/O and off they went.
    Thanks Timmy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Follow me on FaceBook Time Bomb Discus
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/213399702163350/
    Or all enquiries timebombdiscus@outlook.com.au

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast