AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rams, Lots of babies.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default Re: Rams, Lots of babies.

I loved raising Ram fry! Almost as easy as getting Platy's to bear, but the Rams didn't eat their young the way my Platy's did. LOL

I just plopped them into a dedicated tank (my former discus juvie tank) with sand substrate, driftwood, plenty of little dwarf swords, a couple of flat rocks and let them hang out and do their thing. 2 pairs in the tank and they each had their own territory.

Hmmmm, I sorta miss those Rams, maybe I should get me some more?
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Registered Member

Just checking in to see how the fry are doing?

When we get rams here, they're horrid, and the one LFS that carries them doesn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground, so I wouldn't buy a can of fish food from them.

I would be interested in a few as well. If you would please PM me and let me know shipping charges and costs, I would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Rams with eggs, regular Chicago municipal water. Any guess about hatch rate and steps to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by Allwin View Post
    Rams with eggs, regular Chicago municipal water. Any guess about hatch rate and steps to follow?
    If they are tank-bred rams you shouldn't have a problem with hatch rate due to water. Wild ones may be a bit more demanding but all my domestic rams spawned and hatched eggs in hard water (200ppm+) with a pH in the high 7s.

The trick is getting a pair that won't eat the wrigglers. If you really want to raise them, you may set up a small tank and siphon the wrigglers away from the parents. The fry will be tiny but they should take newly hatched BBS as soon as they go free-swimming. Then it's just like any other cichlid fry -- very clean water (daily water changes with matching water parameters) and multiple BBS feedings a day until they are large enough to start taking crushed flake/pellet or shaved frozen foods.

Sure Ryan,its domestic. thanks for the tips.. will keep things updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    If they are tank-bred rams you shouldn't have a problem with hatch rate due to water. Wild ones may be a bit more demanding but all my domestic rams spawned and hatched eggs in hard water (200ppm+) with a pH in the high 7s.

The trick is getting a pair that won't eat the wrigglers. If you really want to raise them, you may set up a small tank and siphon the wrigglers away from the parents. The fry will be tiny but they should take newly hatched BBS as soon as they go free-swimming. Then it's just like any other cichlid fry -- very clean water (daily water changes with matching water parameters) and multiple BBS feedings a day until they are large enough to start taking crushed flake/pellet or shaved frozen foods.

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

The ram fry are doing great. The first group are 1/2 inch or so and are starting to act more like rams instead of fry. There are approx 75, the second group are about a week behind the first and approx 150+. I will start PMs to those that have expressed interest soon and they will be ready in a short time. I would like to get them to about 3/4 inch before shipping. I will be asking $3.00 when they reach 3/4 inch plus shipping.
    Bill
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

That's good news, Bill. We're just waiting on the word from you to send in our orders!

Hey bill, I'm in driving distance and would like some too
    Bill

If your getting them Don please let me know. I would like 20 or so if they can be shipped together. Thx Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    If your getting them Don please let me know. I would like 20 or so if they can be shipped together. Thx Ed
    Sounds good, Ed, I'll let you know.

First group ready next week. I will send a group to Don in Virginia. Make sure they do well in shipping and then make the rest available.

PM sent. I'm within driving distance.

40+ rams arrived at my home yesterday, Thursday. THANK YOU, Bill, great job packing up those babies. Not one leak!

I wasn't at home when the box arrived, and I'm very glad you were monitoring the shipment and called me to tell me they didn't leave the box on the front porch. I called my wife to drive home and read the note they left on the door. She followed up, and they delivered the box at about 1:30pm! Great service! She unpacked the box, floated the 4 bags in the QT aquarium for 20 minutes, then poured the fish into a net and transfered the fry into the aquarium. So, we've got 40 new ram fry enjoying the water in Fairfax, hah!

I've taken some of Al's FDBWs and ground them up in an old coffed grinder, soaked them briefly in water, and poured them in the tank. RAM FRY LOVE AL'S FDBWs! lol lol. They're also getting regular flake. Thanks again, Bill, they look great!

So glad they arrived happy and healthy. They will grow into some beautiful adults. Thanks Don. Bill

I am in awe at how much those cute little rams can manage to stuff in thier mouths compared to discus babies of the same size. Fiesty little buggers. They seem to eat anything I throw into the tank. TY Don, TY Bill. Don,, the reflection D pair produced 200 plus wigglers on thier first try. Guess they will get the honeymoon suite(29 Gallon)soon.
    "There was no spoon"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast