ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dicrossus foirni, a recently-described checkerboard cichlid from Brazil

Registered Member

Default Re: Dicrossus foirni, a recently-described checkerboard cichlid from Brazil

Very nice Ryan. They tend to remind me of Krib's a little

Default Re: Dicrossus foirni, a recently-described checkerboard cichlid from Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Very nice Ryan. They tend to remind me of Krib's a little
    West African cichlids do have that dwarf SA cichlid look, which is probably why I like the West African cichlids so much. Kribs are a long-time favorite. I've also kept a few pairs of Enigmatochromis lucanusi -- you can't beat the colors on the female. Bright purple/maroon body with an iridescent teal stripe through the dorsal.

There's a lot of discussion (it's bickering really) about whether Dicrossus sex is influenced by pH or temperature, and whether it can change all the way up until sexual maturity or whether they're born one gender or another. Rumor is that Dicrossus are often heavy on one sex or the other, even in wild groups. It appears my last group was male-heavy. Hopefully this wild group is a bit more balanced.

As you can see from the video, the "females" tend to be much smaller than males with clear, stubby fins. The problem is that sneaker males will show this for months, then suddenly one day sprout pretty long fins and reveal themselves to be male. I don't think they're actually changing sex, I think it just takes time for the sexual dimorphism to show and some mature faster than others.

Well, after an unexplained death on the first night, I talked to Mark and decided to get a few more. I now have 10 of them. It looks pretty male-heavy but there's really nothing Mark or I can do about that. Let's just hope a few of those tinier ones are girls.

The second batch showed up on Friday afternoon and this is a video from Monday night. It didn't take them long to settle in and make themselves comfortable. They REALLY love newly hatched brine. Here's a video of them eating -- notice the funny little head-bopping motion of them all trying to eat brine as fast as they can.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Nice Ryan, they are nailing that BBS. Should hope you have some females in this group.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

that's something. I like the way they are attacking that BBS

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    that's something. I like the way they are attacking that BBS
    They are not shy! I hear a lot about Dicrossus being shy and retiring species that need a lot of cover to feel secure, but I have ten of these in a 55 all alone and they are right up at the top waiting on food when they see me walk in. The F1 group I had was the same way and I assumed they were more outgoing because they were tank-raised, but this wild group is just as curious and friendly. As long as I supply the brine, they're out and about ready for a meal.

They're also eating tiny pellets and shaved frozen bloodworms, but BBS seems to be their favorite.

Hey Ryan did u ever get any females on this fish?
    -- Arthur Dominguez --

Unfortunately, no. I’ve spoken to several other hobbyists who bought groups and they ended up with all males as well. I’m not sure why.

The reason I as is because I have a group I purchased last year at a very small size and I definitely have a couple femas just because the size of the mail and appearance. Today I put some outside to see what they do or if survived.lol
    -- Arthur Dominguez --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12