AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For the chef

Default For the chef

Please talk about food. I'll get us started.....Whenever anything tomato based lacks fullness of flavor, toss in few canned anchovies. You won't taste them in the finished sauce. They just round out the flavor.

NEXT...........?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default For the chef

Thanks Liz this could be alot of fun!
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Default Re: For the chef

For you lamb lovers - Here's a simple, easy & quick, sure-fire very flavorful marinade for grilled lamb racks, lamb rib, or loin, chops that adds a zesty flavor base to the meat every time:
    - 1/3 cup each of e.v. olive oil and soy sauce
    - 1 lge tbsp of Keen's hot mustard
    - 1 small finely diced shallot & 2 or 3 finely diced garlic cloves
    - 1 tspn each of rosemary, thyme & summer savory (oregano too if you like that)
    - 1 tspn each of kosher or sea salt, & freshly ground black pepper

Mix the ingredients well & place the marinade with the lamb in a zip-lock bag, and marinate (turning every so often) in the fridge for 2-3 hours or more - half a day is real good, or preferably, overnite.

Remove excess marinade from the lamb & grill on your BBQ to required doneness - Delicious !
    Last edited by discuspaul; 03-26-2013 at 04:02 PM.

This could be a good thread for sure.

I would share my families (Italian) marinara sauce of 4 generations but my great grandmother would probably haunt me for life if I did.

I do have lots of BBQ recipes though.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

This one came from my own head. I only eat once a day, so when I eat I AM HUNGRY. It might not be as good as I think as I sit here pigging out on it. Serves one hungry person.

Wash and dry 1/2+ lbs chicken livers.
    Chop a medium onion
    smash then mince 1 large or 2 smaller cloves of garlic
    Put butter in the pan over medium high heat
    once it's melted toss in the onion then after a minute or two put in the garlic and cook for another minute.
    Then sprinkle in salt and ground thyme and toss in three good glugs of red wine.
    Throw in your livers and cook until they are not quite done (you want a pink middle)
    remove the livers to a warmed plate and stick them in the oven set to the lowest setting to keep warm
    Cream a bit of butter with flour and put it the pan. Cook to the desired consistency. If it gets too thick on you give it a glug or two if chicken broth.
    Add the livers and juices back to the pan just long enough to marry the flavors and make the temperature of everything the same.

Add more salt if it needs it and serve over rice. This will stick to your ribs for sure.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

head of caulflower in a bowl with a can of chicken or beef broth, cover and microwave on high for seven minutes
    mix 1/2 and 1/2 mustard and mayonaise (you can add some horse radish for a little kick)
    Grate cheese of your choice.

When cauliflower is steamed slather with mustard/mayo mix and then pack the shredded cheese into it
    Cover and put back in microwave long enough to melt cheese.

Cut and serve as a side dish.

Dave
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Sounds easy and good. I don't always have horseradish on hand but I do ATM 'cause I made a corned beef not long ago. I'll buy a small head and have it for dinner tomorrow and let you know what I think. I need to decide on what cheese to use. My "go to" cheese is extra sharp aged cheddar, but with my spicy mustard AND horseradish, I think I should go with something much milder.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Sounds easy and good. I don't always have horseradish on hand but I do ATM 'cause I made a corned beef not long ago. I'll buy a small head and have it for dinner tomorrow and let you know what I think. I need to decide on what cheese to use. My "go to" cheese is extra sharp aged cheddar, but with my spicy mustard AND horseradish, I think I should go with something much milder.
    we use mild chedar, monterey jack, motzerella or a mixture of any two or all three.

Dave
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

I was thinking mozzarella.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    head of caulflower in a bowl with a can of chicken or beef broth, cover and microwave on high for seven minutes
    mix 1/2 and 1/2 mustard and mayonaise (you can add some horse radish for a little kick)
    Grate cheese of your choice.

When cauliflower is steamed slather with mustard/mayo mix and then pack the shredded cheese into it
    Cover and put back in microwave long enough to melt cheese.

Cut and serve as a side dish.

Dave
    I told you I'd get back to you about it. I'm afraid I didn't like it. Perhaps I did something wrong, or perhaps I shouldn't have eaten it as my entire meal. Sorry...Who knows, may be my chicken liver concoction sucked, too and I didn't know it because I was so hungry..
    Mama Bear

[IMG][/IMG]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

LMFAO That's awesome. I guess back in the day our Marriott property got in French fries or chicken nuggets in the shape of letters and there was a rule no bad words could be sent out.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Here's my favorite simple trick for making FAST and fancy chicken when guests show up unexpectedly.

4 Chicken Breasts
    2 Tbsp. Mayo
    2 Tbsp. Mustard (any kind you have will do!)
    1 Tbsp. Dried Minced Onion
    1 tsp. Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb mix

Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the Mayo, Mustard and spices in a small bowl. Slather it over the chicken breasts, then roll them in one of the following:

Crushed Ritz Crackers
    Crushed leftover Stuffing Mix from last Thanksgiving
    Crushed Veggie Chips
    Any other item you can think of to Crush up!

Place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes.

While the chicken is cooking, grab a handful of uncooked spaghetti noodles. You can use any long thin noodle you have handy. Break the noodles into 1 inch pieces. Don't fuss over them, just break them up and move on to the next step.

In a large saucepot, melt 2 tbsp. butter till it starts to sizzle. Dump in 1 cup of raw rice and the broken noodle bits. Cook and stir just till the noodles start to turn golden brown and the rice looks translucent.

Remove from the heat and add 2 cans of chicken broth, 1 chopped onion, chopped celery if you like it, a handful of chopped mushrooms...and well, most anything you have that goes well with rice! I've used sun dried tomatoes, fresh spinach, broccoli and once I tossed in shredded carrots and some raisins in order to imitate a Russian dish called Plove. LOL

Put the pot back on the stove, turn up the heat and bring to a rolling boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes without peeking.

Heap the rice onto a platter, top it with the chicken and serve it with a crispy green salad.

It's a 30 minute meal that tastes like you slaved over it all afternoon.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Oh my, I'm in trouble. I love rice dicks. I'll be making Jambalaya tomorrow. Maybe it's OK since I just cook. I don't chef. Besides, I'm not ready to terminate myself quite yet.
    Mama Bear

Sounds good, Toni - I'll have to try that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast