AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For the chef

Default Re: For the chef

Quote Originally Posted by Trier20 View Post
    lmao not a problem. This was your thread! hahah I doubt you'd be intimidated. We all could drink a couple bottles of wine and then cook. It'd be the best meal ever bc we'd be so pissed up we'd never know if it wasn't good.
    Sounds like I'd get over the intimidation factor in short order (no pun intended) if wine or beer were involved. Shame that Paul lives in BC, you live in Iowa, and I'm a Mississippi girl.

Paul, How long is too long to marinate the lamb chops? If I put it in the bag tomorrow before bed and cook it at 4 the next afternoon is that too much time in the marinade? And for 1" thick lamb chops, how long in the oven for medium rare to medium? What temp? 350? And do I set it on the broiler pan or on a rack, or what? Ignorant people need to be told these things (blush).
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Sounds like I'd get over the intimidation factor in short order (no pun intended) if wine or beer were involved. Shame that Paul lives in BC, you live in Iowa, and I'm a Mississippi girl.

Paul, How long is too long to marinate the lamb chops? If I put it in the bag tomorrow before bed and cook it at 4 the next afternoon is that too much time in the marinade? And for 1" thick lamb chops, how long in the oven for medium rare to medium? What temp? 350? And do I set it on the broiler pan or on a rack, or what? Ignorant people need to be told these things (blush).
    Many people marinate lamb overnite, particularly if it's a full rack - not cut into chops.
    But I think rib or loin chops don't really need that long - half a day would be A-OK - so your plan, bedtime till early next afternoon is good - but even 3-4 hours would be fine.

Line an oven-proof metal baking pan with alum. foil (no mess to clean up afterwards) - then place a metal rack in it (you know - a cake or pie metal cooling rack), and put the chops on top of the rack, so you get some air & heat circulation under the meat.
    If you wish, you could quickly sear/brown the chops on both sides on the stovetop @ med/high heat, then place on your rack in the oven for say, about 8- 10 minutes @ pre-heated 350 or 375, turning once half-way through (4-5 minutes per side). That should produce med- med-rare.
    I prefer to just place the ribs as is on the rack/pan, (no pre-searing) at a low level in your oven - about 10-12 inches below the top element. Turn on the broiler and roast - or is it 'broast' -lol - for approx. 6-7 minutes or so each side. That should brown them nicely and they should still be in the med-rarish range. You may have to experiment a bit, e.g. cut into one rib near the end of the time I mentioned, to see how the meat is coloring up. Ovens are not all the same as you know - some cook hotter than the temp indicates, some less than others.
    And btw - if you decide to broil - put the oven fan on & maybe open a window.
    My smoke alarm near the stove is very sensitive, and the least bit of smoke sets if off -LOL (and you will likely get a bit of smoke if you broil).

Have a great meal - Enjoy !

P.S. - Liz, it would probably be simpler and easier for you to just pan-fry them in a skillet on stove-top @ med-high heat for 4-5 minutes each side, using a little oil & butter. Less work & less mess to clean up - and they would taste just as good.
    And be sure to scape off the excess marinade before placing them in skillet or oven.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 04-02-2013 at 07:47 PM.

I will do it in the oven. It sounds like it will taste better. I want to lock the juices in by searing it first. I'd LOVE to try Brandon's thing with the asparagus and that butter wine sauce. I think I will succeed with the Lamb. Thanks for the guidance. I'm worried about the asparagus and the sauce for the lamb. But WTH, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I love this thread.
    Mama Bear

Sounds good - I'm sure you'll do it well.
    And knowing how straight-forward you are - you'll tell us honestly how well, or not, that you liked it ! LOL

OMG. It was too good for words. The lamb chops themselves were fabulous, but the asparagus cooked in the wine and the buerre rouge over the lamb just made the dish. What a beautiful blending of flavors. Thank you so much, gentlemen.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    OMG. It was too good for words. The lamb chops themselves were fabulous, but the asparagus cooked in the wine and the buerre rouge over the lamb just made the dish. What a beautiful blending of flavors. Thank you so much, gentlemen.
    That cookin technique of the asparagus and reducing the wine to make a sauce is one of my favorite things to do when I cook at home. Works well with beef tenderloin too
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Liz, I'm real happy you liked the lamb and it's sauce-

And Brandon - I've never cooked asparagus in a reducing wine sauce - but it sounds great - my wife thought so too, so we're definitely going to try it soon. And I'll bet it works well with beef filet too, as you said !

And speaking of beef, my 'next instalment' will be a recipe for a real traditional, but also 'zingy', Pepper Steak - 'Steak au Poivre' - from a more than 150 year old French (Parisien) recipe that my grandmother had a hand in developing. (she lived to be 100, passed away in the 1970's, and - she could really cook !)
    (I'm still using her all meat dressing for roast turkey dinner - the recipe for which she reluctantly gave me after I asked her at least a dozen times !)

The Steak au Poivre recipe is another simple, easy recipe with just a very few ingredients, that I hope many of you will love.
    - Coming up soon on a forum site near you - lol - sure hope you don't mind that it's on your forum site, Brandon.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Liz, I'm real happy you liked the lamb and it's sauce-

And Brandon - I've never cooked asparagus in a reducing wine sauce - but it sounds great - my wife thought so too, so we're definitely going to try it soon. And I'll bet it works well with beef filet too, as you said !

And speaking of beef, my 'next instalment' will be a recipe for a real traditional, but also 'zingy', Pepper Steak - 'Steak au Poivre' - from a more than 150 year old French (Parisien) recipe that my grandmother had a hand in developing. (she lived to be 100, passed away in the 1970's, and - she could really cook !)
    (I'm still using her all meat dressing for roast turkey dinner - the recipe for which she reluctantly gave me after I asked her at least a dozen times !)

The Steak au Poivre recipe is another simple, easy recipe with just a very few ingredients, that I hope many of you will love.
    - Coming up soon on a forum site near you - lol - sure hope you don't mind that it's on your forum site, Brandon.
    Paul no problem man. Liz started the thread and I'm pretty laid back. As long as we are talking about something that sounds good it's all gravy.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

For those of you viewers who may have taken an interest in this thread, and have not seen, or been aware of, the one I'm going to mention next, may I refer you to Toni's (Strawberry Blonde) thread of a few months ago, in which a large batch of excellent recipes were posted by a good number of sd members on her Homesteader site : 'Life Off Interstate 84'.

I suspect that many of us contributors to that thread may, at the time, have lost a little interest in it after a while, and I think that Toni's daily time constraints, along with the waning interest by members, may have caused a stoppage in the continuation of the thread.

Nonetheless, it was an excellent thread, I feel, with many mouth-watering recipes that some of you may want to have a look at. My recipe for Steak Au Poivre, which I mentioned earlier I would post here, is among the recipes in one of the below-mentioned 3 threads in Toni's homesteader site - "Life Off Interstate 84". (So, I won't repeat it here.)
    As are many of Brandon's great recipes, and a good number of super recipes contributed by others.

See the Sticky there: 'September recipes'.
    Also the threads: - 'The Recipe Thread - Let's Get Cooking'; and 'October- Got any good recipes to Share'.

Hope you don't mind my reviving it a bit, Toni.

Cool! I didn't know. I'll go take a look.
    Mama Bear

Here is one I made up for a hunting forum I belong to.

Snipe Breast Mediterranean

*12 aged Snipe Breast, boned
    6 slices Thick Bacon, one slice for two breast
    ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
    ¼ cup low salt Soy Sauce
    1 clove minced Garlic
    1/3 cup Brown Sugar
    ½ teaspoon Ginger
    ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    ½ teaspoon salt ( leave out if using regular soy salt)

Bone the breast
    Mix all ingredients
    Add breast to mixture marinade for at least 4 hours

Par cook the bacon to ½ done
    Wrap one breast in ½ strip bacon using toothpicks to hold together.

Grill or Broil until bacon is done and breast are med rare / med.

Serve with cold beer!
    * I age the whole birds in the refrigerator for at least 4-7 days. I have gone as long as 9 days.
    # Note: If you do not use aged breast then add 2 cups 7UP and marinade for 12-24 hours.
    @ This may also be cooked by sautéing in skillet.
    Dick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dick - It sounds good. I imagine your recipe would work just as well with some other game birds, e.g. grouse, pheasant, prairie chicken, perhaps even duck, and the like ?

It would be good with any dark meat bird that is eaten med rare or cook longer with quail and other white meat birds.
    Dick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sounds good - I'll try it with duck breast for sure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast