AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: K1 media reactor question

Default K1 media reactor question

I am just wondering if anyone is running there K1 in a media reactor such as those used for carbon, GFO, or bio pellets? Does K1 have to be churned with the use of an airstone? If so why? and why is it not the same effect as being churned in a media reactor by the flow of a pump? I appologize if this has been covered in depth before. I have never used K1 but have always wanted to give it a try. To me the theory behind it is that as long as it is moving in water it is working with its intended use. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Default K1 media reactor question

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor W View Post
    I am just wondering if anyone is running there K1 in a media reactor such as those used for carbon, GFO, or bio pellets? Does K1 have to be churned with the use of an airstone? If so why? and why is it not the same effect as being churned in a media reactor by the flow of a pump? I appologize if this has been covered in depth before. I have never used K1 but have always wanted to give it a try. To me the theory behind it is that as long as it is moving in water it is working with its intended use. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Trevor,

I don't believe they need to be moved by air, it's just that air is what is typically used. I experimented with a canister bead filter, an Ultima II pond bead filter which is basically filled with a k1 type media to use in my fish room when i set it up. I had a very difficult time balancing the flow rates and decided to remove it before I blew up the pump or flooded the house. There needs to be oxygen in the water of course for the microbes to work and grow on the media but they don't need to be moved by air. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364517565.760497.jpg

Search for the k1 manufacture they have a good video on there site explaining how there media works as well if I remember

Good luck
    Andrew

Default Re: K1 media reactor question

Thanks for the reply Andrew! Yes of course all of my tanks have a source of oxygen in some form or another. I just wasn't sure if people used the air driven techniques for any other reason other than it being obviously on hand and cheap to run. I am in the process of setting up a 100 Gallon biotope style tank and just tossing around some ideas.

Registered Member

Hi Trevor, I've just started the process of maturing my 50 litres of K1 inside my sump with Poret foam sheets as dividers.
    I thought of experimenting with a couple of tunze 6025 power heads to fluidize the media as the air pump was far too loud.
    It seems to be working although there is a slight build up of k1 media around the power heads which is manageable so far. I'm intending to add two more power heads soon.
    In terms of oxygen, the turbulence caused by the power heads and the volume of water draining straight into the k1 chamber from the two drain pipes appears to provide some amount of oxygen in my view. I have also installed a large oxydator unit which is a german made device producing loads of pure oxygen from a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide. It hasn't got any moving parts and appears to be safe. You can google it if you like.
    So, I know you don't have a sump but my point is, air pumps are not necessary for this media to work effectively. The main thing is to provide enough agitation to fluidize the k1. It has been explained to me that this type of media uses a lot of oxygen so if you are not providing additional source of oxygen then the existing O2 levels in the tank could be depleted by the k1. So extra oxygen seems to be necessary in one form or another.
    I hope that's helpful.

Registered Member Inland Empire Discus's Avatar

It can be used as a moving bed,static, or in a canister filter. It will work in almost any capacity just with different types of bacteria depending on how you use it.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by tolga View Post
    Hi Trevor, I've just started the process of maturing my 50 litres of K1 inside my sump with Poret foam sheets as dividers.
    I thought of experimenting with a couple of tunze 6025 power heads to fluidize the media as the air pump was far too loud.
    It seems to be working although there is a slight build up of k1 media around the power heads which is manageable so far. I'm intending to add two more power heads soon.
    In terms of oxygen, the turbulence caused by the power heads and the volume of water draining straight into the k1 chamber from the two drain pipes appears to provide some amount of oxygen in my view. I have also installed a large oxydator unit which is a german made device producing loads of pure oxygen from a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide. It hasn't got any moving parts and appears to be safe. You can google it if you like.
    So, I know you don't have a sump but my point is, air pumps are not necessary for this media to work effectively. The main thing is to provide enough agitation to fluidize the k1. It has been explained to me that this type of media uses a lot of oxygen so if you are not providing additional source of oxygen then the existing O2 levels in the tank could be depleted by the k1. So extra oxygen seems to be necessary in one form or another.
    I hope that's helpful.

Wow that is very interesting Thank you for the reply! I always appreciate people trying new methods. Please share some pictures if you want I would love to see them. I can imagine that the tunze powerheads would collect K1 around the cage surounding the impeller but I would also consider it managable. I do infact actually have a sump I have a 100Gallon (48"L x 24"W x 20H) display tank with roughly a 50 Gallon sump underneath. I was looking at possibly using a media reactor like a nextreef mr1 or a vertex or TLF phosban reactor. The only reason would be aethetics and more controllable flow and just simply keeping the K1 contained to a nice cylinder that is removeable ect ect.... most media reactors like the TLF you can simply run off a maxi jet 1200 or whatever small pump and with ball valve you can dial in the flow without harming the pump within reason of course. I plumbed my tank with a herbie style drain and a single output line. I didnt want to plumb any reactors off of the return pump so that is why I would have a media reator running off of its own pump. I will also have a single large airstone in the sump itself to add oxygen even though my sump does actually add alot of oxygen to the tank through the water falling and breaking the surface .

Quote Originally Posted by Inland Empire Discus View Post
    It can be used as a moving bed,static, or in a canister filter. It will work in almost any capacity just with different types of bacteria depending on how you use it.
    Thank you for the info Bill I really appreciate it!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

The only thing I would be worried about is K1 is an oxygen hog just make sure that the oxygen levels in your aquarium are ok.......Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Yes I have read many times how K1 can deplete oxygen levels quite quickly, that is one major reason why I will also be running air in the sump. Now to find someone in my area to split some K1 media with. I have a feeling I am going to be S.O.L and will more than likely be spending alot more than I want to and having alot of extra K1 laying around.

Registered Member

photo (4).JPGphoto (5).JPGphoto (6).JPG
    Hi Trevor, I am attempting to post my pictures. This is something I have not done before so I'm not sure if its going to work. As you can see from the photographs, the k1 is still maturing and it needs at least another week if not more. I also need to complete my sump by tidying up the cables and finishing the panelling around the stand. Today, I am planning to lay down the extra long RO pipe around the living room skirting boards to start my drip feed system and hopefully test it. So there you are. I actually like these little white things. At the beginning, they were trying to commit suicide to the amazement of my partner by jumping out of the sump. I have since covered that section with an acrylic sheet I have managed to cut to the exact size with holes for the pipes to go through. Somebody even suggested to not cover the sump with panels completely and to have a clear acrylic window in one of the doors for people to see and appreciate the k1.
    Good luck with your design.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor W View Post
    Yes I have read many times how K1 can deplete oxygen levels quite quickly, that is one major reason why I will also be running air in the sump. Now to find someone in my area to split some K1 media with. I have a feeling I am going to be S.O.L and will more than likely be spending alot more than I want to and having alot of extra K1 laying around.
    I sell K1 in the gallon size for $30 free shipping if that helps
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Thanks that does help quite a bit, so does that offer still apply for us Canadians?