ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Constant drip water change system

Default Re: Constant drip water change system

I don't know. Your constant drip plan is the simplest plan, so I'd just give it a try and see if it works. Might want to test it out with cheaper & hardier fish than Discus first.

I've got a drip system running for the past 3 years. I have 20 tanks and all on the drip system. I am on well water so chlorine or chloramine issues. I've raised quite a few batches of discus with this system with no issues.
    Your best bet to remove ammonia and chloramine is an in line sediment and carbon block filter.

Moon,
    I'm not surprised that it works, but it seems like it would be a lot of cold water to heat, especially in Canada. Has that been a problem, or have you figured out a solution? You obviously use a lot of water with 20 tanks.

I've looked at the breeding setups that the Malaysians have, and figured that they have the advantage of being in a warm climate.

Registered Member Octavio Salles's Avatar

I gave some some more thought to it and I think I definetly need to add a carbon filter and bio filter in line, before the new water enters the HOB filter and the aquarium. I think the carbon will remove some nasties off the water, and some of the chloramine, while the bio media will help reduce the ammonia before it enters the tank. However, the flow of water will likely be quite small for these filters to work properly. I did some testing here and what I really need is only a thin strip of water, just over dripping... to be exact 6.25 L an hour (1.65 gallon an hour).

How can I place these filters before the new water reaches the tank? Because of the small volume of water, I suppose it needs to work with gravity... meaning the filters will have to be above the tank.
    www.octaviosalles.com.br - Wildlife Photography and Travel

Registered Member

I run a drip system and feel it works great for me. It sounds like a great system for you. I agree with the concerns about the expense of heating the cold water with an electric tank heater. I run hot water from my natural gas hot water heater into a plastic storage drum with an airstone running. I use a float valve to maintain the water level in the drum. I gravity feed it from there into my tanks using 3/16" valves to adjust flow from Jehmco (AWV1BB). I have a little concern that I may be cycling my hot water heater on a bit more. Also, if you have a sump pump make sure it is reliable!

The plastic tank with air may help with the chlorine as well.

A half dozen small bushynoses keep the glass pretty clean and do a good job with uneaten food. As you are gone a lot, I would use automatic feeders and set the feed on the light side. I don't see any problems with this method when I travel. My water parameters stay at zero (or at least non detectable) for trips in excess of a week.

Hope this helps,
    Don

Octavio, the carbon filter that Moon speaks of would be placed in line with the house water before it goes into the HOB filter you show. Not the type of carbon we can add in the filters.. This is one of those canister types where you install block cartridge inside.. Hope this helps.
    Jorge Q

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAngels View Post
    Octavio, the carbon filter that Moon speaks of would be placed in line with the house water before it goes into the HOB filter you show. Not the type of carbon we can add in the filters.. This is one of those canister types where you install block cartridge inside.. Hope this helps.
    Yes it helps... something like this, sorry for my poor sketch ability

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Moon,
    I'm not surprised that it works, but it seems like it would be a lot of cold water to heat, especially in Canada. Has that been a problem, or have you figured out a solution? You obviously use a lot of water with 20 tanks.

I've looked at the breeding setups that the Malaysians have, and figured that they have the advantage of being in a warm climate.
    I use a shower mix valve to mix hot and cold water. The drip water comes out at 82F. I don't pay for city water and that helps.

Just an update, I have made a much more detailed drawing of the project:

The filtering will be with two HOB filters, a larger one with mechanical, peat (maybe) and biological and a smaller one on the side only filled with ceramic rings for extra biological filtration. Both filters will have sponges on the intake for easier cleaning.

Lightning will be with a DIY project, a "floating" platform for LED spot lamps, hanging off the ceiling with steel cables. Since I won't have plants I don't need to worry with a lot of light. In fact I want to create a darker atmosphere, and for that a dimmer will help achieve the desired results too. Ps.: I have only drawed part of the ceiling for ease of visualization.

The back of the tank, seen through the wall. The new water will first pass through a carbon block filter rated for 8k liters (2 months), but I may get a bigger one. This should hopefully get rid of most of the chloramine, if not I will use an automated drop system of Prime. The new water then goes to the ceramic rings filter to remove the small amount of ammonia resulting from the removal of chloramine. There will be a valve there to control the water dropping. On the side of the tank there's a simple external overflow box and a tube that takes away the old water.

Detail of the light controls. There will be 8 LEDs. Each group of 4 LEDs will be activated by a digital timer (larger white box) and its intensity controlled by a normal dimmer. Not sure if this scheme works, any ideas? The dimmer will obviously be controlled manually to my liking.
    Last edited by Octavio Salles; 04-15-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Don't forget some type of top on the tank. You will get a jumper some day. The open top concept looks fantastic but you may loose fish and it is always your most favorite.
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

Yeah I might use some fine netting or light weight acrylic to cover it. It really depends on what I'm going to use for decorations though. I might go for a large stump sticking out of the water, then I might have to adapt something.

I have read that you don't really need to heat the water in a drip system due to small amount of water being added. I think this makes sense and if your heater is properly sized, the heater will take care of heating the new water.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member

Hi Octavio, I think the easiest way would be dripping prime. The second way would be more carbon blocks before the main filter. I sent pm.

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    I have read that you don't really need to heat the water in a drip system due to small amount of water being added. I think this makes sense and if your heater is properly sized, the heater will take care of heating the new water.
    I don't worry about it. Our winters are quite mild and I'm sure a good thermostat inside the tank will take care of keeping the water a constant 28º C (82º F).

Quote Originally Posted by heckel90 View Post
    Hi Octavio, I think the easiest way would be dripping prime. The second way would be more carbon blocks before the main filter. I sent pm.
    Thanks Martin. I do plan on using a twice as big carbon block filter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast