AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish advice

Default Fish advice

My friend is offering me 2 Discus around 7 cm (his cousin just bought them and he is not willing to take care of them, he have other fish too). What do you think of them? сhould I get them or they are not good? I will keep them in BB tank and maybe I'll add one or two more.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English.

Registered Member

Default Re: Fish advice

I'm no expert but I like the color and pattern of that first fish. What type/strain is that?
    I have no idea whats going on. Towlie

Quote Originally Posted by kimbo View Post
    I'm no expert but I like the color and pattern of that first fish. What type/strain is that?
    They told me that the first one is Red Turquoise and the 2nd is Blood Pigeon, I would like to know what experience Discus keepers will tell.

The eye to body ratio is off. Apart from that they look good. This first is a turq cross and the second is PB.

You could do worse for sure. Wouldn't be a bad pickup for free. Just make sure to quarantine.
    - Dan

Thanks Moon, is the eye to body ratio that bad on those two samples? Any other "anomalies", shape etc?

edit: thanks Dan

The eye to body ratio shows that they havent been cared for,the eye too large for the body at that size.The pb's body is starting to look a little like a football,another sign that it wasnt cared for.That being said,if for free,they dont look that bad,great starter discus,and if you feed them well and do plenty of water changes,they should grow up to be some ok looking fish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill63SG View Post
    The eye to body ratio shows that they havent been cared for,the eye too large for the body at that size.The pb's body is starting to look a little like a football,another sign that it wasnt cared for.That being said,if for free,they dont look that bad,great starter discus,and if you feed them well and do plenty of water changes,they should grow up to be some ok looking fish.
    +1
    go for it

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    SANDY

thanks Bill and Sandy

One more question. Should I go with only those two for start or its better to get one or two more, its 50 gallon tank. Maximum number of fishes (5)?

Registered Member

I love the fact that the PB does not show any peppering! Discus do better in a bigger group. But then another level of complication is added... mixing discus from different sources.. some dont recommend it, some say go for it.
    ~Ashish
    http://ashtricusdiscus.blogspot.com/

Thanks @ashtricks

OK you convinced me . BTW I just saw the fishes and the PB is always chasing the Red Turq, he barely can eat, any advice (maybe to add one more)? I just checked what peppering mean, when peppering start to show, age, size? The PB is around 8-9 cm the Red Turq is 9-10 cm.

If I decide to add one or two more does they have to be more or less the same size or the bigger will not be a problem

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

The RT is the better of the two. The PB is a low quality fish. Neither are in bad shape or great shape. If you want to keep discus remember that they will do better in groups of 6 or more, so if you get 2 for free you will still have better luck if you add 4 more.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

my previous comment is not posted, here it is again

Thanks @ashtricks and @Jhon

Today I checked the fishes, the PB is chasing the Red Turq whole the time, he can barely eat, the PB is 8-9 cm while the Red Turq is 9-10, will adding 1 or 2 more change this behavior? If I add more fish do they have to be more or less the same size or adding bigger samples will not be a problem? I just checked what peppering mean, is this size, age related?

The problem is that here (in Macedonia) is not easy to find good samples
    Last edited by pece1976; 01-15-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks @ashtricks and @Jhon

Today I checked the fishes, the PB is chasing the Red Turq whole the time, he can barely eat, the PB is 8-9 cm while the Red Turq is 9-10, will adding 1 or 2 more change this behavior? If I add more fish do they have to be more or less the same size or adding bigger samples will not be a problem? I just checked what peppering mean, is this size, age related?

The problem is that here (in Macedonia) is not easy to find good samples

I don't know why my posts are not published

Today I checked the fishes, the PB is chasing the Red Turq whole the time, he can barely eat, the PB is 8-9 cm while the Red Turq is 9-10, will adding 1 or 2 more change this behavior? If I add more fish do they have to be more or less the same size or adding bigger samples will not be a problem?I just checked what peppering mean, is this size, age related?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast