AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravel VS Sand what is better

Default Gravel VS Sand what is better

I am really thinking about going from White gravel to White sand in my display tank... i cracked my grow tank so moveing my fish to do this is out the question. Is there a way to do this without killing my fish..&

Default Re: Gravel VS Sand what is better

You can just put a thin layer (about 1/4 to 1/2) of sand. It still makes it easy to clean like a bare-bottom.

If your display tank has the gravel in it, you can remove it slowly as to try and not stir up to much stuff. I would leave your filters on while doing this so they help grab some of the loose debris. Some people use a shop vac. I use a small dust pan (virgin dust pan/new) when moving gravel. You should not hurt your fish if done slowly. Before adding the fish, check your water parameters about an hour or two after you changed your substrate.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

thank you very much Jeff

My pleasure, good luck!
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

The safest way to remove the gravel is to put the fish into 5 gallon buckets with one of the filters running, or an air stone, and a heater. If you can't use the filters on the buckets because of strong currents, then put them on a separate 5 gallon bucket filled with tank water. That will assure that you don't lose any beneficial bacteria.

Once the fish are out of the tank, scoop out the gravel then drain the tank in order to remove all the debris that's going to float into the water. After that, give the sides and bottom a good scrub, drain a little more and then add sand, fill and you're done. Plop the filters back on, get them running and then add the fish back in.

Oh, about the filters! Some sand kicks up a lot of dust. If that happens to you, just let it settle for 30 minutes, then drain and refill the tank. You can use straight tap water for all that draining/refilling stuff prior to the point where you do the final fill. At that point add your RO water to the tank and then the discus.

How are you doing with water changes? Have you had a chance to age some tap water to see what the pH is and if it shifts over 24 hours? Are you planning to reduce the amount of RO water until you finally are using all aged tap water?
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Darnit, forgot to mention that you won't want to change out the gravel until after you've reached the point of doing daily water changes. The shock of messing with the tank right now would most likely make them sick.

For now just concentrate on slowly getting more and more clean water into the tank each day, ok?
    Toni

120g - 10

Default Gravel VS Sand what is better

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    Darnit, forgot to mention that you won't want to change out the gravel until after you've reached the point of doing daily water changes. The shock of messing with the tank right now would most likely make them sick.

For now just concentrate on slowly getting more and more clean water into the tank each day, ok?
    Will it stress discus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SANDY

In this particular case it will, because the OP is only doing a 50% water change using straight RO water every 2 weeks. If he takes out the gravel and replaces 100% of the water it will be too much of a shock for them.

If you normally do daily, or every other day water changes then it's fine to follow my outline for removing gravel and replacing it with sand. The discus won't be stressed out at all.
    Toni

120g - 10

Registered Member

You could siphon out the gravel bit by bit with each water change. Just remove the wide part of the siphon, hold it close to the bottom and watch the gravel and crap fly away.

I used 5g bucket. . 6 of them
    Took out fish.. fill up bucket with tank water
    Drained tank.. used net to pull out gravel.. poured water back
    Dumped in fish. Topped it off with fresh water
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    I used 5g bucket. . 6 of them
    Took out fish.. fill up bucket with tank water
    Drained tank.. used net to pull out gravel.. poured water back
    Dumped in fish. Topped it off with fresh water
    +1

That works too!
    DiscusLoverJeff

Confucius

StrawberryBlonde Since i have talk to you last i have been doing 45% water changes everyday useing aged tap water thank you for that info by the way.

Registered Member

From my personal experience gravel size 20. I did add the gravel with fish in the tank but I bumped up the water change for a week. I washed the gravels and removed all the sand and added the gravel wet straight to the tank.
    Its me "Prabhu" I am just a little angry these days

Quote Originally Posted by drob85 View Post
    StrawberryBlonde Since i have talk to you last i have been doing 45% water changes everyday useing aged tap water thank you for that info by the way.
    Way to go! =)

Then in that case, so long as the discus all adjusted well to the new tap water and higher pH, feel free to use the bucket method to move them out, then siphon out the gravel, wipe down the tank, add the sand, fill with water and plop your discus back in.
    Toni

120g - 10

Update the gravel to white sand in my display tank went great with no problems [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast