ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Juvies skittish?

Registered Member

Default New Juvies skittish?

I just picked up 9 quarter sized discus and they're pretty darn skittish. They're not really taking in much food that I can see, feeding beef heart and flakes but the beef heart just sits there. Temps at 86-89 degrees, in a 10 gal and I have a drip water change system going that replaces nearly all the water within 24 hours. It's been a few days and so far I've considered that their skittishness is due to the new environment. Other than throwing a few tetra's/bristol nose pelcos/ditcher fish in there I'm out of ideas on how to bring them out of their shells and get them to vigorously eat. Will providing more cover for juvies get them to eat more? Thanks

Default Re: New Juvies skittish?

try making manual water changes for a few days and see what happens
    -Ismael

Registered Member the20tonknuckler's Avatar

Soak the food in water with some garlic or buy some Kent garlic extract. The flavor of garlic will often entice them to eat.
    Discus drive me crazy.

Mike

A 10 gallon tank might just be to small for them at this point. Try lowering the temp back down to 83/84 and possibly shorten the period that you have the light on.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Imho

All fish are different. . When moved into new tank they need time to settle in..

It took 2weeks once for some fish i got to settle

Is ur tank new
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Tell us more about the tank.

Is the bottom painted/covered? I'll assume the tank is glass. Glass tanks sit on a frame and the bottom glass doesn't sit directly on a surface. This can cause a mirror effect disturbing the discus, especially babies. You may need to coat at least the bottom of the tank.

What kind of lighting? Too high light isn't great. In fact, ambient room lighting is fine. No need for dedicated light on this tank.

Water. You stated that you have a drip system operating. How is this water filtered? I'm not a huge fan of drip systems. They work (from what I hear) but large water changes are IMHO the best.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1

With my minimal experience with juvi's. Some juvis took time to settle in for me. Don't overfeed them and leave them alone for at-least 2 week to explore their new place. Watching the juvis again and again will stress them for sure and tank parameters are much needed, cycled?

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    Imho

All fish are different. . When moved into new tank they need time to settle in..

Is ur tank new

And, water aged and how long? WC% makes lot of difference too..

Registered Member

Hey all, thanks for the replies. My drip system outputs about 100% of the water daily from mid level using a siphon, and top level using an overflow. I net out any uneaten food. I hold tap water in a 30ish gallon tub and refill when the water is about 2/3. Maybe I will start doing manual water changes if necessary.

10 gal
    unpainted barebottom with background
    lights turned off for the majority of the time
    towel over tank for a day during introduction
    feeding beefheart and flakes
    temp 86-89
    sponge filter

I was told 10 gallon would be best for them at this size, for schooling, feeding, etc so I started them off in that. I also have empty 20L, 30 and 55's available that I could switch up to. It's running a sponge filter that was cycled but saturated in potassium pomegranate for a few hours but maybe I'll throw in a small HOB with cycled material from my other tank in case that was too long of an exposure to the pp.

I'll leave them alone for a while then. There is a fish swap this weekend so if dithers are a good idea now is probably the time to pick up some rummynoses/tetras

I'm 100% with Skip on this one. I've also had a crew that was totally like little pups and never spazzed out until I got one of my RCs that is very skittish at feeding time, freaks out real quick, and scares the crap out of the rest even though they come right back (it's just unnerving to me... ugghhh). Give it time though and maybe spend extra time next to the tank reading a book or something.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    Imho

Is ur tank new
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by redlionvjx View Post
    I just picked up 9 quarter sized discus and they're pretty darn skittish. They're not really taking in much food that I can see, feeding beef heart and flakes but the beef heart just sits there. Temps at 86-89 degrees, in a 10 gal and I have a drip water change system going that replaces nearly all the water within 24 hours. It's been a few days and so far I've considered that their skittishness is due to the new environment. Other than throwing a few tetra's/bristol nose pelcos/ditcher fish in there I'm out of ideas on how to bring them out of their shells and get them to vigorously eat. Will providing more cover for juvies get them to eat more? Thanks

Try to find out what they were eating before you get them. If they're not used to the food them they're not going to eat it right away. Also, turn your light off for a few days to let them settle in. Once they start eating then turn the light on.

Registered Member

remember these lil guys are quarter sized and pretty young still. they will have a natural defense mechanism to seek cover. especially since they have been thru a recent move.

my P Altum (got them at dime sized) took about 2 weeks before they figured out.. 'hey every time this dood comes in we get food'

nearly 2 years later,even as adults they do not like sudden ,moves or dark colors(shadows I suspect to them) , their love for food will always draw them out..
    I also discovered they like back light turned way down.. tho tank light remains normal.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Definitely paint the bottom of the tank. Mine were in an unpainted bottom for all of 3 days during a major renovation project and good lord, my normally outgoing discus all hid in the back and refused to eat. They didn't like seeing themselves mirrored on the bottom when they looked down for food. LOL

As others have said, keep the lights low, no need for darkness, but don't flood them with light either.

At this size they should be eating several times a day, so I worry that your drip system isn't going to be able to keep up with the pollutants in the water column. As an example of just how much fresh water they need, I did twice a day water changes which totaled 150% WC per day. That was for sub-adults.

If you're able to age 30 gallons at a time, jump right in and do one HUGE water change per day, then let the drip system do the rest for you.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Toni, fish don't reflect themselves in unpainted bare bottoms.... If you take a look from the top of your tank you won't see reflection, you will see whatever color is on the other side of the glass
    -Ismael

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Actually, they do see a mirror image of themselves. You see what's underneath when you look down because you're not in the actual water. It's all about light refraction through water, that bounces off the glass bottom. =)
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast