Thread: Discus. Facts and myths

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus. Facts and myths

Everything seems to be above board

Real Name
    Rick

Getting back on topic here:

Proper feeding of fish is one of the most important factors in maintaining the health of it in our tanks. To choose the appropriate type of food species, it is necessary to know about what they feed on in the wild.
    Here is the root problem of everything you have posted, be it your views, Heiko's views or whoever. The conclusions are drawn from the myth that what the Discus eats in the wild must in turn be the best possible diet for the fish. As John pointed out, this isn't the case at all. Sure they have adapted to survive under those conditions, but your naive to think that if a foreign food substance was introduced into the amazon, the discus would not take advantage of that as well. If this new food source was constant you would witness a higher population density of fish per acre.

Likewise, man can and does replace what an animal might normally feed upon in the wild, and in most cases improve upon it. Do they stumble upon the way? Of course they do. Is there a better alternative to beaf heart/beafheart mix? Probably so, but that is not to say a natural diet is actually better for the fish.

Everyone always assumes that if something is natural, it is better. Many theorys are predicated on this myth. Some are true, many are not.

Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 04-08-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think compasion is expressed in different ways but the common denominator is always, "how to keep big, beautiful, healthy DISCUS"...... cum by ya....
    my contribution to the forum........ lol
    [I]You can't get lost if you don't know where your going...................

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

MaiaDee we are good. You did nothing to upset or offend me. I like opinions and I like discussion. Most of the time if it goes long enough goot will come from it.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member the20tonknuckler's Avatar

I agree with John also. Been checking this thread all day. I will say however I was a member for more then a year here on the forum before I started posting. Reading threads like this can be intimidating for a newbie and sometimes words have a different context when read rather than heard. While sarcasm is my friend it isn't always evident in written text.
    Discus drive me crazy.

Mike

Registered Member the20tonknuckler's Avatar

I like opinions and I like discussion. Most of the time if it goes long enough goot will come from it.

Totally agree.
    Discus drive me crazy.

Mike

I like goot.

Registered Member

Intersting forum and opinions. Reading forums kept me from keeping discus for a very long time. Let's face it, a lot of what is posted about discus keeping contradicts other fish keeping practices. I know of no other type of fish that people would advocate feeding the heart of a cow, changing water daily, etc. I have learned a lot from researching on this forum. I have used a lot of the information to help me get started. I have also read a lot of nonsense. But that's what makes it fun. As of right now, I have 16 huge discus that seem to be happy, content, social, and amusing.

Group hug

Ps what is goot?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I am glad y'all are all good.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Default Discus. Facts and myths

Tito?

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Ohhhh myyyyyy goshhhh! Tito?? Tito!!! LOL
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Registered Member

I was a bit afraid to open and read more replies and I was hoping everyone forgot about the thread as it became pointless and didn't answer my question.
    I see someone even called me a troll afterwards. May I just ask honestly, what did you find so threatening and insulting in the following paragraph, which are the only words in the initial post that are mine? The rest is copy and paste from an article, which I see is regarded as the worst possible source of info for some reason, so I apologize for referring to it. I had no idea.

I was only researching about keeping discus, so not having any myself but I find a lot of controversial material between how discus are kept in aquariums and what they have in nature.

I found an article, sadly not in English but I used google translate. It's in regards to the discus diet. Apparently beef heart and such isn't close to anything they eat in nature or naturally need for proper health according to this anyway. Further down I have put some links to biotopes from different regions too. Even the temperatures measured aren't as high as discus are kept in tanks. Why is that?

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

It was the fact that none of this is new. It comes around every few years and the person posting it always thinks they are the first person to every post it on the forum. People just get tired of it and while it might not have been your plan most of the time someone will post something like this and they are not looking for discussion.....they are looking for praise or confirmation of what they have already decided. Because of that some of us (ok mainly me....) tend have little tolerance of it. Found that it gets resolved faster by jumping inwith both feet instead of ignoring it.

As far as I am concerned it is all good. I say we start from here and move forward.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

I don't think it was your first post that was tipped the apple cart, it was probably your second post, which I've quoted below. In that post, even though you were just summarizing, you made some very bold statements about how wrong it is to EVER feed fish of any kind to discus as well the part about it being WRONG (you capitalized it) to give them hearts of warm-blooded animals.

The final paragraph states that it makes them sick, destroys their organs and that this diet is the cause of discus being hard-to-breed fish.

So much in that second post is naive and lacks any practical basis that it boggles my mind just reading it.

How about if you take a few minutes to fill us in on who you are and what your goals are regarding discus by adding to this thread: Tell Us About Yourselves

Quote Originally Posted by DONTKNOWYET View Post
    To summarize the long thread about the diet if one can't read the bad translation, this is what's written on seriously fish in shorter words:

To Alan. The diet You wrote about is bollocks It’s a strange thing that rarely anybody thinks about what actually feeding the meet of warm-blooded animals does to the (most of) fish. In case od S. sp the results of such a diet means an outstanding growth, coloration.. Everything bigger and better than in the nature. Well.. it does sound strange, doesn’t it? In the Amazon, where they can eat what they want and need they are smaller, yet they are not underfed.

Another thing, in the natural habitat discus is a rather hardy species. It does well avoiding any problems with parasites. Why is that?

The DIET of course! Becouse DISCUS IS MAINLY A HERBIVORE SPECIES!

How so?! What are You talking abou! Blasphemy! Burn him into a crisp!

There were many dissections of discus in the wild. For polish speakers I hereby present the link:
    http://krytykaakwarystyczna.wordpres...don-w-naturze/

The unprocessed food was analised by Crampton, and the result is, that at the wet season 77% of the food was detrytus and plant matter, 5% were decapods, 10% Chironimidae larvae, 8% were composed of wood matter, bugs and Crustacea. In the dry season, the balance drifts towards bugs and crustacea (only 55% were composed ef the detrytus/plant matter).

Their intestines are not built for devouring the flesh of the warm-blooded animals. It’s typical for plant eaters.

What is the CORRECT FOOD ?

-spirulina
    -spinach
    -peas
    -other vegetables
    -shrimps
    -glassworm
    -bloodworm
    -krill

No fish meat was ever found in the stomach of a wild discus.

So it’s NOT RECOMMENDED to give them:
    -fish

And it WRONG to give them:
    -hearts of warm-blooded animals
    -or any parts of warm blooded animals.

It makes them sick, destoys their organs, especially livers. The wrong diet is the cause of the discus beeing considered as a hard-to-breed fish. It’s easy! Bit you need to mind their normal diet! The one that they were constantly exposed since thousands of years.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Yep.. that's the ticket
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast