AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Discus. Facts and myths

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Discus. Facts and myths

Agree with Toni here on the second post. It is sort of like opening the front door on the house of someone you do not know and shouting at them. You may not get a warm reception. It is much better to say hi, introduce yourself and talk a bit over a cup of coffee or similar drink.

Care to start over. Hi I'm Pat. Happy to meet ya Welcome to Simply and the world of discus keeping.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

John,
    I see the light now. And I apologize again.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaiaDee View Post
    John,
    I see the light now. And I apologize again.
    As far as I am concerned we are in a good place. Looking forward to meeting you at NADA...hint, hint.....LOL

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

I don't think it was your first post that was tipped the apple cart, it was probably your second post, which I've quoted below. In that post, even though you were just summarizing, you made some very bold statements about how wrong it is to EVER feed fish of any kind to discus as well the part about it being WRONG (you capitalized it) to give them hearts of warm-blooded animals.

The final paragraph states that it makes them sick, destroys their organs and that this diet is the cause of discus being hard-to-breed fish.

So much in that second post is naive and lacks any practical basis that it boggles my mind just reading it.

How about if you take a few minutes to fill us in on who you are and what your goals are regarding discus by adding to this thread: Tell Us About Yourselves
    My apologies for not introducing myself in the first place. .I kind of didn't realize it matters but I will correct this. The second post of my thread you are referring to as being rude is a copy and paste from seriously fish. Please see below:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...equifasciatus/

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Looking forward to meeting you at NADA...hint, hint.....LOL

-john
    YES!! AUSTIN JUNE 2014!!!!!!!

we are getting an AWESOME SHOW!!!!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Ahhhh, now see, I didn't have a clue that you were quoting someone's response to an article on SeriouslyFish!

Just know that 1 anonymous guy spouting off about how everyone is wrong about how to feed discus, and making carte blanche statements about how feeding beefheart to discus results in organ failure and difficulty in breeding them doesn't make it true. =)

Good to meet you by the way and welcome to the forums!
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Again, Welcome!

I took a look at that web page. Who is Sverting?

FWIW, the page is not very well put together. They talk about wilds and domestics together and the criteria for each of these is rather different. To be honest, that page is confusing. It appears to be a form of fish wikipedia where people contribute to the "information" but it's not checked. They also state:

"Missing information here? Our Knowledge Base is an ever-evolving work in progress, which naturally means that some species profiles contain more information than others. We're working on a daily basis to fill in all the gaps, so please have patience. This site relies heavily on the help of hundreds of people without whose valuable contributions it simply wouldn't exist. Information and photos regarding any freshwater or brackish fish species, its natural history or captive care is always much appreciated, so if you've anything you'd like to share please leave a comment below or email us."

This tells me that they are simply compiling data, some of which isn't likely accurate and certainly isn't current.

You're actually in better hands here at Simply Discus than you would be on Seriously Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by DONTKNOWYET View Post
    My apologies for not introducing myself in the first place. .I kind of didn't realize it matters but I will correct this. The second post of my thread you are referring to as being rude is a copy and paste from seriously fish. Please see below:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...equifasciatus/
    Last edited by Chad Hughes; 04-09-2013 at 04:53 PM.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Thanks. I am really sorry for the confustion. Actually, I didn't realize why my post caused such negative comments until the last few posts cleared it up

And a bit of an introduction.
    I have been keeping fish for over 20 years on and off. I have 5 tanks currently, 2x100G, 1x30G and 2 smaller tanks. I am a fan of bottom feeder species, like loaches, plecos and corydoras. Getting discus has been haunting me for some time now. I was waiting for it to pass, but it isn't leaving me alone , so that's how I came across this forum.
    Thank you all for your patience and I am looking forward to learn more from all of you.

Registered Member

Who is Sverting?
    I don't know. But I can guarantee you it isn't me. I only used his post to "summarize" because it was that post that led me to that sad article I opened the thread with.

Let's look at it this way...

Had you not woken John from his nap with your post, it may have gotten ignored. Had that happened, you'd still be thinking the post on the other forum is valid. It simply isn't and now you're the wiser for posting it up here. Yeah, there's drama here on Simply sometimes but it's always for one reason. WE ALL love our discus and want the best for them. If someone on here gives you bad info, many of us, including John, will raise the BS flag...

Some more eloquently than others.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well now that it is cleared up I am going back to sleep.......

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Thanks a lot. At least all leads to good things and the benefit of our water pets.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Well now that it is cleared up I am going back to sleep.......

-john
    wait - before you go back to sleep I wanted to ask about feeding live blackworms, in a planted tank, that only gets once a month 50% water changes.
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    wait - before you go back to sleep I wanted to ask about feeding live blackworms, in a planted tank, that only gets once a month 50% water changes.
    Well I have seen your fish so it would probably be an improvement.....LOL.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

The last person that caused an uproar like this when they first came to simply..

They later became a sponsor here..!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast