AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Discus. Facts and myths

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default Re: Discus. Facts and myths

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Toni, I once have a beautiful school of nice, fat cards...about 30/40 strong. That school still exists but the fish which are left live in the overflows. If I net them out and put them in the tank they get ate. Yum, yum. Down to three rummy nose. I have pretty much given up on dither fish except for the cories.
    I had the same thing Pat! Marlboro Man decimated the ranks day after day till there were only about 26 left, and by then they were big enough and smart enough to stay away from him. Then the "roller coaster tube of death ride" happened 2 weeks ago and left me with just 14 in the tank. As of tonight, thanks to that hunk of orange eating machine, I have 10 left.

The remaining 10 are pretty darned big, so he's going to have to learned to bite them in half if he wants to eat them. LOL

I think it's a hoot that your school has to live in the overflow. I found cories in mine once, but never had cards in there.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Quote Originally Posted by MaiaDee View Post
    They'll go after cory fry, poor babies.
    Yes they do! I have one cory baby who lived and grew, but he's the only one. The rest generally get picked right off of the glass as the eggs are laid. My discus follow the cories around and snatch them up. Any who actually manage to hatch become a fast snack.
    Toni

120g - 10

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Discus are odd in that sense... they obviously forage in the wild and if the gut analysis is to be believed in the original post, they do eat bugs and copepods and whatnot, which would lead you to believe they'd go for any small prey including fish. I have watched discus decimate small tetras. Then, in an attempt to cull an overabundance of angelfish and kribensis fry, I dumped some fry into my 150 discus community and none of them would even give the fry a second glance. I ended up raising a bunch of 2" kribs in that tank because the discus wouldn't eat them. I have no idea why they'll go after something like tetras but not tiny fry.
    So you're saying that once they taste tetra flesh, all other flesh is blech? Or maybe the fry was just too small...think about it, they'd have to eat a dozen of them to equal one tetra. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    So you're saying that once they taste tetra flesh, all other flesh is blech? Or maybe the fry was just too small...think about it, they'd have to eat a dozen of them to equal one tetra. LOL
    It seems fry would be easy pickins, though! Given that discus are used as surrogates sometimes, and Al has proven that they will raise fry other than discus fry (he used his pair to raise some angelfish), it could be that breeding discus just go into a parenting mode and don't attack fry. Mine were all laying eggs at the time but none were actually successfully hatching/raising fry because of my water hardness. Maybe there's some kind of weird on/off switch in their brain that tells them not to eat fry when they're all in breeding mode. *shrug*

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

It goes something like this. They eat what you want to keep and ignore the rest.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

So you're saying discus are like the cats of the fish hobby?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Not sure I would go that far Ryan
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member the20tonknuckler's Avatar

Omg I put in 30 rummy nose about 6 months ago. I am down to 5. Nice expensive snack.
    Sometimes I think the fish eat better then me.
    Discus drive me crazy.

Mike

I have found my discus will attack any tetras with red, wether it be eyes, nose, whatever. Ate my neons, cards too. I added some pristellas 6 months ago and haven't lost one. Oops, probably shouldn't have said that .....
    Last edited by Wjmulder; 04-10-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Darn spell check
    Bill

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678