AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealing Concrete?

Registered Member

Default Sealing Concrete?

I am planning to construct a rock wall background for my tank out of foam covered in concrete. I would like to be able to seal the concrete up so that my plecos and discus dont try to peck the pieces of concrete off and harm themselves. Can anyone recommend some kind of good sealer that is aquarium safe? Do I need to seal the concrete, or should it harden enough that it doesn't need any additional protection?

Thanks!

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Sealing Concrete?

There are a lot of you tube videos and info on making 3D backgrounds and plenty using cement. Personally I had to add cement to some drift wood to get it to sink. I encased it in epoxy. That seems to have worked out great. Does not affect my chemistry.
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    There are a lot of you tube videos and info on making 3D backgrounds and plenty using cement. Personally I had to add cement to some drift wood to get it to sink. I encased it in epoxy. That seems to have worked out great. Does not affect my chemistry.
    Yea I have done this before for a reptile cage that was for a bearded dragon so I am familiar with the process and didnt have to worry about humidity or water. What kind of epoxy did you use to seal it? Does it give it a shiny fake looking sheen to the cement?

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

It is not visible. The wood is also encased in epoxy. It had a shine but has lots of algae etc and looks great now. I used the bar top epoxy from Home Depot. Once epoxy cures it is non toxic. You will want to make sure the cement is fully cured and dry before applying the epoxy. I used several coats to make sure of complete coverage.
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

I made my 3d background using cement. Never had an issue with them chipping away the cement. Just takes along time for the ph to level it self off and stop leaching into the water. After about 3 to 4 weeks was ok, ph was still a touch high but stable.
    [I]You can't get lost if you don't know where your going...................

Registered Member

So would I be able to avoid this ph swing by sealing with epoxy? How much of a ph swing are we talking here? I'm just worried that my plecos will be able to eat off the cement, and also want to be able to scrub it without worrying about chipping it away.

Intially when I finished it with about 4 coats on it, ph off the background was about 11 or higher for about a week or two before lowering slowly that took about 2 or 3 more weeks. Ph was finally stable around 8 or so. Alot of soaking, rinsing, soaking rinsing. It takes awhile, I love it looks great but took dang alot of time and work. Took alot longer to cure than to make it. You can scrub it lightly to remove algae and such. When I setup my 110 gallon thought about doing it but got to thinking and not...bought a slimline rocky background and installed, opened the box, washed and trimmed it and was done!!!!Very easy and easy to clean without taking up alot of space. LOL I loved designing it and the whole project was fun one time..lol Good luck....

Oh and to answer your question about using epoxy, dont know if that application would be feesaable
    Quote Originally Posted by SejRamkas View Post
    So would I be able to avoid this ph swing by sealing with epoxy? How much of a ph swing are we talking here? I'm just worried that my plecos will be able to eat off the cement, and also want to be able to scrub it without worrying about chipping it away.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by troysdiiscus View Post
    Oh and to answer your question about using epoxy, dont know if that application would be feesaable
    Why would using epoxy not be feasible?

For me it wasnt, I have never used it before so cant say...I do know that when I was doing mine I researched the use of epoxy and could not find any clear answers so just didnt use it.

Registered Member

I believe its used pretty often in the marine aquarium hobby, so if it can withstand salt water I don't see why it wouldn't hold up well in fresh water.

Registered Member

Search out a source for ecopoxy. It is a very safe two part epoxy with no v.o.c. I used ecopoxy in my living room with no ventilation. It was completely odourless. It is non toxic when wet or dry. Very very safe epoxy. Dries clear and solid.

Registered Member

What about using krylon fusion clear coat as a sealer? I know krylon fusion has been used in many tanks by many people including myself with no harmful results, so would the same apply here? Would it coat enough to prevent the concrete from raising the ph of my tank?

Quote Originally Posted by SejRamkas View Post
    What about using krylon fusion clear coat as a sealer? I know krylon fusion has been used in many tanks by many people including myself with no harmful results, so would the same apply here? Would it coat enough to prevent the concrete from raising the ph of my tank?
    Sej, are you saying that you use the Krylon in the interior of the tanks???
    Jorge Q

Registered Member

I have used it to paint PVC parts before after allowing it to cure for more than a week with no ill effects at all. Many people recommend using Krylon Fusion in aquarium applications as being fish safe. I have never had a bad experience with it.

I think I found the epoxy I am going to use. It's pretty inexpensive compared to the other brands (mainly because I can buy it in the small 16 oz. quantity which will be plenty for my use). see link below. Only thing I am concerned about is there is no UV protection with this epoxy. Would this be a problem?

http://www.shopmaninc.com/epoxy.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast