AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Anostomus and discus - OK to house together?

Registered Member Fish from Philly's Avatar

Default Anostomus and discus - OK to house together?

So I had a 4" Anostomus (striped cigar fish) in my 55 gallon but gave it to my buddy after I noticed the change in behavior (and eventually death) of an apisto I had for a year plus. I attributed the death to the cigar fish since the apisto, who was once the largest in the tank and swam freely) began hiding in a cave once the similar size cigar fish was added. I now have a 150 gallon planted discus tank with tetras and am considering taking him back. He was never aggressive with other fish and basically swam around looking for food all day.

I've read they do fine in 83 temp. I know they can be fast which isn't good for discus but the RN tetras and cardinals aren't slow either and they seem to live happily together. I really enjoyed how the cigar fish would eat upside down and thought he was a pretty cool addition. If anyone has experience with these guys and discus, please share! Thanks a lot

Default Re: Anostomus and discus - OK to house together?

I think it would be fine. If they it does end up annoying your discus, you can always take it out.
    Nothing will work unless you do. ~John Wooden
    Caleb

Registered Member

Default Re: Anostomus and discus - OK to house together?

I do not know about this fish but as Caleb says you can always take it out. Good luck catching him in a 150g planted tank. Try very early in the morning or the middle of the night when the fish are resting/sleeping.