AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fresh meat in the community tank

Registered Member

Default Fresh meat in the community tank

Howdy folks!
    Though I'll probably lurk for the most part, I thought I'd throw a in case I did post.

I've had at least one tank on line for 20 years. I went through the intense phase many do in many hobbies when they get really hooked, taste success and find out it's not as hard as originally thought and did not require a degree in chemistry. I had 18 tanks online in a small townhouse for awhile and 4 were 40g tanks of Angelfish fry getting 90% changes daily. It was nuts but I wasn't paying for electricity or water in Navy housing and was having a blast. Especially when I discovered they're not nearly as sensitive as had been described to me. Shoot, I was doing changes straight from the tap, raising fry and letting the kids take bags into pet shops and sell 'em. I goofed around and got some other cichlids and gouramis to breed. I was always taken by Discus. Not too long before moving to the new house, I'd taken my ex to a ChicagoCichlidAssociation auction. She ended up buying a trio of Discus somehow. OMG! No problem. ON the way home I stopped and picked up a new 35g tank, filter and heater and broke that tank in with the new discus. They thrived until I left 6 months later to catch my last ship.

Anywho... I finally did a tune up on the old 55g this winter, added some hardscape and brought some new kids home. It's looking so nice, active and full that it's rekindled my old flame for fish keeping. I still can't make that step to saltwater that I've always wanted with a bigass Lionfish, so I've decided I'm going to add a discus tank.

Looks like a nice place in here and I appreciate being able to wander around.
    blaine/8ft

Real Name
    Wes

Default Re: Fresh meat in the community tank

Welcome to Simply
    Thank u to all guys and girls for all your help and hard work at NADA Chicago 2016 [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

I wonder if there's a 12 step program or medication for this syndrome, which is probably common. "a discus tank" has turned into three tanks and 22 fish in various stages of grow out. I'm over fished and under tanked but walking around with a stupid grin all the time.

Houston... I think we have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ftbed View Post
    I wonder if there's a 12 step program or medication for this syndrome, which is probably common. "a discus tank" has turned into three tanks and 22 fish in various stages of grow out. I'm over fished and under tanked but walking around with a stupid grin all the time.

I said the very same thing a few years ago.. Oh no honey I promise no more fish.. 13 tanks later and a dedicated 10 ft x 10 ft room, I'm still trying to figure out how to put 4 more tanks in there..
    Jorge Q

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

When you are hooked, your hooked. Only way to stop is cold turkey.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

aw crap... i was hoping ya'll had a magic answer for me.

I should've heeded some earlier advice: Get Out!

/blaine

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Too late
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

I have an addicts thread in my homesteader. You can start by tinroducing yourself there lmao!
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Registered Member

Save me a seat.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

An addiction yes, but a good one as far as I can tell. I enjoy my addiction. Thankfully my husband puts up with it all and I can even trust him to feed tanks. Just nothing else with them other than watching and enjoying the views. I tried to teach him to do wc's when I had arm surgery, but that didn't work. I am not allowed to put a tank in his den or our bedroom, otherwise all other rooms are OK. Enjoy it all Blaine!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

Ha... is there a tv in 'your' bedroom? I bet he watches more than you. Just in case you're feeling testy one day, throw that card on the table to squeeze a tank in the boudoir.

Just about all addictions (at least what I've succumbed to) are money pits though. Even you might sell/swap something and give you a temporary sense of justification, it doesn't scratch the surface of the outlay of case. I think that's what creates a lot of small time breeders (fish,dog,cat,OctoMoms), propagators, builders (skateboard/longboard) and stuff. You want more of what you're doing but really can't afford it. Buy, breed, sell! Yeah!! That'll make some money and give me lots and lots of stuff around.

"One thing leads to another" seems to be a common denominator of my obsessions. Go to a nursery and OH MAN, MUST HAVE! I'll figure out where to put it when I get home which usually means more work because I have to move stuff around or cull to accommodate. That or coerce my buddy into taking something to free up room for me.
    Now I've got a pair of 40g breeders (courtesy of SD alerting me to the PetCo $1 a gallon sale) which in turn will require tops and stands which I don't have.

I need to go find Brandon's addiction thread.

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

I need to go find Brandon's addiction thread.
    LOL at least introduce yourself. I was the same way. Then you have so many tanks and fish you realize you don't have enough time or you need a helper and they usually don't work for free. So then it's time to downsize a bit.
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    I am not allowed to put a tank in his den or our bedroom, otherwise all other rooms are OK.
    Ha... is there a tv in 'your' bedroom? I bet he watches more than you. Just in case you're feeling testy one day, throw that card on the table to squeeze a tank in the boudoir.
    Wait a minute...

We have a 54 corner discus tank in our bedroom...

Maybe we should go find that thread too.
    tnaqua.org member
    No aquatic creatures were harmed in the creation of this signature, although a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Real Name
    Merry

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    Wait a minute...

We have a 54 corner discus tank in our bedroom...

Maybe we should go find that thread too.
    In our defense, we don't have a tv in the bedroom.